Dry skin around anal area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Dry skin around anal area

Recently, I have had a skin irritation around my anal area. It is not itchy, but is painful. The closest condition I have to relate this to is diaper rash. I do not touch it or scratch it, but it gets worse when I walk or sit often. I looked at it today and noticed some parts are starting to get red and irritated. Again, it does not itch and isnt always painful except when I am walking a lot or sitting and standing often. Also, frequent bathroom trips can also irritate it. The only theory I have is irritation from sweating. I have looked up this on the internet and was very unsuccessful. Please help with any information of what it could be or any good over the counter medications and or home remedies. Thank you

There could be several causes for the symptoms you are having. You should reconsult with your doctor to rule out the following possible causes -

'Perfumes, chemicals, or dye on toilet paper can cause an allergic reaction.

Moisture from sweat or diarrhea may cause itching. If the anal skin stays wet, the skin begins to break down.

Some foods irritate the anus when they are expelled during a bowel movement. The most common culprits are caffeine, chocolate, beer, nuts, dairy products, and spicy food.

Infections such as pinworms, yeast, and genital warts can cause itching.

Hemorrhoids, which cause painful swelling of blood vessels in the anal area, can cause itching.

Cancer, in rare instances, may be a cause.'

There are certain factors which predispose to the risk of developing anal itching as a symptom.

'Factors that put people most at risk for anal itching are as follows:

Diabetes

Recent antibiotic use

Chronic dry skin conditions such as psoriasis and seborrhea

Profuse sweating.'

Do discuss these with your doctor and exclude any possible causes in your case.

Post us if you need any further information and let us know about how you are doing.

Regards.
I have had this issue for many .... many years. After a lot of discomfort while trying to figure this problem out, I discovered I am sort of ... allergic to my own feces.  In addition, if there is a drop of semen left on me after sex with my husband, it's like a drop of acid on my skin, burns, blisters, it's horrible.  Using a lot of TP trying to keep clean after a bowel movement would cause bleeding.  I finally found my answer with a bidet toilet seat. It is necessary for me to be completely clean after each bowel movement or sex. If I'm not at home I keep a refillable mustard or catsup container with me. There are also portable bidets you can purchase. Hope this helps someone out there, I know I was so miserable for a very long time.