Extreme Itching all over body w/NO rash, welts or hives.

I've recently been diagnosed with Urticaria. My doctor says I fall into the 99.9% of the people who have it without any signs. My itchiness has been getting progessively worse for the past few years. I'd say almost 3 yrs now. It's to the point where I can't even engage in intercourse with my partner, go shopping or even go out in the sun. I keep hearing and reading how Urticaria, usually has signs on the skin surface but I don't, except for the really bad itchy feeling. Sometimes I question whether or not I have something else because it's really bad and it feels like I have a sudden burning rush of nails/needles stabbing my skin and I can't even move but only twitch. It's like this on a daily basis with my skin, whenever my body temperatue goes up. I feel like my body's thermostat is broken and I'm constantly overheating. I've been taking Claritin and Benadryl but that doesn't seem to help at all. My doctor also gave me a prescription medicine called Atarax, which only makes me drowsy and doesn't help the itchy feeling. Any suggestions? Btw, I've taken blood tests to see if there is anything wrong but everything came out fine. =/
My 6 year old son has been getting hives now everyday for about 2 months. He sounds a lot like your condition. When he plays really rough he gets hives.  When he gets hot in school he gets hives.  I am so worried that he has some sort of a medical condition that we don't know of that is causing these hives.

Lately his eyes look sickly to me.  I know I worry about him alot but after all he is my baby. I wish I had some answers.  We see a pediatric allergist for his other multiple allergies and we do totally avoid what he is allergic to everyday.

my 11 year old son had a virus on Thanksgiving 5 days later he started itching from head to toe no rash no hives nothing.
we started him on benadryl and calamine lotiong, not relief so the Doctor gave him allegra and cortisone, no relief. Then the dermatologist gave him a shot of kenalog, and prescription cortisone. still no relief after two emergency room visits they gave him hydroxine and blood workups for kidney, liver, and thyroid came back normal.  then the allergist said his bloodwork for allergies is normal too. she put him on zyrtec and two hydroxine at night so the kid can maybe get some sleep.. Now were going on 5 weeks he has missed 3 weeks of school and there's still no relief for this poor kid in site.  we've tried oatmeal baths, lotion, bactine which has lidocane and still nothing. Can someone give us some suggestions.  It's 2007 I can't believe all this modern technology and no one can help itching.
Hi I was currently had the same problem. Out of no where my body started itching. The doctor diagnosised it as demertitis. I had the same symptoms as your son, no visible signs of anythings. My doctor suggest benadryl, and told me to take two hydroxine at night. She doesn't have an idea what it is. She told me if its still bothering me in three days, to come back to see her.

I may have the same problem as you; however, I experience burning sensations.  I show no visible symptoms and I myself am experiencing the bothersome guess and check experience of trying to figure out whats wrong.  I usually feel the burning sensation in my legs but it seems to be focused on the sides of my stomach/ribs right now.  I show no visible symptoms but only the burning I feel.  Its been like this for a little more than a month.  A few years back, it was like this for nearly 2 years but went away for about 5 months the later part of 2007.  Both reactions were right after I had sexual relations with a partner.  The coincidence led me to believe std related but negative tests say otherwise.  I myself feel lost and not sure what to do because from what ive been reading, it seems like the creams/moisturizers and medications do not really help so much.  
Hi. I have this very same problem.  I itch ALL OVER MY BODY. My arms, shoulders, back, neck, chest, stomach, legs. I started itching bout 5-6 months ago. For some reason it went away for a few weeks and came back again, but worse. This second time around, I've been itching for 2-3 months. Last week I noticed a lump on my right side where my thigh begins. Right at the joint. I also noticed a few red spots. Which is strange because I'd itch but there wouldn't be any marks on my skin. I look normal. I went to see my doctor and he told me I had shingles. Which explains the red spots and the lump. He put me on Valtrex (sp?) and I've been taking it for the past 4 days. I noticed the overall itch has gotten much much worse and still have no clue why it's so bad!!
Why are there so many people getting sick with unexplained reasons. Is this a phenomenon!  This is scary!  
I am itching too... and I'm not joking!!! It's just everywhere here and there and it really does drive you nuts... I don't have any idea why... I came here to see what was wrong with everyone else. Ok so you have absolutely no answers. Guess I'll go to the doctor... LOL

I will say, it started out with my hands and feet. When I wake up it is a horrible warm "desperate" itch that has to be dealt with NOW! feeling... Understand what I mean by that? Even my lips.. mine has been going on for 2 weeks. No visable signs, no other symptoms. Well.. wait there is double vision and loss of muscle strength but I personally write that off as being so tired from lack of sleep and overdosing of benedryl. Good luck everyone and I hope God blesses you with a good night sleep.

Has anybody tried Reflexology for this? You'd be amazed at the results it can have as it can be used to stimulate the adrenal gland which releases cortisole.
Also try eating lots of salad, fruit and raw veg as these are all cooling foods.
Im training to be a reflexologist at the mo and my tutor (who is an amazing woman) has a theory that things which irritate/stress you emotionally can irritate/stress you physically.
Maybe look at what irritates irritates you in your life and try to relax about it.
Plenty of deep breathing etc.
Hope you all find some relief soon.
I left a comment on here one day.. I too was searching for an answer to my itching issues... Doctors were not helpful at all... they only made me feel like I was insane...

I googled like mad. One day I ran into this thing called SELENIUM. It is found in everything. Trust me it took hours and hours to find it. But just so happened when my symptoms started I had a gluttony for BRAZILIAN NUTS! Everytime I felt bad, I sat down with a nut bowl. well? nuts are supposed to be GOOD FOR YOU. but with the nuts, cigarettes and TEA which I always drink... i was overdosing on selenium. Of course the doctor laughed it off... thought I was nuts.. Come to find out, I slow down on my selenium intake, the itch... not so bad and I KNOW that is what it is...

The doc was testing me for the flu, in which I knew I didn't have! And then, he calls to tell me he's prescribing an antibiotic because he thinks I have a virus...

I refused the antibiotic, searched for a new doctor for future reference and laughed at them.. they thought my selenium poisoning was insane, and they were prescribing a freakin zpac for a VIRUS??? DOCTORS need to back off the computer and start thinking with what they know!

i have the ITCH my sister had it first and then i developed it after visiting her and sleeping in the same bed. her boyfriend now has it too. its hell. i itch all over. sometimes not for an hour or so but most of the time at least some part of me has uncontrollable itching. mostly its my thighs, abdomen, buttocks, chest and arms. nothing helps and there is absolutely no symptoms. no bumps, rash, or anything.

my sister has tried a million different medications and i have tried many different oils and herbal remedies. nothing helps at all. i usually wake up in the morning and have to itch for at least an hour before i start my day. it is the worst in the morning.

my sister has been to 6+ doctors and no one can help.

