Dyshidrosis.. HELP

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Dyshidrosis.. HELP

I somehow recently contracted what I'm positive is dyshidrotic eczema. The top of my left ring finger  (surrounding the nail) is absolutely covered with clusters of small blisters, and at the very tip there is one big blister covered in a layer of cracked skin. There are a few more random tiny blisters, including two on my palm, but the main problem area (and where I first noticed blisters) is that one finger.

The odd thing is, I've read that this is a chronic condition.. and I've never had it before. My diet hasn't changed. I'm thinking I may have come across a plant I'm allergic to while walking my dog.. but then I walk him all the time and it's never happened before.

Figuring out how it happened is probably a moot venture at this point.. but how should I treat it? I have a hydrocortisone cream for the itching and have been taking Benadryl.. the itching actually isn't that bad. It's just really unsightly to look at and hard to use that particular finger as it's so blistered and bumpy.

I don't believe it's infected. It's not warm and when the blisters do weep it's clear. The one giant blister is disconcerting though. Should I pop the big one and leave the others be? Or just wait them all out? 2-3 weeks seems to be the consensus 'wait it out' time, and it's only been a few days.

I'm a 25 year old male and like I said I've never had this happen before. What steps should I take? I've read about treatments ranging from high grade H202 to Vinegar.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Ideally I'd just hop over to the local dermatologist but I don't have insurance.

Luke
For dyshidrotic eczema, wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide). These are available under prescription. Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist.

I hope this helps Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.

Thank you for your response. The itching is under control and the clusters are gone, but now one big fluid-filled blister surrounds my finger nail. Should I just keep the area clean and wait for it to recede?
Apply mild steroid cream and if the bump itches, then you can take some antihistaminic like Benadryl.
I hope that helps. Take care and regards.

I'm 14, and I've had this for about a month now. After you wash it, let it air out and be very gentle with the blisters, DONT POP THEM!! I've tried this and it just makes them burn, hope this helps