Dry flaky spots on scalp
I have had dry flaky patches of skin on my scalp and in one ear for quite a few years.  When the patch is picked off it just comes back.  I used to have one on my shoulder that eventually went away. I have been prescribed clotrimazole and betamethasone by my family doctor and have refilled it 3 times.  I use it consistently including putting it on as long as 2 weeks after it clears up and it works but then a few months later it comes back.  I have been through this process a couple of times.  I now have more spots on my head than ever.  The spots do not cause my hair to fall out.
The symptoms are suggestive of seborrheic dermatitis. It is usually caused by overgrowth of Malassezia furfur. This skin disease commonly affects adolescents and young adults, especially in warm and humid climates and is aggravated by sweating and humidity.

Topical antifungals and mild steroids are the usual treatment and combination of the two can be used to treat stubborn patches. Oral antifungal drugs and immunomodulators such as tacrolimus and pimecrolimus are used in very severe cases. The other possibilities are of eczema, lupus erythematosus or dermatitis. Best would be to consult a dermatologist and get biopsy skin done to confirm the diagnosis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.