i have the same problem my life is at stand still . iam scared to do any thing even sex . before i do anything i have to think a thousand times before i do any thing . i get out of my bed in the morning and i start to etch . i keep tempreature around me to a minmum any change in tempreature make me overheat and etch . if i get mad or  nervious i strat to etch . my problem started about twenty some years ago but it went a way for a long time but it came back and went away and a few years later ut came back but the past few month it came and never went away. please help us with this problem and money is no problem
this is sam again when i get hot and itchy i use a fan and water to cool me down and it does work but this is not the life i want
wjg
I have a variation that i'm not seeing from anyone else.  I have the normal looking skin and severe itching.  However, when I scratch my skin gets red and the scratch marks welt.  Sometimes small bumps form.  After time the skin again returns to mormal.  Had this about 3 years ago for a month and the DR was no help.  It's back and I'm at a loss as to what to do!
I've been having a similar itching problem for almost three months now.  It seemed to start after I started taking minocyline for acne.  I had been on doxycyline for a good year almost with no problems and then my doctor gave me a bottle of minocycline.  After a week or two, I started to intensely itch, especially on my groin and scalp.  I stopped taking the minocycline immediately...my hands and feet began to swell the next day.  I told the doctor and took a round of Prednisone for one week.  I ended up with itchy hives for a few days, but they eventually disappeared.  The swelling went away, but the itching has more or less stuck around since then.  I get it on my hands and the sides of my thighs, but ESPECIALLY on my upper back, neck, scalp and chest.  I have no rash or any other visible sign of any skin irritation.
I've noticed I get hot+sweaty pretty easily lately and that usually leads to some irritation.  Also, I noticed my hair tends to be a lot more greasy than usual, but my scalp is very dry and sensitive.  
I had some bloodwork done by the doctor, which he said came back normal, but I don't know exactly what he tested for.
I am really, truly baffled as to what is going on with my body.  It scares me, but also really frustrates me because I feel like I have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it.  
What can I do?  What should I ask a doctor to test for?  Please help if you can.
I hope you get a chance to read this. I too had the itching, it started when I was about 19. I suffered for a couple years. It was awful. Same symptoms you all expressed: itch without rash. Went to lots of Drs, not much help. Was told I had Atopic dermatiti, which is basically a catch-all phrase for itching all over. Anyway I started taking Hydroxyzine 25mg. 1 each night. It does have the side effect of making you tired at first and it takes a month or so to really have an effect. But I am now 36, still take 1 Hydroxyzine 25mg a night and I have not had much of an itch for about 15 years. I can tell that I still have the condition and I do itch a bit when the weather seasonally changes (cold to hot, hot to cold) but I often forget that I have the itch at all, for months on end.
Mine is definately heat related. Funnily enough when i excersise most intensely (football, running etc) i'm fine but gradual and seemingly innocuous activity (golf practice, painting, cleaning) i get hot very qucikly and get an all over prickly ich sensation without any visiual symptoms. The most distressing times are at night in bed. I have to stand near an open window and if it persists still, I go and sleep in the spare room.
I have the same problem. Mine started about 5-6 months ago. I started getting itchy on my hands and they would swell up, then it moved down to my wrists. I would get tiny red bumps and large red welts. Then, my whole arm started to itch. Now my stomach, scalp, face, back, and legs itch as well. It can itch for hours and I'm getting really frustrated because I am 16 and when I am in school, I can start to itch and the itch is making it hard for me to pay attention in school. Also, the bumps and welts appear sometimes without the itching, and before the bumps, welts, and itching begin, the area gets hot.
pob
my itch started a week ago and is so bad ive scratched myself raw loads of little sores etc . tried usual stuff eg. antihystamines , cream soapless washes but to no avail been on l-arganine and l-carnitine for 2 months so wonder if maybe its one of them dont know any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated before i tear myself apart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a condition where my scalp is very sensitive and itchy.  I soothe my scalp by patting my scalp constantly resulting in the breakage of my hair.  There are no signs except for a very dry scalp and when I apply any type of grease, the itchiness gets worse.  I've tried all types of shampoo's, conditoners, grease, and hair treatments, but nothing seems to work.  If you have any ideas on how to treat this please feel free to let me know.
About 10 days ago I started feeling itchy all over my skin. No outward symptoms, etc. I asked my wife if she had noticed any itchness, wondering if it was mites or some tiny bedcritters or something. She hasn't, but I've been itchy every day now for 10 days. It's maddening.

I've never been allergic or the ill type. One thing that's changed is I've alot of stress in my life dealing with a difficult teen son. It's also started to get warm, but it does that every year and I've never had this itch in 47 years. But the stress part is new, I'm usually super calm all through life.

If anyone finds a diagnosis that makes sense, or treatment, please post back here. Please.
I got the same thing going on for me.. I itch all over and don't really have any outward symptoms. Just a couple little red swollen areas that I think are from scratching. Its all over my body but mostly my legs and abdomen/chest and ribs. Doesn't seem like anyone's found much of a solution to this problem. my doctor gave me atarax which helps a little bit when I'm going to sleep and some fluocinonide cream that helps a bit as well but I'm tired of taking pills that knock me out and constantly trying to rub cream all over myself, especially since neither work at all sometimes. I've found that my itching gets a lot worse when I am dehydrated and drinking plenty of water seems to help keep my itching from acting up too much. Nights are the worst though. I dont seem to be able to get more than 4 hours of sleep before the itching sets in and wakes me up. Ive been up since 4 with only 4 hours of sleep and an exam at 9. ARGG..

Anyway, I also read something about the raw food diet helping people with eczema. I know eczema is different than what most of us have but it does have to do with the skin so it may help with what we got too. I dunno though, anyone know anything about that?
I, too, itch all over with no other symptoms.  I'm watching what I eat and thnk I've narrowed it down to msg.  There are numerous websites with information on it.  If it isn't msg I'll keep looking for answers...
pob
pob here again..... STILL ITCHING now ive got red swollen spots all over, my itch  is worse in the morning but when i went to the doc he ruled out scabies , allergies etc anyway he's given me a prescription for extra strong antihystamines will be getting them tomorrow if they work will let everyone know but i'm not holdin my breath!!!!! oh does anyone know of an allergy to the amino acid L-ARGANINE coz i just started them. x
I ma not sure if this is the same as what everyone else is talking about, but I started itching after tanning in a tanning bed. I have tanned multiple times before but it had been a while since my last tanning experience before I this specific occasion occurred.  I have been on a lot of different medicines. I was on Remicade when it happened the first time in Dec 06. I went tanning for ten minutes and didn't get any color. The next day my legs were itching. It was horrible, it felt like I kept getting stung over and over by thousands of bugs. I would itch it and it would get worse. No bumps or redness until after I scratched for a while then my skin would get red and occasionally white little bump or cluster of little bumps would appear. When I stopped itching it would go away. The itching was so severe and would not stop so I finally went to the dr and he gave me oral steroids for a week. It went away. A few months later I was out in the sun and had no problems, then a week after that I was out in the sun again for a few hours and I burned quickly. I got a bad burn, but never had any issues with itching. I tried a few months later to try tanning again. Sure enough I started itching really bad again. This time I waited to see if it would go away and within 5-7 days it was gone. Around Dec 07 I was taken off of Remicade because the dr's said I was rejecting it. I thought the itching may have been a symptom of this. They put me on Humira injections and the other symptoms went away but I still cannot tan without horrible itching. I have tried Benadryl, Atarax, Xyzal, Zyrtec and nothing helped. I have no physical signs like hives or rash. I have seen an allergist and have no allergies and my thyroid and blood tests were all fine. He told me to use vanicream ( a prescription lotion that does not have dyes or perfumes) to try to help with any dry skin since  I have some itching at all times. After I tan in a tanning bed the itching becomes unbearable and for the most art goes away after 7 days. It may be the meds because they are known to cause sensitivity but usually people burn easily or get rashes and I dont (I only burned that one day, but didnt itch). I was on the meds for over  year before this started. Also due to my other medical problems I am under  a lot of stress and anxiety, this could also be causing it. The Dr's have been no help with the itching, they have no idea what it is, they just say "Well then dont go tanning", but I really dont want to have to give that up as well as everything else I had to stop due to my auto immune disease (Ulcerative Colitis). Tanning is relaxing to me and it wasnt like I tanned all the time but it was nice to tan during the winter when it was so cold and also to have a base tan so I didnt burn while on vacation.
Pum
I also have started having this, mainly in the scalp and lower legs. Mine is always at the same time of year (spring and late autumn) so I have concluded it is an allergy to pollen. Like a hayfever of the skin. Hats drive me crazy.

I found if I wet my hair every day and keep it wet, the itching is much less. I tie it up so it doesn't completely dry all day. Then wet it again before bed. Works for me.

