Dry skin on finger won't go away

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Dry skin on finger won't go away

I've had this dry spot on my finger for a long time that just doesn't seem to want to go away. I've tried numerous lotions (Eucerin hand lotion and Aquaphor and some others) and I even tried some wart remover because I thought it could be that but nothing seems to work. It's right next to my knuckle. Does anyone have any idea of good lotions to use or whether this is some type of condition that I need to see a doctor for? The skin isn't just dry, it has become very thick and leathery and is somewhat gross to the touch if i want to hold hands with a girl so it is somewhat embarassing. I'd like to get rid of it somehow but just don't know.

Thanks for the help...

Since when have you noticed the lesions? Is there any history of trauma or injury to the site? Are you exposed to any chemicals at work? Do you wear a ring in that particular finger?

It could be eczema, sweat dermatitis, allergic reactions or eczema.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eczema

Let us know if you need any further information.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.
Thank you for your reply.

I noticed the dry skin almost 2 years ago but back then it was not bad and seemed to come and go but recently it has begun to get much worse (about 6 months ago).  I don't recall if there was any trauma to the region and I don't wear a ring and am not exposed to any harsh chemicals.  I also have good hygiene although some would say that I probably wash my hands more than the average "clean freak."

I am also not aware that I have any allergies.  I have normally oily skin elsewhere on my body (very acne prone skin) so using lotion is not part of my normal routine.

I will try your suggestions and see how it works. I think cortizone will help me because I tend to scratch the spot quite often which makes it much worse.  Hopefully if I can moisturize it and leave it alone it will work itself out.

I will try to update you on it in awhile.

Thanks again...
Hello I am just wondering if this was ever cured and how you managed it.  I have the same problem on the pad of my right thumb and the side of the middle joint of my right index finger.  it started as only the thumb but then it appeared to spread to the index finger and now it's worse there.  It does not itch though; just very dry, hard, and flaky, and eventually cracks.  no matter what lotions I use it does not go away.  
i have the same issue on my pointer finger on my left hand...i use a nail file to "get rid" of it, but it comes right back...I too thought maybe it was a planters wart...but nothing gets rid of it...now i am thinking....cancer?  oh dear...I always think the worst but what in the world could it be...it is NOT eczema, i know this for sure i too have no allergies do not wear a ring on the finger....very curious...
I believe I have the same thing on my right middle and ring inner finger at the knuckle closest to the hand. It is dry and flakey and will not go away sometime it seems to get worse with lotion other times it seems to get better but always eventually cracks. I am a helicopter mechanic in the united states army and have use POL products frequently and to my ignorance and stupidity did not use gloves. But those are the only 2 areas affected and seeing these other testomonies it doesn't sound like that is the issue but what do i know. Anyways looking for some kind of answer. Thanks
I have the same issue, I've had this spot of dryness that feels leathery and cracked on my index finger. It's been there for at least 2 years and no lotion helps. I also do get eczema which is why I'm pretty sure this isn't eczema. The only thing I could come up with is it could be as a result of some chemical from my general or organic chemistry labs. Is there anything else this could be other than eczema?
Thanks.
I have it too, on my thumb, been a little over a year. The spots about half an inch in diameter and sometimes it itches like crazy and has little bumps, but most of the time it is dry, somewhat hardened/thickened and has tiny paper-cut looking cracks running through it. I worked in restaurants for years and got this when I was a bartender, I believe it is what we affectionately refer to as "Bar Rot." Apparently it is either a bacterial or fungal type infection caused by washing hands too much, drying hands out, cutting or touching citrus fruits, soaps, cleaning detergents, etc. (Obviously you don't have to be a bartender to get it, we just have to wash our hands a lot, which are exposed to many dif harsh substances and citrus and everything else under the sun...) Randomly, I found a cure (I think). My next step was to purchase the cream for onchy-whatever it is called nail infections, but this stuff worked and it was by accident. I want to tell you what exactly it is but I am not sure. It is a large blue container with a white screw top. The cream is a "all natural medicated lotion" and I bought it online when my friend talked me into doing a parasite cleanse about 8 months ago. Just googled it, pretty sure it was "HumaWorm" but they have other natural products and such and  anyways, I got the medicated cream after reading the reviews and I never really used it, until my stupid thumb was itching like crazy one day and I put that on it and noticed almost an immediate "better" feeling. It wasn't like a miracle, but it felt much better. So I kept putting it on and now my thumb feels almost normal and the cracks are nearly gone. Hopefully it stays this way! Wasn't too expensive, def worth a try rather than going to a doctor or waiting and having the fungus or bacteria spread to other places or get under your nail to where you have to insert a needle to drain the purulent discharge...yummy. Sorry, best of luck!
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers