Electrocauterization on nose

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Electrocauterization on nose

I have a few questions about electrocauterization.
How long does the healing time take? I heard a week is enough for the scab to fall off... But other sources say it can take 2 - 3 weeks. I am a college student so I figured I get this procedure done during this winter break.
Also, what are the risks of additional scarring? I am getting the procedure done on bumps on my nose.

Here is my story:

I plan to undergo electrocauterization on my nose soon. I have a few bumps on my nose, roughly 1 large one, 2 medium size ones, and 3 small size ones. At first, I believed this bumps were hypertrophic acne scars. I thought this because the bumps appear exactly on the same location where I had pimples. The biggest bump I thought was related to a really big pimple I had on my nose 5 years ago.  Now, I don't know if the bump was very big at first. I would think if it was big at first I would have noticed it and been conscious of it. But as the years went by, I would get some more pimples on my nose and then when they would be gone a couple of bumps. Logically, I thought the bumps were acne scars. The bumps are soft and I can press them without any pain.

Now, for the past year I have been really self-conscious about them. Maybe, because I am 18 years old now and as a kid five years ago I did not pay as much attention to my skin. When I went to see the dermatologist, the first one claimed they were acne scars and gave me injections. I read online that steroid injections can help deflate the raised acne scars. However, when I went for a 3rd visit, a different dermatologist was there.  He claimed that these were not acne scars but probably more related to sebaceous hyperplasia.  He proposed electrocauterization and said it would get rid of all the bumps. I feel this makes more sense because the injections I had gotten from the previous dermatologist did nothing.

Thank You.
Depending on various factors like site, size and general health, healing after an electrocautery may take 2-4 weeks. Healing may be delayed if a large area of tissue is burned and scarring may also occur.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

So it has been two weeks since I had a electrocautery on a test spot on my nose. So the scab peeled off twice and there was this red spot. Then a small crust formed over the red spot and fell. The red spot is still there. My dermatologist said to wait to see if it heals and returns to my skin color (light brown). How long will it take for the red spot to go away...
He suggested that it would not be worth doing electrocatery on the other bumps if they turn out to stay red... I am worried the red spot won't go away.. Is there anything I should do to help my natural skin color return to normal. Thanks.
Without treatment, this usually takes about 6 months to resolve and for the skin color to go back to its normal color.  Topical treatments with acids and chemical peels can be effective but can take a while for the skin to totally revert to its normal color.  Microdermabrasion can also be done, but this might require several sessions.  Skin resurfacing using lasers is also an option.  

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Thank You for your comment.
Right now I am healing from the procedure. The scabs already fell off for the other spots. But, most of them are still pink in color. Right now, I am applying a scrub to my face in the morning. Then a moisturizer. The scrub contains salicylic acid 1% for acne treatment. It also claims to reduce redness. The moisturizer is an aveeno product and claims to even out skin tone and texture. At night I was considering washing my face with a wash that contains 10% benzoyl peroxide 10% with aloe vera. I used this to wash my face in the morning but it would sting near my cheeks and would leave my face feeling dry. I also have oily skin. What should i do?