Good luck to you all.
i posted a little while ago about having an intense itch all over my body with no signs of rash.. slowly i began to develop a little rash on the inside of my arm and after seeing 3 other doctors(and even having my blood tested) the 4th finally figured out i have scabies. i am sure that most of you are probably aware of scabies but the thing i never knew that you can have scabies for months (as i did) with no rash. when i finally showed signs of it i figured it was due to my constant scratching. i dont know if this helps or not but i hopefully itll help some of you. the first three doctors i saw didnt catch it and prescribed antihystamines and itching cream. just because i had no rash they didnt even check for scabies so it might be worth checking out...
pob
pob here again started extra strong anti hists 4 days ago and itch almost gone still slight but a lot better so my advice is no matter how trivia the cure sounds give it a go it just might work o x o x o
I suffer from exactly the same thing and tried everyting on the market.  Then.........I came across a wonder pill.  Its main active ingredient is Chlorpheniramine Maleate.  Stops the itching within 10 minutes.  It's sold without a prescription and works wonders.  Ask your pharmacist for the no-name brand as it works just a well.  The 4mg pill works for me.
Give it a try.  I'm sure you'll get relief.  
pob
thanks for the heads up binkers will try them
I too, itch all over, its horrible, and trying to sleep is a deffinate challange. I was told by a friend who owns a homeopathic shop to try silica and sulphur and to do a cleanse. Im on a cleanse tea and also a 3 day cleanse and starting to eat only fruits and veggies and whole grains. He said not to eat any bread, corn, milk or sugar. We'll see how that goes. Iv heard about MSG and itching. Its bad stuff and in so many prepackaged things. Im trying to get back to basics. Plain ole brown rice and friut and salad. Also exersice gets the blood moving and expells toxins. Iv been itchy for 3 weeks and have tried a lot of products, and its very frustrating not knowing the cause and no one seems to beleive the severety of it. Loss of sleep is the worst though because its when we sleep that our bodies heal, so try to keep that under control 1st. I like the natural stuff cause then at least your not loading up the body with more toxins and causing more problems!
I have been going through the exact same thing since I moved into my condo back in March.  I thought it was dust mites or maybe something I was cleaning with.  I feel like I am being bitten by mosquitos all day.  That's the best way to describe my itching.  My blood work came back fine and they wanted to fun an 80 food allergy test on my arm.  I told them it wasn't necessary because I have always eaten everything.  How has the over the counter medicine been working for you?
I have pernicious anemia.  The itching would almost drive me crazy.  PN is dangerous if left undiagnosed.  You need a more intensive blood test than just the usual cbc.  If you have it, you just need b-12 injections.  No amount of pills will help.  Just get this checked, as it will ultimately become deadly.  
I have just had this itching on my torso ( up to below my breasts and down to top of pubic area) and the same on the back, plus my scalp and one palm !! I have been feeling very hot too, there is no visible rash, but its definitely worse at night when Im warm in bed, I am terrified its kidney or liver disease cos I googled it and up it came.......anyone found out otherwise ? is that what the blood tests are for ?
My itching and burning started back when I started through menopause.
When I had to get a hysteroctomy, it began to get progressively worse.
Doctor's couldn't find what the cause was because there were no visable signs.  I couldn't even take showers or baths, and when I did I  felt like my whole body was on fire.  I itched so bad and I felt like my skin was crawling and jumpy.  I found out that some of my symptoms were from hormone imbalance.  I know it may sound funny but I researched the foods and other foods and drinks that I was using.  Remember to also watch the meats that we eat, especially beef which has hormones injected.  That will definitely set off an imbalance in your body.  When there is an imbalance, there is a build up of histamines which will react against your body chemistry, entering the blood stream and causing all problems from inside your body to the outside.  Deep down in our skin there are mast cells which regulate the temperature reaction of our bodies intake of food or drink.  Too much of anything, and we set off the imbalance. Sugar, wheat, flour, potatoes, and corn along with preservatives, can really mess you up.  The liver has to detox all the things in our bodies, and many times its gets bogged down.  It cannot filter out the toxins, so they escape through our skin and urine.
I can't tell you that this horrible thing will go away, but it can be regulated somewhat if you research all the things that you put into your body.  Try to detox first, but remember if you never detoxed before you may have few side effects.  These side effects are common, because they are expelling the toxins and waste out of your body.  You must drink plenty of water also when you are detoxing. Drinking lemon peel slices in water is also a good cleanser.  There was an item told to me by a friend that I purchased on line back then, it was called the itch zapper.  It may sound funny, but it works.  I don't know if it is still available on line or not but it is worth a try.  This item uses batteries.  It heats up and what it does is attack the mast cells deep in the skin, and the itching stops.  I would suggest you read about mast cells for yourself.  If I can be of any more help let me know.
Deborah (catsr3)
The item that I told you about that works is not called an Itch Zapper, but it is called an Itch Stopper, and it is still available on line.  Sorry for the mistake, but I wanted you to get help as soon as possible, and it has been a long time since I bought one.  Just ask for the Itch Stopper and it will come up for you.
Lots of Luck
God Bless
Itchsurvivor

I have it too! So many people with this condition it just seems ironic...
For 2 weeks I have had the horrible itch fits. 20 minutes of intense itching that I can seem to squelch - sometimes starting on the soles of my feet then jumping to my stomach or arms or inbetween my fingers or everywhere except my neck and face. There's nothing there! When I start scratching like crazy welts will come up and sometimes I'll notice what appears to be white bumps coming up which I assume are hives or something but they go away after the fit subsides. I cannot stand this! I've only taken OTC drugs so far (Benodryl, Hydrocortizone, Dermoplast and now Zyrtec) but nothing is working. I'm going to go to the doctor this week but after reading this thread I am not optimistic about knowing anything more after having done so. I did recently stop taking some antibiotics and noticed this started right after I finished them. I don't know if there is a correlation or not but if it were an allergic reaction I think I would have noticed during the week I took them and not 2 consecutive weeks thereafter. God bless all of you afflicted with this horrid mysterious syndrome from the bottom of my (itchy) heart.
This is so strange, it seems like there has to be some connection for it to be happening to so many people and so many of the same symptoms. The thing that is different with some seems to be the age/sex but I am seriously wondering if it could be hormonal.  I had to have everything taken out 3 years ago and then when they found out about my heart disease (Prinzmetal) I also have to go off the hormones they had me on to keep me halfway sane.  LOL  I have noticed different changes in my skin but this came up all of a sudden.  It starts itching all of a sudden and it is an itch that I could dig raw.  It will ease up for a bit and come on like fire ants.  It also is in different places at different times.  Right now it is on the insides of both my legs and goes around to the back of my knees.  I also have a large red patch under my right breast that stays red and sore.  When I went to the doctor he just said it was heat rash.  I asked him why if my breast were the same size I am only getting the heat rash under one?  You know the look they give you, that look of, "I'm God, please don't question me" : )
I have to take a lot of medicine for my heart disease and also take 12,000 mg for it as an experiment to stop the artery spasms and wondered if I was starting to become allergic to it in such high doses. I have been on it for 3 years.
Well I will get off here for now and check back to see how everyone is doing.  I wish everyone and itch free day.
God Bless
Dee
My wife has been suffering from these symptoms for several years with remissions and recurrences.  We have tried many of the OTC anti-histamines, but they offer little relief and usually short lived.

After a good deal of research, it appears that the potential diagnosis of Autoimmune Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria (referred to as IACU and CIU in many medical journal articles) is the most likely direction, but many doctors are not able to make actual confirming diagnosis.  I have found there is one doctor in London that appears to be commonly referenced in footnotes for this malady.  Dr. Malcolm Greaves has written many articles, and actually as a clinical book on the subject to the tune of $230, but it is designed for the clinician and researcher.

From what I have read, there is a direct association with autoimmune diseases, and you should keep an eye on other health issues that are associated to an autoimmune symptom.  My wife just had her Thyroid removed after discovery of cancerous goiters, but she was diagnosed with an autoimmune thyroid disease.  In my readings, with the onset of CIU / IACU, many patients ended up with other autoimmune issues and there was statistical evidence of an association with the Thyroid.  They described CIU / IACU as having histamines within your blood that attack the thyroid proteins, which result in Hypothyroidism.

While all the articles I read discuss anti-histamines as the primary form of treatment, there is debate over the use of both H1 products like Zyrtec, Claritine, and similar products along with H2 products which are normally associated with Heart Burn.  They are Zantac, Tagamet, and Pepcid.  However, there appears not to be a consensus of the joint H1 and H2 treatment showing definitive results.  Either way, it is food for thought to discuss with your doctor.

The one item that appears to have promise, but it sounds like you will need a doctor familiar with CIU / IACU is immunosuppresive therapy.  Dr. Greaves specifically mentions Cyclosporine, and there is another therapy with a new drug called Plaquenil.

Good luck, and please continue to share ideas and helpful treatments.

I have severe itchy skin as well.  It occurs on my calves.  It comes and goes.  I have no rash, have not started using any new products, and have no known allergies.  It started when I lived in CA  ago and I have reecently moved to SC and it has continued since I have moved here.  

I cames across this information and it seems relevant so I thought I would pass it on.

Warmest Regards to all,
Lisa

Neurodermatitis (lichen simplex chronicus)
From MayoClinic.com
Special to CNN.com

Introduction

Neurodermatitis — also known as lichen simplex chronicus — is a stubborn skin condition characterized by chronic itching and scratching. Eventually, the affected skin becomes thick and leathery.

Neurodermatitis isn't serious — but breaking the itch-scratch cycle can be challenging. Successful treatment depends on identifying and eliminating factors that may be aggravating the problem. Over-the-counter and prescription creams can help. Once the scratching stops, it can take months for the skin to return to normal.

Signs and symptoms

The primary symptom of neurodermatitis is itchy skin — often on the neck, wrist, forearm, thigh or ankle. Sometimes neurodermatitis affects genital areas, such as the vulva or scrotum.

The itchiness tends to come and go. It may be most noticeable when you're at rest — watching TV or sleeping, for example — and disappear when you're active. Anxiety or stress can make the itchiness worse. Eventually you may scratch simply out of habit.

The affected patches of skin often have a leathery or scaly texture. The patches may be raw, red or darker than the rest of your skin.

Causes

The exact cause of neurodermatitis isn't known. Sometimes neurodermatitis begins with something that simply rubs or irritates the skin, such as tight clothing or a bug bite. As you rub or scratch the area, it gets itchier. The more you scratch, the more it itches.

In other cases, neurodermatitis is associated with other skin conditions — such as dry skin, eczema or psoriasis. Stress and anxiety can trigger itching, too. Allergies don't seem to be a factor.

Risk factors

Neurodermatitis is most common between ages 30 and 50. Women are affected more often than men. You're more likely to develop neurodermatitis if you have a personal or family history of eczema, psoriasis or similar skin conditions.

When to seek medical advice

Consult your doctor if you notice changes in your skin or if you catch yourself repeatedly scratching the same patch of skin.

