Dermatology Expert Forum
Dry skin and Tiny bumps on lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Dry skin and Tiny bumps on lip
Hi Dr. Rockoff,

Seems like I have just developed this problem over the past year or so.  My lips seem to get really chapped, they burn and get red.  I have also noticed some small bumps all over my lip, they are kinda white in color but also the same color as my lips.  I can feel them if I rub my lips together and can also see them if I look real close at my lips.  They burn maybe a little but I think maybe thats because my lips are so dry.  What could this be?  I went to see my doctor last year and she diagnosed me with chapped lips and told me to use Vaseline.  Can you tell me what this might be and what I can so to treat this?  Thanks for your help.
These are most likely sebaceous (oil) glands, that you can see when the lips are reddened.  They mean nothing.  Have a doctor look and confirm this, so you can stop thinking about it.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
It only seems to happen in the winter time, is that normal?
My lips are super dry and I woke up this morning with little tiny bumps surrounding the outline of my mouth within/on the lower and upper lip! I usually use Vaseline but ran out yesterday so I used medicated neosporin. Is this a reaction? Please help, I'm really crusty and bumpy!
Thanks BumpyLips