Dermatology Expert Forum
Eczema on the bottom of scrotum

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Eczema on the bottom of scrotum

I have had a rash on the srotum for about a month now. It first started out at the bottom of the scrotum towards the anus, and now it seems as if the whole scrotum might be infected. It itches alot and sometimes it feels like its burning. On one side of the scrotum it looks ashy and chapped like it needs lotion or somthing, and the scrotum appears to have more wrinckles than normal. At first I started to scratch it and then a bump appeard, but it didnt seem like it had a head. There was never a cluster of bumps that appeared. Just one or maybe two bumps that were far apart from each other that appeared at different times, one of the bumps looked kinda like a ringworm though. The scrotum seems to be a little red and dry on both sides and dark in the middle. I do have eczema on my face around my nose, eyebrows, and forehead, and at the time that this occured, my eczema has been going on strong, and my asthma has also been acting up. I just moved from the bay area to las vegas, which is very hot and dry, and also the water softner in my house had just broke around the same time this started to occur, so the water leaves my skin real dry. I read that it is possible to get eczema on the scrotum, and heard that I should use hydrocortisone 1%, so I started using it for like a week now and the itching and burning has gone away, but every now and then it feels a little irretated. Since I just moved out here, I have yet to get insurance, so I havent been to a dermatologist yet. I dont think this is an std, because I havent had any sexual contact with anyone in over 9 months, and I was protected, and im sure that the area that first started breaking out, didnt have contact with my partner. I would like to know if this is a case of eczema and if not what could it be? Also, how long should it take for it to fully recover, and what medications should I use?
Sounds like eczema to me, both in the way it looks and the way it responds to hydrocortiosne.  That's what you should use, whenever it gets dry-feeling or itchy.  Once the skin is smooth, don't bother to treat it--any bumpiness or redness will take care of itself.  Like eczema anywhere else, eczema on the scrotum comes and goes more or less as it pleases.  If hydrocortisone doesn't work, you should see a doctor for something a bit stronger.

Enjoy Vegas.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
A related discussion, atopic ecema in babys scrotum was started.