Screening and diagnosis

Diagnosis is typically based on your skin's appearance and a history of itching and scratching. A tissue sample (biopsy) can be examined to confirm the diagnosis. Blood tests or other lab studies may be done as well.

Complications

Persistent scratching can lead to a bacterial skin infection and permanent scars or changes in skin color.

Treatment

To stop the stubborn itch-scratch cycle, you must stop scratching the affected area. It's bound to be tough, but you can do it. And your doctor can help.

Try an over-the-counter or prescription cream. Over-the-counter hydrocortisone creams or prescription steroid creams can help ease itching and inflammation. Soaps or lotions containing coal tar may be helpful, too.
Try other types of medication. Sometimes antihistamines help stop itching. In other cases, steroids may be injected directly into the affected area to reduce itching. Antidepressants or anti-anxiety medications are helpful for some people. If you develop a bacterial infection in the rash, your doctor may prescribe an antibiotic lotion or oral antibiotics.
Cover the affected area. Bandages or dressings can help protect the affected area. This may be especially important if you scratch during your sleep.
Avoid things that increase itching. Limit your time in the tub or shower. Bathe in warm — not hot — water. Use gentle cleansers or gels with added moisturizer. Gently pat your skin dry. Use plenty of moisturizer.
Keep stress under control. Stress and anxiety can trigger itching.
Consider counseling. A counselor can help you learn how your emotions and behaviors can fuel — or prevent — itching and scratching
Cholinergic urticaria is a subcategory of physical urticaria (aka hives) that is a skin rash brought on by a hypersensitive reaction to body heat. Symptoms follow any stimulus to sweat such as exercise (sometimes called exercise-induced urticaria), heat from the sun (which could also indicate solar urticaria), saunas, hot showers (reaction to water can also indicate water urticaria), spicy foods which may cause an increase in body temperature or even stress due to blushing or anger. Some people only have symptoms during the winter months where their body temperature rises when it is unacclimatized to heat.
The affected area will often feel warm and can be extremely itchy or exhibit a burning sensation. This can be compounded since many people with cholinergic urticaria also have pressure urticaria, in which pressure on the skin causes a reaction.
The rash typically develops within a few minutes of a rise in body temperature but can take longer to appear visibly on the skin.
Cholinergic urticaria can be very difficult to treat.Since an attack can often be felt coming on, it can sometimes be halted by rapid cooling, such as applying cold water or an ice pack to the skin.
Drug treatment is typically in the form of antihistamines such as loratadine (Claritin), hydroxyzine, cetirizine and other H1 receptor antagonists.
As the disease may be physiological in origin, psychological treatments such as stress management can sometimes lessen severity and occurrence. Additionally, methods similar to psychological pain management can be used to shift focus away from the discomfort and itchiness during an attack.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholinergic_urticaria

Well, I found out that the reason for my itch was thyroid disease. It's called cold Urticaria. Thyroid disease can cause sensitivity to cold or hot. In our case, it's cold. So, get a blood test, and make an appointment with the endocrinologist.
Hello, I have suffered from extreme all over itching for almost ten years now.  The onstart came after a sexual encounter, but also after an extreme amount of stress.  I had to fly the very next day and, at that time, I hated to fly.  I had never been on a smaller plane and that was what pulled up to the gate.  I literally freaked...but flew anyway.  After I reached my destination, my thighs started itching like crazy and wouldn't stop.  I first thought it might be scabies, but it wasn't.  Over the next few months the itching slowly spread all over my body and I itched for 24 hours straight.  I was so sleep deprived and void of anything pleasurable in life.  I went to six or seven doctors who had no REAL solution for me.  Like most of you, I tried everything...Antihistamines, Atarax, Cortisone creams, Vitamin B12 shots, tons of supplements in general, shaving my diet back to almost nothing, exercise, therapy, wellbutrin, Atavan, Cipro...and the list goes on.  I did go to an herbal doctor who had me taking about 40 pills a day.  WIthin six months, I had the itching down to one arm.  It has  been that way ever since, which flare ups around my neck area.  I can't sleep on that arm because if I put pressure on it, it itches.  The sensation around my neck area is more of a burning one.  I've lost 150lbs, and I continue to take supplements...just not to that degree.  I am amidst another flare up and I believe it is due to a bout of extreme stress in my life again.  I got sick of going to doctors and getting no relief.  If one more doctor gave me a perscription for a topical cream I was going to scream.  It has been at least five years since I have gone for help, and I am thinking of trying it again.  I live in a town that has two top hospital schools and I am hoping they can help.  Thank you all for posting... I couldn't find these stories on the web ten years ago when I started.  I hate that all of you suffer, but I do find it comforting knowing that I am not a complete freak of nature!!  I will keep you updated!  Please keep sharing your stories....updates...or whatever!!
Hi, I lived in a tropical country all my life, and when I reached America, which is 2 years now, I realize one same part of my body (chest and tummy) gets itchy with each autumn season.  This is the second autumn season that I lived here in the US. This makes me think it is my body's reaction to cold weather that gives me this itch.  I have used almost all kinds of medication mentioned in this forum to no avail.  I can only try not to scratch it to reduce local infection, as scratching will make your itch spread wider from where it is.  And to prevent this, first, I clean up the itchy part of my body, then wet it (not rub) using my palm with food grade hydrogen peroxide.  Let it dry, then wet it with apple juice. It alleviates itch for 30 mins to 1 hour, and helps you avoid scratching it.  Hope this helps!
i been takin nyquil every night for 3 years then i stoped. after a couple days not taking it i started too itch all over. am i addicted to nyquil because it went away when i started taking it again?
I have had itchy skin for about 2 weeks now. it started with my calf muscles and it stopped and now its my stomach, under the breast, lower stomach, my breast, pelvic, sides of my rib cage, all of my back arm pits, arms every once in awhile and at night my scalp. I have no rash but i scratch so hard it becomes red and painful. i keep reading that it could be so many different things. i have no idea what to do. it drives me crazy i cant even sleep considering im typing this at 3:11 in the morning. i have tried all kinds of lotions, havent changed soaps or anything. people keep saying its dry skin but i can tell when my skin is dry and its not...
Someone PLEASE HELP!!!!
Court
I do not go to regular doctors and haven't taken prescription medicine for 30 years, but am going to find a naturapath Doctor and have my hormones testesd.  I am 58 and post menapause and the itching stated at menapause. Insane all over body itch in my blood. Like  a tickle to an intense deep zing that you want to scratch till the skin gets so hot and the itch turns to pain.  Hot hot filtered shower water brings the itch to a creshendo that allows me to calm down a little. I am currently making and drinking collodial silver water with the Dr Beck Zapper.  And am zapping my blood at my wrists.  Your body holds 8 quarts of blood and it passes though your veins every 8-10 minutes.  This itch is viral and is has no symptoms in 99.9% of the people.  Then there is the .1% of us who are sensitive to energy and can actually feel it wisping through the blood.  Getting hot and weather changes affect it.  As well as sugar.  I think it feeds on sugar and while flour products.  I am at day one of zapping.  It stopped it completely for a few hours.  Then it came back with a vengence.  I will not let this beat me.   I Also get some relief from accupuncture and am on a liver-gallblader diet that is no sugar and mostly cooling veggies, fruits, and grains.  (some fish & chicken).
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE and it is on the INTERNET.
Peace.
Help! I can't take the itching any longer, I swear! I have tried every type of cream, lotion, prescription and otherwise. Abntibiotics and Benadryl have failed me.  Nothing helps! I am digging myself raw. No rash, but sometimes a little pink tiny dots show after scratching a while. Of course everyone's answer seems to be to not scratch it. It's a circle that makes you scrath and then the itch gets worse and then you scratch worse. Then come bruises along with the scratch marks. Little blood spots appear from the scratching.  
A friend of mind came over today that Ihaven't seen for a while and guess what? She has it too. The dermatologistshe saw told her it's a virus. He had seen at least 20 people with it and it's mostly been in people with immune defficiencies.
Cool showers sooth the skin to some extent and keeping the skin covered in heavy layers of lotions immediately afetr getting out of the shower while the skinis still damp.  Some of the Eucerin lotions do help to some extent. They may not be a cure all, but can keep you from the suicidal scratching. Of course you have to do it all again at night.
This must stop soon. IT's been like thisa for me for a couple months and my nerves are on edge so bad.  I'm suprised my dogs even like me right now. Now I know how dogs feel with fleas! What can be done? How does anyone keep from going crazy?
I'am 18 now and i have had this same problem for about 4 or 5 months now. I have this horrible itchy feeling under my skin i can't do anything about every time i get hot. The hotter i get the worst the itch.
(some of the things i have done to test it)
1. If i stand in a hot shower the itches flare up insane
2. turn the hot air in my car. by far the worst itches
3. jog in a hoody. i had to take the hoody of because the itches were so bad.

At first i thought this was because i had smoked alot of weed in my youth but my friends never got the sympton at all.

the only decent cure i can get is to keep as cold as possible. i no longer take hot showers it's mostly cold water because of the itches.

