Dermatology Expert Forum
Excess Scrotal Sweating

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Excess Scrotal Sweating
Dear Dr. Rockoff:

I experience constant sweating on the scrotal skin and in the groin area. The scrotal skin is a bright pink (I am 36 years old and black) and is irritated and sometimes a little sore.

I saw a dermatologist that recognized that the scrotal skin was irritated, the doctor prescribed a Nystatin cream. Unfortunately, for me the cream didn't help and this has been going on for about a year now.

It takes me an hour to get to work by car in the morning, by the time I get there my underware is soaked in the scrotum area. By late afternoon the area begins to have a slight odor which can be very embarrassing. If I don't clean the area and put on a change of underware it gets worse as time progesses.

Over the years my wife and I have had reoccuring yeast infections (for me on the scrotal skin), bladder infections and uniary tract infections. However, we haven't had any problems for about a year now.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nystatin treats yeast infections.  Your problem is almost certainly irritation, rather than yeast.  After a year, it's time for a change in strategy.

For the irritation, a weak hydrocortisone may help (1% is over-the-counter.)  For the sweating, a powder like ZeaSorb may help.  

I suggest another visit to a dermatologist for consideration of these and other measures.  You shouldn't have to suffer soaked underwear from an hour commute.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff