Dry Skin Patches on fingers

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Dry Skin Patches on fingers

9075333?1367431845
About a year ago I discovered a spot of dry skin on my thumb. When I was at the family Dr. for an unrelated matter I asked him about it to which he replied... "Looks like dry skin" and advised me to try some cortisone on it. The cortisone didn't seem to make a difference and over the next 6 months, it seemed to spread to my index finger covering the top 3/4 on all sides and part of my other hand. I decided to see a Dermatologist. After answering a lot of questions (I use Dove soap, no known allergies, not in contact with any harsh products, haven't changed detergents, dont excessively wash hands, etc.)...  she said she didn't believe it to be eczema, and it was just really dry skin. She suggested that I use a few OTC lotions and gently file the areas with an emory board. Since then I have not been able to make any progress and it seems like it continues to spread. I have cut soda from my diet and now drink water. I apply lotion many times per day and wear cotton gloves at night. I even wear vinyl gloves in the shower because the water makes it worse. The skin is very thick, leathery and maybe discolored. I don't know what else to do, so I am hoping someone here may be able to help.
I have some dry skin and was wondering where you buy emery board?