If anyone finds a good solution plz post them here.
This itch... Me too. What is going on here!? I got mine from my girlfriend. I remember she complained of the same itch. I thought nothing of it... Then a few weeks later, I got it too. Her new boyfriend has caught the itch as well. I wake up because of extreme itchiness all over. It is driving me insane! Every now and then will appear red patchy dots that are all close together in an unparticular area like a rash. That will fade in about 5 days or so and maybe appear somewhere else later. Other than that there are no visible symptoms where the itchiness is. I've had mine now for about a month and it only seems to be getting worse. The doctor says try some thick lotion like body butter as it is a dry season. Ha!!!!! Dry skin has nothing to do with it.
I too have been itching like crazy!!  I feel the same as most of you.  My scalp,  my BACK, OMG!!!!  It is absolutely maddening!!  I constantly clean, feeling that its dust or something!!   (It begins messing with your mind, doesn't it, lol).  And many will look at you like your crazy.  Im telling you, if this doesnt stop, I WILL BE!!
I think I am going to go with the detox and cleanse and start drinking lots of water, which,, I admit, I dont do enough of!  Im almost 47 and have started entering menopause, so yes, it is possible it could be an imbalance of hormones!!!  Ill let you guys know what happens with this!!
Good luck to everyone!!  Stay Cool!!!

anotheritchywoman
I'ts a bit relieving to see that others suffer from so much itching like i do. I am 32 yrs old and it all started about a year ago. it slowly progressed from the inside of my elbows (whre the crease is) then on both arms. then behind my knees and calves. i scratch so severely until i bleed. it has caused the skin in the areas that i scratch alot become scabby and leathery. (gross i know) then on my back i have these tiny patches of raised skin that feels scabby and of course it itches to the point of insanity like the rest of my body. Ive been to the Dr many times. got treated for scabies, it wasnt that. got put on anit-fungal medications. it helped while i was on it but came right back after. lots of perscription creams and ointments that do nothing. i pop benadryls like crazy but doesnt do much. i was recently on tetracycline for 10 days for a skin infection that i got from itching too much. but i still continue to itch, its starting to make me self concsious and i also hate having to constantly scratch myself, bc if i dont ill go insane. and its kind of embarrasing to try and control that when I'm out in public. I too myself go hide in the bathroom at times and just scratch away.  alot of times i try and scratch hard enough so it bleeds and then hurts. id rather take that pain then having the insanity of itching that no one around me really understands what im going through. i just dont know what to do anymore,, i feel like this is starting to take control of my life. =(
Awwwwww!!!...I feel you hon!  Im at my wits end!!..I feel like i dont want to go around people for fear Im going to give them whatever the hell this is!!
I dont know what to do ..........its  crazy that so many people are suffering from what ever this is and yet..we're all baffled ...........
Yes, I too am suffering from this invisible itch. Last night I spent 4 hours scratching the inside of my arms and covering them in moisterising cream in order to try and get relief............but no. I was told by a doctor i visited about 5 years ago that when certain people go in the sun, there body's produce a chemical, and in my case I produce too much of the chemical which causes the irritation. I also get the same problem occuring when my body temperature increases....bit like prickly heat but 100 times worse. My affected areas are inner arms, shoulders, upper back and forearms and back of neck. I will continue to try and find answers, and if i find anything out will post my findings. Good luck fellow scratchers.
I've been up for an hour scratching like mad, as I have every morning for the last few weeks so thought I'd search the internet for some answers.  I had no idea so many people had the same problem, or that no one had any clue how to get rid of it.  The inside of my legs is the worst area, with the inside of my forearms coming a close second.  I thought of a dreaded STI at first, but bizzarly my pubic area is one of few placese left unaffected???  I guess its off to the docs then... I'll let you know if I come accross anything that helps.  "Scratch where it itches!"
I itch also, but mine is welts. It starts out as a normal itch then it develops into a red swollen welts on my wrists, fingers, toes, bottom of my feet even the back of my neck and head. I itch until I want to scream! I went to the DR. and he said it was Ecezema and prescribed me Triamcinolone Acetonide Ointment and it did not work. I went to WalmART and got AVEENA Calamine & Pramoxine Anti-Itch Cream. to my relief it worked and OMG I can finally relax for a min until another breakout. I also got the AVEENA bath crystals. Which has Colloidial  Oatmeal. I am relieved for these products. Soak in the bath water with this product and the welts and itchyness will be relieved. My Dr told me this is something that will n ever go away, there is no treatment for it but the itchyness, burning sensation and the redness, will go temporaryily be relieved. I am so distressed over this. My life is slowing down because of it. I had to quit Nursing school because Water also effects it. My Dr said to wear gloves but I still have to wash my hands. Water causes it also. Our watrer in Riverside california is not filtered and it is toxic and My Dr said that could be another reason for the itchyness. Good luck to all I hope I have helped you...
Hi all, I can relate to many of you. I've had a problem with itching for years. I use Zyrtec to alleviate it so I can sleep & carry on with a normal existence; I don't know what I would do without it. The itching started about 5-6 years ago. I had been on low-carb diet eating NO grains at all. I went off the diet eventually and as I slowly re-introduced breads and grains ( problaby other foods too but grains & breads the biggest thing I had been eliminatiing on the diet) into my system, I started getting itchy. LIke all of a sudden, I would have an itching spot on a few fingers or maybe the palm of my hand. Then as the weeks went by I had it on my feet, between the toes. It started out as bad itching here & there & became full-blown keeping me up half the night. It was so bad I wanted to take a
metal brush to my feet. Over time I was getting the itching on my scalp then different areas legs etc. I had allergy testing that was inconclusive; I dont know what happened but both the dummy test and the allergen pricks were large red lumps on my arm. They said it could be grains but that it could also be something in the way the grains are prepared. That could be anything. The doctor added that I may never find out what is causing it. He prescribed Zyrtec which was a god-send. I believe the itching was brought on due to the grains being eaten again. When I try to give them up again the itching becomes a little less but I have not been able to stay off of every food / grains & wheat for more than a couple of weeks.

Now here it is 5-6 years of itching & trying to control it but nothing simple makes it go away. Over the last 2 weeks it has gotten out of control. Where I was taking Zyrtec every-other day, I now have been woken up at 2 or 3am going crazy & have to take it in-between those days as well. The itching is more spread over the larger part of my body too, not concentrated so much on just the hands & feet. So I went over everything that I had done differently lately. I did start using a new shampoo & after some research found that it contains a highly skin irritating ingredient called Quaternium 15, the one in my new shampoo is Quaternium 26 but I imagine its related. The new shampoo also contains a wheat protien, could that be irritating as well?  I've stopped using the shampoo...

I'm just guessing here like everyone else.
I know you're reading & thinking, if I know really believe that wheat is causing the regular itching I have had all these years. All I can say is try to NOT eat every food wtih wheat or some kind of grain in it...it's EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to maintain that type of diet.

Maybe some day these itching dilemma's of ours will be resolved.
I can only hope. Puff

I've just started having unexplained body itching a week ago I believe. It drives me INSANE. Because when I have to scratch, I NEED to. I hate having to go to college and be in the classroom having to scratch. I scratch all day and night, and I thought it was because I don't bathe too often (not every single day, but every other day). But even AFTER I bathe I have to itch like crazy. I'm starting to get really worried :(
i have the exact situation for 5 years and no doctor ( from 6) could identify my problem ( everyone of them diagnosed my situation completely different from the other)  and i still have it but last year my sister came Venezuela who has the same situation and a doctor that she met by chance gave here this mids it is a mix of a lotion called Hidrebet(3/4) and dermovite(1/4)  if you don't found Hidrebet you can use any lotion without prefum(1/2) , Uriaderm (1/4) and Dermovite  after taking a shower dry your body gently  put  it where you are itchy 2 times a day for a week thin once a day for another week too thin you do so when needed , for me now it's once a week and it's working but it's not a 100% cure you have to  use it always.... i no that i'm no doctor but you can ask yours about.....      
Hi All,
I have had it for 6 years now and the doctors are rubbish, my hives started from a drink from a bottle of Elder flower wine won at Hampton court palace, I over heat, get hives eg wore pop socks they marked my legs and my legs near my knees swelled up so I have extra strong allergy tablets to take the hives down, they make me drowsey but work, a few years ago my top rubbed me on my arms and  had to go to hospital as my arms swelled to the point of no return. I had to have something like hydroquaterzone, antihystamine and Steroids. No one has found anything out, possibly under active Thyroid Possibly Lupus Possibly unknown, the doctors dont know and dont care! my symtoms are: over heating, hives, tired, memory loss, lack of motivation, insomnia, panic attacks, weight gain, restless leg syndrome, I cant wear anything that rubs me or it swells etc.
Anita
Hi everyone,

I had this same issue and around the same time it started I noticed an inflamed cervical lymph node.  Thinking these two things had nothing in common I went to the emergency room complaining about the itchiness that had reached a point where it was keeping me up at night.  When the doctor asked if there was anything else I mentioned my lymph node and he asked if I had been sick lately which I hadn't.  Long story short after ordering an x-ray of my chest they found a tumor in my mediastinal area and the prognosis was lymphoma.  After a CT scan verified this in more detail I met with an oncologist and was diagnosed with lymphoma.

