Eczema and fungus

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Eczema and fungus

I recently went to a Dr. that diagonsed me with "hand eczema". I have had it since Aug 2007. The dr. gave me pamphlets on hand eczema and the paper said that some eczema is associated with a fungus that also affects the soles of your feet. When I intially went to the dr my feet where already infected. The nails on my hands are also discolored and grow in what I can only describe has "ripples" and crumble off. I have been seeing this dr since January and am not happy with my progress. He has had me on a clotrimazole and betamethasone cream twice a day with gloves and bandages plus clobetasol prop. 0.05%sol twice a day for 6 months. My condition is only worsened and the meds are very costy!! I feel like I am not being treated proplerly though my dr. insists that he is right. Actually he said "I am the dr. I know what Iam talking about" Could u please let me know what this fungus that is sometimes associated with eczema is called so that I can research it better? Thank you.
Eczema is a skin inflammatory condition. When the normal protective barrier of the skin is disrupted (dry and cracked), it allows easy entry for bacteria or fungi, which are normally present on the surface of the skin.

Consequently, those with eczema or other skin problems get ringworm [or other Onychomycosis related conditions] more easily because the protective barrier of the skin's outer layer is less intact.

Onychomycosis means fungal infection of the nail. Onychomycosis caused by dermatophytes is also known as tinea unguium (tinea of the nails).
The nail plate can have a thickened, yellow, or cloudy appearance. The nails can become rough and crumbly, or can separate from the nail bed.

Treatment of onychomycosis is challenging because the infection is embedded within the nail and is difficult to reach. As a result full removal of symptoms is very slow and may take a year or more.

Most treatments are either systemic antifungal medications such as terbinafine and itraconazole, or topical such as nail paints containing ciclopirox or amorolfine.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onychomycosis

Those with eczema or other skin problems get ringworm [or other Onychomycosis related conditions] more easily because the protective barrier of the skin's outer layer is less intact.
Thank u for ur answer. My daughter recently developed a ringworm on her arm and the I thought "How did she get that?!" Anyway, I got her meds and have been using them on the soles of my feet as well and they are showing major improvement after only two days without even using my other prescribed meds........I'll let u know how it turns out. However I am not sure if I should use it on my hands. I think I'll see how my feet turn out first. Again thank you for ur advice.
I have a 6 years old daughter, I figured last months, that while she's eating or after her lunch or supper sometimes, she will have red bumpy spots on her face, i tried to look on her body nothing found, just on all her face???I can't figure out why?? what her problem? is she allergic to some kind of food?? or there is any medical reasons which i don't know?
Tks for Your big help
Rita