Dermatology Expert Forum
Eczema of the lips

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Eczema of the lips

When I was about 12, I developed HSV-1 on my lips (I also have eczema on my hands).  While that did heal, over the years I did have problems with my lips from time to time.  And then in the summer of 2003, I sun burned my lips
Most chronic cheilitis (eczema of the lips) in young women is triggered by some irritation, followed by repeated lip-licking.  Trying to heal lips that constantly licked is like trying to heal hands that are washed twenty times a day.  On the other hand, telling yourself not to lick your lips is like trying to tell yourself not to smile.  So it's tough.  I recommend that a culture or biopsy be considered to look for yeast, though that's uncommon.  I doubt very much that you have an infection or relevant allergy.  My advice is to use nothing other than a bland over-the-counter moisturizer like Aquaphor ointment at bedtime, and a lighter one like Lubriderm during the day.  You may find that occasional use of a mild steroid can help, at least for short periods.  But if you're looking for a "cause" or a "cure," you're likely to be disappointed.  Get yourself as comfortable as you can, and over time, if you're able to stop thinking about your lips, their sensitivity may well subside.  That's been my experience with other patients I've seen with similar conditions.

Good luck.

Dr. Rockoff
Dr. Rockoff,

I had also asked about the affects of using food coloring directly on the lips.

Any thoughts?
Not familiar with any such effects, one way or another.  It sounds innocuous, though.

Dr. Rockoff
One final thing Dr.: I am allergic to lanolin.  That seems to only leave vasoline.  Any further ideas?
Not really.  Vaseline is a good moisturizer.  How do you know you're allergic to lanolin?  Besides, the lanolin in creams like Eucerin is bound to the other ingredients and not available to cause reactions on the skin, even in people who are allergic...

Dr. Rockoff
For many years, I used Carmex.  Then it irritated my lips.  Then my dermatologist had me use Aquaphor.  Used it for a long time, then it irritated my lips.  So my dermatologist figured that I was most likely allergic to lanolin and that I should try vaseline.  So this keeps things pretty limited.  Any thoughts?
Not realy, beyond the ones I already shared.

Dr. Rockoff
Hi,we are from china we have some chinese herbal cream made from very ancient recipy for psoriasis and eczema.
you may read our testimony for your reference as below: http://www.csdcc.com/zen-cart/index.php?main_page=page_2&zenid=083d5f88e2f30cc081f58a14fcbe4096
you may read individual case at the page: http://www.csdcc.com/zen-cart/index.php?main_page=page_3&language=en&zenid=083d5f88e2f30cc081f58a14fcbe4096

hope you to have dramatical changes of your skin.

yours
CSDCC ONLINE SHOP
http://www.csdcc.com/zen-cart/index.php?main_page=index&language=en
http://www.csdcc.com
Skype ID:zkf3868
MSN: ***@****
Hello Kris.  Wow, your description of the oozing and crusting blisters on your lips, particularly the edges of the lips, is exactly what I have been looking for from someone else, as I also suffer from this and eczema on my wrists and fingers.  And more interestingly is the Dr.'s comment about testing for yeast.  I have recently been doing lots of research for my chronic symtoms (symptoms) including this mouth eczema, eczema on my hands, athelete's foot and vaginal yeast infections.  Everything I have read points to an overgrowth of candida yeast in my body.  I've looked into treatments and just today I have purchased what is called ThreeLac.  It is a combination of three probiotic bacteria which will (hopefully) attack the yeast and begin to kill it.  I suggest you read about candida yeast and see if you find some symtom matches, it has really helped me identify my problem.