Eczema and Menthol (Negative Side Effects?)

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I have suffered from eczema on my eyelids for years and recently I have found that applying a lotion with menthol (Gold Bond) 0.5% relieves the problem. However, I am concerned as to whether or not it is safe to use this body lotion on my eyelids. Is it safe to use a lotion with menthol on my eyelids? Will it damage the thin eyelid-skin or eye?I previously used prescribed steroid creams but worried about thinning skin and damage to my eyes. Does menthol have any negative side effects that I should be aware of? I have not gotten the lotion in my eye but it does make my eyelids tingle after using it (sometimes causing tears to form from the sensation, not getting any in the eye). Is menthol safe for eyelid skin/eyes?
I don't know what damage it can cause (beside blinding you, be careful!) But I know the use of lotion, whether it be face lotion or body lotion, is never recommended on or around the eyes. If any of it were to get into your eye it could cause problems with the eye itself. I'm not sure of the damage it could cause to your skin but I would be more worried about my sight!

I too suffer from eczema in a rather inconvenient area - during the fall & winter months my top lip breaks out really bad! I have tried all kinds of things but the only thing I have found that works is cortisone shots from my doctor. I normally get 1-2 shots a year and that keeps my skin free & clear. I start to notice my skin clearing within hours of getting the shot, believe it or not! Maybe that's something you should check into!