Dermatology Community
Erythema Multiforme?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Erythema Multiforme?

Hi everyone.  4 years ago, a week before the start of my senior year in high school, I had gone to a family friend's house with my family.  I played soccer with some of my other friends that I was hanging out with, and everything seemed to be fine.  The next day, or perhaps 2 days later, I woke up with around 20-25, pus-filled blisters on each leg, from the knees to my toes; the majority on my shins and calves.  The size of each ranged from 1/2 to 1 inch each.  Naturally, I was a bit freaked out and very worried.  I know it's usually a bad idea to do so, but I tried poking the blisters with a needle, but within a few minutes of the pus coming out, the blisters rehealed and filled with pus again.  I went to my general physician as soon as possible, and, when poking the blisters with a needle failed, he ended up just cutting the blisters off completely with a pair of scissors (very painful).  Needless to say, coming to school in 80 degree weather with shorts and legs bandaged up like a mummy for the first 2 months of my senior year was decently awkward.  My doctor thought it may have been erythema multiforme, and suggested that I see an allergist.  However, my allergist said that there was a possibility that it was erythema multiforme, but she wasn't sure because she had neither seen nor heard of a reaction like mine and said it may be some unknown allergic reaction.  I don't know too much about erythema multiforme, but from the pictures I've seen on the internet, I'm quite convinced that what I had was completely different.  Has anybody ever had anything like this before?  What could it be?  Any help at all will be much appreciated!