Hope this helps someone with similar symptoms seek a correct diagnosis without delay.
Used to get itch outbreaks in the cold weather and never in the summer weather.  Noticed when this started happening, I was developing whitehead pimples on chest and back as well as face.  Once I would sweat, It would go away but sweating took a long time in the winter as it didnt occur so naturally but with like 5-10 minutes running or other activity.  Only affected my upper body.  Clogged pores seemed to be the biggest culprit possibly blocking sweat causing this itch from toxins in sweat.  I went on and used Biore pore unclogging facial scrub and Dove Gentle exfoliating body wash which cleared virtually all whiteheads leaving my skin smooth and made things a lot better.  These were the only two cleaners I have found worked for me and this.  Moisturizers seemed to help very little by providing a cooling effect on body but rarely worked.  Clogged or small pores seemed to be the key problem.
My son and I have gotten hives from a virus.  VIral Imune Stimulator from Naturopaths has helped the virus immediately.  Byt the rash and itchiness is everywhere and driving us crazy.  We have noticed that building the immune system with vitamins C and E ( We used mixed d tocopherol E) It also attacks the thymus and the aadrenal glands. We are using natural means to build these glands.  So far I have had the hives for 5 days.  This is just started to go around our town. And we went from cold to hot in no time.  Any more ideas?

itchingfamily
I started itching a couple of weeks ago. It happens in different places on my body, sometimes legs, arms, chest, back, neck, head, hands, never all at the same time. Sometimes after a shower sometimes not. I have not changed anything, medications, detergent, shampoo, soap etc.
The only thing that's different is I had my gallbladder remooved about 4 weeks ago. Dermatologist says its dry skin, how all of a sudden do I get dry skin? I am not sure but I do think Benedryl helps but it's hard to tell because if I don't do anything it can go away as fast as it came and be OK for a while. Any suggestions
all of my body itch really bad..legs..back.chest...head...and no redness or anything..i thought maybe because of the supplements i usually use.. but sometimes it goes away..

what i would do is eat a lot of oranges...watermelon...apples...fruits with a lot of fluid. and drink a lot of water and it will get better... thats the only explanation of how the itchness went away for a couple of weeks...

and i mean 2 oranges after every meal and a lotttt of water
After many years of itching problems,I finally found a CURE called Phototherapy-the use of UVB narrow band light.
Good Luck Everybody
I did not read all of the posts, so I hope no one else has already said this, but...

There are many types of urticaria and some are very rare. I personally have cold-induced urticaria (meaning I get an allergic reaction to the cold), but there is also heat-induced urticaria among many other types. Doctor's often do not diagnose these because they are so rare.

Most of these forms of urticaria will respond to anithistamines, although it can be difficult to find one that works (look for a NON-DROWSY one to take during the daytime!). Unfortunately, antihistamines won't always work. The antihistamines help me, but they don't always prevent me from having an allergic reaction when I get cold.

Best of luck
My itchiness started yesterday.  All over. Constantly.  My entire body itches like mad, but mine seems to be heat sensitive.  The "warmer" spots on my body itch more (arm pits, behind the knees, mouth, etc).  And when I took a hot shower last night OMG it was like torture.  I took a cold shower today which was much better, but I'm freezing myself in the house.  Benadryl has not helped at all.  One of the posts from last year mentioned that tea and nuts could contribute, which is interesting since I started the Atkins diet about 3 weeks ago.  I have no visible symptons except that the inside of one of my elbows does have a few bumps on it.  I dont know how quickly whatever this is spreads, but I work with the public and I waited on a customer yesterday who was wearing gloves in the middle of May.. Which in hind sight is starting to make me wonder what he was protection himself from...  I believe hormones could also be a factor. I'm a 28 y/o woman who recently stopped taking the pill for about 3 months, and restarted again 1 month ago. So obviously my hormones are out of whack.  

If anyone has found any relief please let us know.  Reading that some of you have had this for years, isn't really the best news.  I'm 2 days in and I'm going insane already.
Try Utterly Smooth cream in a jar from Wal-mart or other stores. I have these problems and this works most of the time after taking a shower.
i have been itching like mad for 3 days now no rash nothing my skin looks perfectly normal, i cant sleep cause i itch so much i have tried everything so far and cant get any peace from the itching please someone help me and give me some ideas.
My itching started about 6 months ago. No redness, or bumps or any rash. My legs and feet itch the worst, but my scalp, arms, buttocks also itch. It is the worst after I have a hot shower. After I towel dry, it's only matter of a few minutes and my skin begins to feel like it's on fire. The only thing that soothes the itching is Aveeno. It sooths, but it does not stop the itching. It's the worst at night, however is not as bad if my legs are covered.

I have other symptoms, but don't know if they are all related. For example, if I lightly scratch myself, I get welts where I scratched. The main vein in my hands and feet will swell from time to time. I also will get a tingling sensation in my left upper arm.

I have not switched soaps, detergents or anything like that. I do not wear perfumes, nor have I changed my diet. The itching gets so bad that I want to cry. I am seing my doctor tomorrow, and hopefully she will have answers.

I am a 36 year old black female that lives in Ontario, Canada.
idk letting you all know, im 20 years old never experienced and itching problem in my life. Lived most of my life in iowa, moved to florida for a few years, moved back to iowa. The itching started recently when i moved back, and has increased. Yes it is to the point to where i cant stand it anymore. Anyways, I guess i can use some of your input, maybe you can use mine. Try an epson salts bath, seems to kick the itching down a few notches.

ps. for anyone, wat parts of the world do you live, do you think it could be the water, air, or trees. idk government issue.
its just funny, i know of a dozen people in my area who have the same problem. so thats the only reason why i threw the government into the whole topic.
I am exploring possible h-pylori which can be diagnosed with a urea breath test and mast cells in stomach and duodenum which can be diagnosed with a tryptase level on blood. both can be cured. The h-pylori with antibiotics and the mast cell infiltration of gastric mucosa with disodium cromoglycate, 100 mg 4 times a day. I have the itching, biting crawling feeling too but no sign of parasites. I'm going to get tested for both the above and see what happens.
I dread suggesting this word even and not all the symptoms are exactly the same but look up Morgellen's.
My dermatologist put me on an anti-histamine Doxepin (1 time per day) and sulfamethoxazole-tmp ds tablet 2 times per day plus I take Lysine,  a natural virus fighter. Lysine (lots of it works on herpes related things like coldsores, canker sore, shingles, herpes, chicken pox, small pox tho obviously the last two are not seen much anymore (TG) but they are in the herpes virus family.
Good Luck to everyone - this is a miserable way to live.  
Well, I finally went to the doctor about the itching, cause I couldnt take it no more. She is in the process of having me referred to an allergist. In the meantime, she suggested that I take Reactine. It has helped tremendously. I get relief for a whole 2 days!! Sometimes 3 days if I really ignore the itch. I will find out what the Allergist says in September. Will keep you posted!!
I have had sever itching all over my body on and off for the past 17 years.  There is no sympton other than a severe burning itch which appears randomly. This is driving me crazy.  When I get one of these episodes it can last for weeks or months and it can be so severe that it is totally debilitating.  My doctor has decided that it is stress related.  But she only sees it when I feel that I cannot cope any longer.  I believe that it is not stress related but creates the stress.  When the itching starts the only options I have now are to almost overdose on antihestimines and try to keep the affected areas cool with ice packs  which makes it impossible to function in a normal life.  

