Dermatology Community
Ear itching
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Ear itching

I've had an issue with my ear for coming up on three months now.  First, there was a breakout on the inner rim of my ear, which took weeks to heal.  It would scab over, but the healing never was complete enough where when the scab was removed, it was fine underneath.  Shortly thereafter, the same spot would itch.  I've had it looked at, nothing seems visible.  A dermatologist gave me a strong cortizone cream to take care of it, which did nothing.  Another doctor prescribed me Cipro eardrops, which did nothing at first.  The directions stated to use two drops twice a day.  I used four drops after the first week, which seemed to lessen the itching.  It's my right ear, and when I tilt my head to the left, so my right ear is the raised one, this can cause an onset of the itching.  It will also worsen if I keep my head tilted.  Tilting my head the opposite way will lessen the itching.  I'm currently using the strongest OTC cream I could find for fungal infections, as the antibiotic did not eliminate the issue, there wasn't any pain at the site, and I haven't had any fever of any sort, and I realize these medications can take weeks to work, but it doesn't seem to be lessening the itch any more than the original decrease.  The itch happens around the time I'm supposed to reapply, be it for the drops or the lotion.  I've also tried saltwater rinses.
Tags: Itching