Excessive Dandruff?
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to be in, but my issue is w dandruff. I have dry scalp and I'm not to sure what to do about it. I'm African American and I only get my hair washed when I go to the salon so that's 2 times outta the month. In btwn my salon visits I don't p
ut any grease or oil on my scalp bc I hate the way it makes my hair feel heavy. However, my scalp is really dry...very flaky and if u look at it...it seems like my scalp is scaled over! I also live in MI and its very cold right now. Bottom line is do I need to seek a dermtalogist or just use an anti-dandruff shampoo & oil my scalp more?
Dandruff can cause either an overly dry scalp with itchy white flakes that may be waxy or greasy, or it can manifest as an oily scalp with scales.  Eat a healthy diet. You can also take vit B6 and vit A and E which are good for hair and skin. Try medicated shampoos for dandruff. There are a number of over-the-counter shampoos available that can help. The most effective ingredients -- antimicrobials -- to look for are zinc pyridinethione, selenium sulfide, sulfur and ketoconazole (also available by prescription). If your hair is colored, don't use products with selenium sulfide or sulfur.

If the symptoms persist please consult a trichologist for the confirmatory diagnosis and treatment. Seborrehic dermatitis and eczema need to be ruled out.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.