There has to be an answer out there somewhere.  Over the years I have seen every specialists imaginable, with no success.  This is truly driving me crazy, some days I feel that I just cannot go on any longer.

my mom recently came down with itchy skin mainly concentrated in her upper body - upper back, chest, scalp.  there is no sign of a rash, hives, welts - just redness and some breakage of skin after scratching.  she is under thyroid medication due to a previously diagnosed hyperactive thyroid.  she went to an endocrinologist who took blood tests and found her thyroid levels on the low side.  she was prescribed a stronger dose.  she has been on it for 4 days.  her dr. also mentioned the itchiness could be caused by her low thyroid levels.  she also saw a dermatologist who suggested she change detergents, soaps, use fragrance-free items, etc and suggested she get an allergy test done.  also, she has been taking benadryl orally and been using topical benadryl.

i just spoke to her and she seems miserable due to the drowsiness.  i am hoping the upped dosage of her thyroid meds will do it.  

sorry if i'm not using the proper lingo for her thyroid problem.  i am just trying to get some info out to others b/c i feel i've received some helpful insight into this itch problem by this forum.

thanks for posting and i will post later with any new news.

take care.
I HAE THAT PROBLEM AND IT HAS STRESSED ME OUT FOR ALMOST FOUR YEARS. HONESTLY WHAT I'M ABOUT TO SAY IS GOING TO SOUND CRAZY BUT I WON'T YOU ALL TO KNOW! I LOST MY HUSBAND IN 2004 AND A YEAR LATER ALL OF A SUDDEN I STARTED ITCHING  AND SPITTING. WELL ME I'M THE KIND OF PERSON THAT GETS DOWN THE ITIGRITY. I DON'T GIVE UP SO I HOPE THAT IT CAN HELP AND IF YOU ALL COULD HELP PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME AT POLLEY_25***@**** I SHOULDN'T THING THAT ITS VOODOO BUT IT LEAVES ME NO OTHER CHOICE. AFTER I LOST MY HUSBAND HIS FAMILY STARTED PRAYING OVER BLACK CANDLES WELL LIKE I SAID B-4 I GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THINGS . WELL EVERY SINCE THOSE DAYS I HAVE BEEN ITCHING LIKE CRAZY DOING THINGS THAT I DON'T NORMALLY DO. SPITTING, FARTING, ITCHING. ECT. WHY HUMUM ITS REASONS BEHIND IT BUT I TELL YOU WHAT IF U ALL LOOK AT A TV SHOW OF THE COSBY SHOW U WILL NOTICE THEM TOUCHING THERE NOSE AND SCRATCHING THERE HEAD A LOT MORE THAN THEY USE TO.  HONESTLY ITS SOMETHING AND TO ME READING FROM THE ARTICALS THE DOCTORS DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT IS . ITS UNDISCOVERED. BUT ITS SOMETHING LIKE I SAID B-4 I MIGHT SOUND CRAZY BUT TRUST ME I'M DEALING WITH A FULL DECK! I ALSO REMEMBER ONE DAY WHEN I WALKED OVER TO MY MOMS HOUSE AND HER FRIEND WAS OVER THERE. WELL I LOOKED AT HER AND SHE KINDA SCRATCHED BY HER PRIVATE SPOT WELL THE NEXT DAY I STARTED ITCHING OMG I WAS SO MAD I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND WHY. I WAS CURSIN AND ALL THAT I WAS TELLING MY MOM IF IT DIDN'T STOP IT WAS GOING TO BE A PROBLEM. WELL FINALLY I PICTCHED SUCH A FIT TIL IT STOPPED. WELL THEN I GOT IN A RELATIONSHIP WITH THIS GUY AND HE KEPT ITCHING AND ITCHING . ALL OF A SUDDEN I HAVE BEEN ITCHING. I KNOW ITS NOT A SKIN DES. I KNOW ITS NOT. ESPECIALLY WHEN THE DOCTORS DON'T EVEN KNOW. WELL B-4 THOSE TWO PEOPLE MY X BOYFRIEND MOTHER SCRATCHED OVER HER EYE AND EVERY SINCE THEN I BEEN DOING THAT SO YOU TELL ME! ITS MORE TO THE STORY . THE MESSED UP THING IS THAT THE GUY THAT MOTHER SCRATCHED OVER HER EYE  SON HAD TOLD ME LOTS OF STUFF ABOUT HE WAS GOING TO FIX ME AND ALL THAT MENTAL BS. WELL I GUESS IT WAS HIS FIX . YES I WOULD NOT LIKE TO ITCH BUT OH WELL ! WELL NOW HE'S DOING 17 YEARS AND IF HES' THE REASON FOR ME GOING THROU THIS I HOPE THEY GIVE HIM 17 MORE .  
and another thing i remember one of my cousins saying scratch the itch it helps omg i was trying to ignore it but every sice that day i have been itching i went to the doctor and and i was like something has to be done. well another cousin we was talking and i was like dang i wish the itches stop she say i hope not so honestly people its something that some people knows that we don't its not fair to us. its very mind bothering i mean hnestly who do they think wants to itch like this. yall it almost                       killed me i had stopped eating i had got to the point where i couldn't remember things . its so much i think we need a darn voodoo doctor. and also i read the lady that sipped on the wine thats how mines started my sister n law had a apple wine cooler u didn't know how bad she disliked me well i got a sip cause i thought we was better than that well like a few days later it was a certain spot on my neck that was just itching and when i looked at it it was a little rash well i went back to forthood and all of a sudden i was wanting to leave. after that my life have been such a living hummmmmm u get what i'm saying . i have noticed so many different changes but u know what peoples b-4 i lost my husband i never had a problem maybe it was the 250,000 that i received and it was something that they wanted i don't know but heck it's gone now. so dang stop the itch. i hate that you all had to experience this i use to think that it was my fault for many years but now i know its not especially after i read the lady thats been itching for 20 years comment. yall we need to all get to gether and protest. better yet send it to the president u know remeber back when it started and who was around u and all that well once again i'm not crazy. and if i'm depressed about anything its the dang itches thats making me like that . and another thing i haven't had a happy day since the day i started itching. haven't had good luck either ! so yea they got me yall and seems like someone got yall to! god honest truth i'm not good at lieing especially about nothing like this. ms.polley is with u all maybe we can all come to some kind of agreement or to the bottom of this itching
hi I have had this before and know what it is. It is a mite a body mite and if let go it multiplies. It doesn't go away you have to kill it. Some people have it and aren't alergic to it so you can catch it from them even if they can't feel it. You feel the itch because you are alerigic to it. This is how to kill it . Treat it like lice and treat with lice shampoo only treat your whole body. head to toe treat and in your ears and nose. Leave the shampoo on 30 minutes and then shower all people in the house have to treat. wait one week and treat again just in case. use bedding spray in shoes or wash in hot water if tennis shoes. spray car and bed and wash all bedding in hot water spray rugs and furniture and stay away from people who have this. I have lived with this for 10 years and know how to get rid of this when i get exposed. at first i was scared too because it is terrible and no docter does any good . the lice shampoo should go on out of the bottle on dry skin and hair then put on pjs and wait. do your wash then and when you do the wash put shampoo on hands and arms to protect. spray your shoes and car and wash combes and brushes in washer in hot water. you will end this if you do this right. remember your family will have this too but may not be bothered by it but they have to treat too or you will never get rid of it. walmart has equate brand lice shampoo and spray keep some at hand at all times. god bless.
i posted on the severe itching. i got this from a nursing home patient my aunt. i did her laundry on got it from her clothing. it started with stings and then went into sever itching .no doctor could help me i felt so hopless so i studied on my own after years i came up with an answer and it worked. it is a body lice of some kind. treat it like lice only the whole body is treated nose inside and ears and hair and body everywhere. i put the lice shampoo on dry hair and skin. the only problem is after the treatment you have the symptoms for a few days. wash all bedding and shoes and clothing in very hot water and what you can't wash spray with lice bedding spray. shoes car carpets or leave for a week till they die. these live on people for ever dieing and having babies so they go on for ever. you have to kill them. other people have them but aren't alergic to them so all in the house must treat. other members of the family will have them to if you have given them to them. a nursing home ,school are large groups will spread like fire and it is so hard to get rid of almost impossible. just work at it and you will get this gone but hot water and spray and the lice shampoo will work. i get the product at walmart. shampoo and spray in the equate brand is cheeper. i also keep it on hand for future problems. i am alergic to this mite and i have to be ready. This is a serious problem and it almost got me down but with God all things are possible.
I started itching at 18 first at my groin then my armpits now my scalp, no rash. been to several dermatologist.no answer. I did notice after going on the atkins diet the itching intensified. its funny because me and my mom started itching around the same time. she now has been diagnosed with lichens sclerosa however, i do not show a rash, her conditioned also worsened after teh atkins diet. i just wonder if diet is contributed to this mystery itch/ some body help please
I have the same issue for about 2 months now. My son had the same thing for a few months and now has broke out with a rash. The Drs. can't figure it out. But, what do they know. They are alway mis-diagnosing things. His doctor and mine are both giving us different ideas of what they think it is from yeast infections, dry skin to staph infections. But I was doing some research and I am starting to believe it may be SCABIES.  You can itch forever with no rash, or may have a little that goes away to having a full blown rash. It depends on how much your scratching. You can itch anywhere on the body, but especially in folds of skins and even in the anal area. So I am going back to a different doctor and ask for a scabies test. Because my son has it too. Scabies will not go away on its own and you need a perscription cream to kill the parasites. They live under the skin and lay eggs. They can cause itching on the folds of arms, armpits, groins, anal, between fingers and toes.
hi guys,

Any help/suggestions would be most appreciated...diagnosed with POST-Scabies

2 years ago i had scabies 100%.. following the regular head lice/scabies body lotion treatment (i forget which brand) I’ve never seen any visual signs of scabies.  After the treatment for around 4 weeks i was still inching but this died down HOWEVER i never really stopped itching completely so i re-treated my whole body 2-3 months later. Still 18mths on I’ve put up with mild/irregular itching episodes on the basis our bodies peel/flake/shred skin and most likely this is causing the on-going itch..  

