Dermatology Expert Forum
Eczema or Herpes

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Eczema or Herpes

About 2 weeks ago I noticed a single small sore on the shaft of my penis, it looked more like a small nic and had a bit of a scab, it just seem to have appeared as a scab.  I never noticed any blister or any other discomfort until I saw it, thought I may have just got the skin caught in my zipper.  Every once in a while I put cortisone on it and it seem to start to clear up but then I would pick at it and it would persist.  Even with the sore there, I would masturbate frequenlty (twice a day), after masturbating rather hard (2 weeks after the initial sore).  I noticed a number of small little blisters around the initial sore and some inflamation (inflammation).  The initial sore and the area around it now look similar to a picture of genital herpes that I've seen online.  I suffer from eczema and have had small breakouts all over my body, including on my penis, the small blisters looked similar to my eczema breakouts I have on my fingers. During the time I discovered the initial sore and the subsequent blisters I've felt fine and have had no other medical issues.  Is this genital herpes or am I letting myself get carried away with it self diagnosis?  What would be the best treatment to get rid of this?
Herpes doesn't last 2 weeks.  On the other hand I can't tell you what the nature of these "blisters" is without seeing them.  This may well be eczema or irritation, but you will need to ask a doctor in person.  Meantime, use 1% over-the-counter hydrocortisone, avoid irritation, and take photos of the rash in case it has faded when you see the doctor.

Thanks.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, psoriasis cure me maria diam cobn was started.
A related discussion, Scared of Herpes/Warts was started.
A related discussion, tiny pink/red bumps was started.