Dermatology Expert Forum
Dry Skin on Penis Head

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Dry Skin on Penis Head

I guess I have had this since I went through puberty which is now at least 8 years ago now, the problem I have is that I have what seems to be dry skin on the head of my penis, it does not hurt and there is no inflammation around it either hence why I have not bothered with it before but now being in a relationship it does give me confidence issues from time to time.

I can sometimes peel it off too and again does not hurt but when I peel it it appears again in the exact same place, I have searched everywhere for an answer but can't seem to find one relevant to me. Also I am not circumcised in case that is important.

http://postimg.org/image/sx2g8xk8n/

http://postimg.org/image/s5ctrwgen/

http://postimg.org/image/thxh0bmbl/

I also do not suffer from dryness during sexual activities and I am a very clean person as in an average person clean not over excessive or disgusting.
Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern for the dry skin on penis.

There are few reasons which can cause such dryness of skin of penis. First of all, it can be due to contact dermatitis to soaps or toiletries and can be reversed by using mild soaps like Cetaphil or Dove. Other than that, masturbation without the use of some type of lubricating agent can also lead to dry skin of the penis. You can use water based lubricants and see if the symptoms persist.

If the dryness of penis skin continues even after these measures, then few possibilities need to be ruled out. These include dermatitis skin, eczema or fungal infection of the skin of penis causing balanitis. Balanitis is an inflammation of the glans (glands) (the rounded head) of the penis and may be related to yeast infection or poor hygiene. What you need to do is consult a dermatologist and get a KOH examination of the skin scrapings of the penis and a biopsy of small skin sample done if the symptoms persist. KOH examination of the area will clarify whether it is balanitis due to fungal infection or not.

Eczema caused redness and itching sensation along with dry skin. If you are not having itching then the possibility of this cause is less and it can be due to dermatitis skin which is an inflammation of the skin or due to skin irritation due to rubbing with clothes.

Get the investigations done from the dermatologist which I have mentioned above. You should also maintain hygiene and try to keep the area clean and dry, wear loose-fitting cotton clothing. Also use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid deodorant / cosmetics.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you get better soon.

Wishing you good health.