Dysplastic mole Removal

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Dysplastic mole Removal

First let me start off my saying I’m a hypochondriac and this stuff worries me intensely and causes me to have panic attacks. It has been a nightmare two months waiting for mole biopsy results and having surgeries.

Originally at the end of August I went to a dermatologist for the first time just for a check-up and had two mildly atypical moles removed from my back and one severe atypical from the upper right-hand corner of my head. All were shaved biopsied first, and then completely excised with stitches (surgery). I then had another aggressive skin check and all those 3 moles came back normal.

I had the severly dysplastic mole removed from my forehead about 3 weeks ago. As it has healed, I noticed another brown pigment (mole?) that formed right above the scarline (but still not quite touching it).  It was hard to see and just noticed it the past few days because it had been so bloody in that area. He looked it and my chart which definitely showed clear margins. Honestly, it doesn't look anything like the severe mole that was removed - and that is me saying so myself because as a hypochonraic I’ve stared at it for hours on end. There was also a tiny mole next to the severe mole but it was raised and he said was definitely not a threat and took that out as well b/c it was in the way of the surgery of getting rid of the severe one. He said not possible since its only two weeks for the dysplastic mole to grow back because its such a short amount of time (plus it had clear margins). He wasn't too concerned about it saying that it could be watched and to come back in two months. He’s usually the type of doc who is very insistent and removes even mild atypical moles. But b/c he knows I am a hypochondriac he went ahead and biopsied it to make me feel better. I'm hoping it will be normal, as the last 3 have been. He said if it does come back dysplastic he says I’ll just have that area removed and won't have to do the complete excision again (cause its right there by the other excision)

I am just nervous about this mole popping up like that next to the scar line, is that possible? He said its just beyond it so it can't be part of what was removed before b/c obviously a margin of skin is taken. But I am still worried that it is still part of it and that the clear margins thing was wrong (where the hypochondria in me kicks in). He said its light brown, oval shaped, and doesn't look like a concern but biopsied it anyway because I panic a lot. The other small raised mole mole I had before, I remember him telling me he was removing it which is why I asked him about if that could possibly be it and he said it was removed. So I am scared, because this mole was not there before. Granted it looks fine, but how can it just pop up?!

As a hypochondriac another one of my greatest fears believing the pathologists in clear margins. I have read stories when they say clear margins with melanoma where it wasn't really "clear"... and years later these people had melanoma all throughout their body and died from it. What about dysplastic moles with clear margins but not really "clear margins".... would they just grow back and you could see it? I am just so afraid that it will develop melanoma under my skin and I won't know about it.
For anyone who reads this in the future, the additional pigment that was found on my head that was biopsied came back completely normal. I asked my derm why it would be there and show up after the surgery and she said just from digging the other one out could have caused some pigment to come up. But nonetheless the results were normal so it was not any part of the dysplastic mole they removed, plus those margins from that mole had come back clear anyway!