Dry skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Dry skin

Recently I went on a trip to Dubai (during the summer- June/July) and it was extremely hot. Because I was sweating so much and because of the heat, I developed this dryness around my neck area (and only around that area). I looked everywhere and everyone seems to be saying that it's heat rash, but I don't think so. It doesn't itch, and it's not red or anything. I'm black so now the dryness gives my skin some discoloration. Can someone please tell me what it is? Sometimes when it's really dry it itches, so I put some moisturizers on there, but the discoloration is still there (the dry patches look lighter than the rest of my body). Can anyone help me? Thanks!
Dry skin results when there is not enough water in the stratum corneum for it to function properly. Too much soapy water, exposure to harsh chemicals, the normal aging process and certain types of skin diseases are some of the causes of decreased amounts of protective skin oils which in turn causes dry skin.

The mainstay of management is liberal use of moisturizers after washing with luke warm water. Soap should be used minimally. Moisturizers should be reapplied liberally during the day.You can also use a topical cortisone (steroid) cream or ointment like dermacort(hydrocortisone). Adding a humidifier to the central heating system of your home or using a humidifier also helps.

If still the symptoms persist then possibility of eczema or atopic dermatitis should be ruled out.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.