Dye allergy?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Dye allergy?

I have recently discovered that I am allergic to nickel and cobalt. I am 50 and have never suffered allergies before although I do experience psoriasis sine age 9 . Last night I wore a new dark blue 100 percent scarf. Within 2 hours the front of my neck became hot and itchy and my skin broke out in patches which had spread by the morning to covering my neck. Felt and looked like burns. Can't understand what is happening to my skin on my neck, breaks out in this rash frequently and I can't seem to link a specific cause. Although this time could it have been the dye in the scarf?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
I may be able to confirm the exact cause of your symptoms only after a clinical examination. As you mentioned you have been having this rash on and off, has it responded to antihistaminics in the past? If it has responded to antihistaminics then it is due to some allergy. It may be possible that this rash is due to allergy to the fabric of the scarf or dye used. In contact dermatitis the rash resembles a burn mark. The diagnosis of this condition is mostly based on the skin appearance and a history of exposure to an irritant or an allergen. Allergy testing may determine the allergen causing the reaction. Application of emollients or moisturizers helps in keeping the skin moist and also helps in the repair of skin. Mild corticosteroid skin creams may help in reducing inflammation. See a dermatologist for confirming the cause.
Best luck and take care!
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers