Dry skin under Beard

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Dry skin under Beard

I've have dry flaky skin under my beard and eyebrows pretty much all the the time.  I apply moisterizer after my showers and in the mornings before work...to no effect.  It doesnt itch or burn...just flaky and embarrasing because i look like i've been eating glazed donuts or soemthing.  I drink plenty of water daily and i take multivitamins as well.  not sure why i mention that but if that informations helps.  Is there any suggestions as to what i can to do solve this problem?

With out itching the diagnosis becomes limited, i think the cause can be either dandruff or dust.
Do you notice any bumps or pustules?
Do you have discharge of any kind from any sites?
Have you noticed excessive hair fall from these areas recently?

It may not be difficult for your doctor to establish the true cause. All that would need would be a visit. However, sometimes its difficult to eliminate the cause so easily, since its built on our lifestyle.

Let me know the answers to your questions and keep posting on any developments.

Best regards
It doesn't itch but i can feel when its dry and flaky so i'll scratch to try and break it loose to get rid of it.  No bumps or pustules...no discharge or anything of that nature.  Just dry flaky skin.
My husband has this same problem.It isn't on a daily basis it comes and goes. He also can feel when it is coming on. it is mor annoying then anything.I have had him use Dandriff shampoo once a week and that seems to be working!! so try that out.Hope that helps.
Sounds like me and your husband share the same problem.  I use head and shoulders all the time and i've used it on my face as well but I dont remember it ever really helping much.  Willing to try again though.  :-)  Thank you for your input.

This may be dust and some sweat from the scalp which may make it appear like some flakes.

However, a visit to the doctor would be most helpful.

You may use any cosmetics, but remember to use them only in moderation and only after allergy testing to make sure there are no ingredients which are allergic.

Best regards,
B
Dont use just head & shoulders try TEA TREE OIL shampoo (like from the hair salon
I have the same problem and currently use this method to preven or eliminate said issue.  If my face begins to itch I use a specific dandruff shampoo.  Selson Blue is what works best for me.  But you have to use the one with the red cap b/c it's much more potent than all the rest in their line.  First you wash your neard with the Selson Blue(RedCap) and towel it dry.  Let it dry completely on it's own for 15-20 minutes or blow dry it.  Then use a beard conditioner of your choice the following morning.  I like to let the active ingredients in the Selson Blue absorb into the skin after the evening shower and then put conditioner in the morning that dries quickly so dust or other particals do not get attached.  I do this once a week and it eliminates my problem.  I discovered this treatment one day when I was using this brand of shampoo and it fell on my face un lathered and it stung at first, but make me feel refreshed after lathering it in.  And I had it bad too with a really bad rash that would follow dryness that was left untreated.  I hope this helps.

Good Luck,

Ken
  I have had the exact same symptoms for years...  no itching, just dry flakey skin under my goatee.  I used dandruff shampoo to combat the situation to no avail.  I did switch to Tea Tree shampoo and it is more comfortable, but still had flakes.
  I found that my problem was caused by improper drying after bathing.  The hard, mineral saturated water would sit in my goatee for quite a while after showering, especially if I was in a hurry, and would soften and dry out my skin.  I now have solved this problem by combing before my shower, toweling off my chin excessively afterward, and then blow drying my goatee while combing.  I have not had flakes for about 3.5 months now and I am back to wearing black shirts!
  I hope this will help someone.  Take care.
My husband gets red itchy rash when he grows a beard, we have uesed lotion and neosporin. What do you think? It is only in the beard area.