Dry scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Dry scalp

I have a very dry scalp. Ive used sevrel different things to cure it but they only work for a few days. I wash my hair and its fine for most of the day, but later into the day, it gets itchy and flaky again. I try to wash my hair every other day (or else it gets really dry if I wash it more), but sometimes it gets so flaky, I have no choice but to wash it. Its large flakes. Im really beyound frustrated with this. Please help!
It can be due to dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis, also called as adult cradle cap. Eat a healthy diet. You can also take vit B6 and vit A and E which are good for hair and skin. Try medicated shampoos for dandruff. There are a number of over-the-counter shampoos available that can help. The most effective ingredients -- antimicrobials -- to look for are zinc pyridinethione, selenium sulfide, sulfur and ketoconazole (also available by prescription). If your hair is colored, don't use products with selenium sulfide or sulfur.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.