Excessive Keratinization

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Excessive Keratinization

I have some raised bumps in my mouth. On each side of the lower jaw on the inner cheek wall are these white bumps. The doctor suggested I see a dentist, but did not think it was anything serious. A lab sample was taken by the dentist and the microscopic note was: Benign epithelial cells with chronic inflammation and excessive keratinization. The cellular description is: superficial, intermediate, and rare basal cells. The results were Negative for premalignant or malignant epithelial change. This test occurred three months ago and it took three months of noticing the abnormal bumps before going to the dentist and doctor. The bumps are also located at the hinge of the jaw in the soft tissue.

In reading without medical background, Karatinization occurs from some irritation. I'm not a smoker or use tobacco, I have spent a lot of time in desert and arid terrain but I'm worried that there is an infection or something that I don't know about causing the infection. The doctor also felt and visually inspected a bump on my penis, but did not think it was anything abnormal, as it didn't itch or fit the profile for an STD, however the single bump has grown slightly larger from me being in third world countries and not being able to have clean clothes every day. The dentist said in six months I might want to have another test done, same test, just later. I don't have insurance and the tests are extremely expensive, yet karatinization can develop into oral cancer and the horror of being disfigured from mouth cancer or death is there. I've wondered about it being HPV, and the mouth rash being a sign of a compromised immune system, but the doctor would have caught it if it was a genital wart and have suspicion, right? It could be a simple as clenching my teeth in sleep, or some mannerism that allows my teeth to rub the inner wall of the mouth, but that would not explain the areas showing the bumps in the back of the hinge of the jaw.

I don't know who to go to: a second dentist; a second doctor, with a specialization; a dermatologist? I don't have insurance and I'm worried.

The dentist suggested as a side comment i get a mouth guard, but after the lab results offered no other suggestion rather than having the test done again in six months. I worry, books say bumps in the mouth that don't clear in ten days need to seen by a doctor. I've had these bumps for six months.

I hope someone will read this and offer a solution and who I need to see to get this seen about before it gets worse. Thank you in advance.  

In the third world countries I didn't wash the toothbrush, only rinsed with with what little boiled water I spit out of my mouth at the end. Since then I've boiled the tooth brushes. Sanitation was a problem.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I understand you concern. The result of the biopsy is nonspecific. That is, keratinization may be caused by a lot of things. What is important is that we have excluded precancerous lesions here. At this point, keratinization may be brought about by irritation caused by misaligned teeth, dentures, smoking, chewing gum etc. I would not be very worried here. The next consult will be in 6 months. I would advise that you pursue the consultation. Your physician does not seem to be very worried about this as he has set your next consult in 6 months. If this requires urgent intrevention, then he could have set an earlier date.

Observe good oral hygiene and avoid drinking hot beverages as this may only aggravate the condition.
Thank you. I can't tell you how more at ease your comment has made me feel about this. Thank you so very much.
Drinking hot tea. I'm not a tea drinker, but in third world conditions I've been drinking hot tea. I think you're right on it. I'll stop drinking the hot beverages.