Eczema Advice

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Eczema Advice

Hi Doctor,

Thankyou for your time. Approxiamtely 4 months ago I was diagnosed with Eczema on the face. I was given daktacort hydrocortisine to manage the flare-ups which has controlled the eczema. However after using the cream for about 3 months I began to develop an area of redness on one side of my nose which goes across my cheek bone. It seems to be very sensitive to the sun, after I wash my face and in certain environments.

Grateful for your advice.

It can be due to steroid induced rosacea. Steroid induced rosacea or dermatitis is an adverse effect of using steroids. Some patients develop steroid-induced rosacea within weeks of applying a topical steroid; others may not experience it for years.

Using tacrolimus often resolves the itch, redness, and tenderness of steroid-induced rosacea but it should be taken after a dermatologist’s guidance. Avoiding rosacea triggers, such as caffeine, spicy foods, and alcohol, also may help clear the skin. If the symptoms persist then please consult a dermatologist. Also use of antibiotic creams, antihistaminics, sun screens helps but consultation of a dermatologist is required first.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Are you aware of a condition called Red Skin Syndrome caused by overuse of topical steroids?