Last week i broke out with a rash in my genital area and although that’s not itchy at all the rest of my body especially face, nose, scalp, arms and legs are very itchy but no visual bumps, humps, dots nor anything.  Upon visiting the doctor 2 nights ago he seems to think its a fungal infection and the still visible rash was checked by him and confirmed not scabies or STD related.  He has given me:

*Unitrac 100mg (14 100mg Itraconazole capsuals - 2 per morning)
*Aerius (Desloratidine) 5mg tablets - 1 every morning (An ANTI-HISTAMINE DRUG)
*Gentrisone 10GM Tube of cream to apply twice a day to the rash

The doctor tells me he is treating several patients for POST-Scabies.  He seems to think although scabies is treatable, on-going itchiness can last forever as a fungi but is possibly treatable with Histamine up to 5 years after the initial breakout of scabies.

Personally I’m a little concerned I’m going to throw good money after bad before we get to the real reason HENCE any help would be gratefully appreciated at this time.

Kind Regards k
Please let me know if you've already been treated for scabies more than 2 months ago AND continue to itch showing no visual evidence of scabies existing today.... Many thanks
any help......my case is similar to those of you above just that i itch both when the weather is very cool and also warm....there are signs of rashes gathered at a particular spot and when it heals it turns that spot white....i also feel a tickle instead of pain when i grip something hard......any help
I have been plagued with this problem for about 5 years now.  I have severe allergies (been tested) and I underwent shot therapy for 3 years.  At the end of the therapy, I quit taking anti-histamines.  For about 6 months life was great as my nasal allergies were gone.  Then I suddenly experienced insane itching as you all are describing.  My Dr said it was Urticaria which just means itchy rash and prescribed two drugs with horrible side effects.  Out of desperation, I started taking an anti-histamine again (Allegra).  This immediately controlled my itching.  I also started using Aveeno shaving cream and soap.  My insurance stopped covering most of Allegra and made me switch to generics which often didn't work so I switched to Claritin.  This also worked for me.

We recently went to Colorado for almost two weeks.  I stopped taking my anti-histamine there after a few days and felt great.  I've been back in Houston for a couple of weeks now and I am experiencing itching all over my body again.  I definitely believe it's caused by some sort of allergic reaction to something (pollution, mold, cockroach poop (seriously -- I'm highly allergic to that) who knows).  I'm going to start taking Claratin again.  I'm seriously considering moving to Colorado.  

I hope all of you gain some insight into your problem and develop a viable treatment program like I have.

I'd also love to know where most of the people posting here live.
I have this damn itching thing too!!!
I'm from Chile and I've search the whole internet to find this...
well, I don't need to describe the itching 'cause everybody knows exactly what it is...
I'm 18 years old and I have been 4 months with this...
If anyone has found the "fully working cure" please post it!!
you know this feels like HELL!
ok, sorry if I made a mistake 'cause I don't speak english...
I just want to let you know that there are other countries with the same itching problem...
goodbye! I hope you had a day without this ******* itching...
I also have this itching

Im a 16 year old caucasian male, I smoke a half a pack of  newport 100's a day, my diet is infrequent, I rarely eat breakfast and lunch and dinner are a free-for-all. I work primarly outdoors. I have no allergies and had extensive testing when I was younger with all negative results, my itch has only been for the last 3 days or so and is across my entire back with a burning tingling sensation, it is so bad I must try to stop it immediately. I notice it gets worse in the heat and cold, lotion or scratching (obviously) are the only things that help.

By the way, these comments run over three years. So much for advances in modern science. Even itching can't be cured.
Let me clarify that last post:

Heat makes it worse, lotion, scratching and cold makes it better

Also the sensation can last for a second to a couple minutes but is not constant

The wording in my last post was a bit awkward, sorry
I am from Holland.
This itch even gives thoughts of committing suicide. It is sooo bad.
The itch is all over my body. Everywhere there is hair growing. From my eyes to my toes. Especially in the evening when the sun goes down. Then I feel all the hair on my body jump up and I get a cold chill and than the damned itching starts. It feels like someone is hurting you with a needle. Sometimes you are watching tv on the couch and then you jump up like someone stang you. It also feels like my blood is cooking. Often it's hard to fall asleep. I itch like a maniac in a horror movie (get them of me!)
I feel this is coming for inside my body. Not caused from the outside. I found something interesting surfing the net.
My belief is that it is caused by my amalgam fillings. I might be allergic to amalgam. I have so many symptoms that might be caused by this. (see http://www.yourhealthbase.com/amalgams.html) I am doing self research on how to start detoxing my body and I will ask my dentist to remove the fillings. But this also must be done by certain steps.
For the itchers amongst us, check out if you have amalgam fillings too. You might be allergic to them too.
I too have been itching uncontrollably for about a month now.  I went to the doctor for the itching and she ran lots of blood tests.  She said I have Hypothyroidism, which is a low thyroid.  I don't know if this is the cause of my itching, but it's pretty coincidental that I started itching close to the same time as being diagnosed with the Hypothyroidism.   She gave me a prescription for antihistamines, but I can't take them during the day, because they make me so sleepy.   It's nice to know that I'm not the only one with this problem, but wish we could all find a cure for the itch.  
hey peoples
I have had a number of welts an itcyness going on.
number of sleepness nites and when infront of heater.
myself and my believe and I was stayn with an unhygienic family
is I think I have been infested with a bug of the mite family.
I have been to doctors that dont know anything about the bug as they have never come occross this before.
DERMAC lotion is available from the chemist. there are more treatments available no quick fix treatments.
If anyone is haveing further problems and feels like its some as to what they have and need further help. my email address is ***@****

dnt be shy I have seen A few people with the problem,its a good feeling when you are not the only one with the problem
For years I have had this insane itching all over my body that comes and goes at will. It is truly uncomfortable while it lasts. I may have found a solution, at least for me and three others with the same condition. Mangosteen juice.
     Like many I have issues with cholesterol and blood pressure and my cardiologist put me on Niaspan (just big doses of the vitamin Niacin). The only side affect is hot flashes. Very intense and causes a rash but only lasts for an hour or so. If you take a low dose aspirin 20 minutes before there is no hot flash or rash. That was great!! Until my doc upped the dose and then upped the dose again. It had great effect on my blood work, but it took 4 aspirin to stop the flashes. Not so good. We looked for anything that might help relieve the side effect. We talked to anyone who would listen, followed this and many other forums hoping for a solution.
     I found an article that explained why some people got hot flashes and others didn't and this is what started to connect things together for me. When certain vitamins and minerals are partially de-solved in, and carried by, our blood they are flooded throughout our bodies and deposited in the smallest capillaries they will fit in until they are completely de-solved. People with bigger capillaries don't get as many deposits. The deposits cause irritation and then inflammation i.e. The hot flash.
     Now I started looking for a way to get bigger capillaries. 2 problems, genetics and chronic inflammation. Genetically some have smaller capillaries than others and most people suffer unknowingly from some amount of chronic inflammation. I couldn't change my genetics so how do I find out if I have chronic inflammation?  As it turns out there is a cheap and simple test to check for it. It is called a "C reactive protein test" and it is generally on the form your doctor fills out to get blood work done. From what I have read, if the score is .5 or lower you are at almost zero risk of heart attack! I guess the test is not used much because there is no medication available to lower your score.
     We searched the internet for a solution and found testimonials and medline data about a fruit that significantly lowered chronic inflammation and C reactive protein scores. The rind has stuff called Xanthones that are exciting a lot of doctors. The fruit comes from Thailand. We found someone who sells a juice made from the entire fruit called Xango and bought a bottle and learned about the dosage. The stuff is a little expensive but you don't drink a lot.
     I started drinking 1 ounce in the morning and 1 ounce in the evening but after three days I still had hot flashes. I changed to 2 ounces in the morning and 2 in the evening and noticed a big improvement, almost no hot flash. 2 ounces in the morning and 2 ounces in the evening and 1 baby aspirin did the trick. No more hot flashes at all.
     Now back to the itching!  My doctor wanted to check the long term effects of the Niaspan, so he had me stop for 3 months and then have labs done. No Niaspan, no hot flashes, no need for Xango right? Wrong!  I guess I hadn't noticed the lack of itching for the three months I was drinking the juice, but I definitely noticed when I stopped. Every couple of days I would get itchy points all over, sometimes for a few hours, sometimes for days. Then it donned on me that I hadn't itched since before starting the juice. I started the juice again. Three days later no more itching. I stopped and a week later the menace returned. I have been drinking the juice again now for 4 months and have not itched once, NOT ONCE!!
     I met a couple of people with the same condition throughout my search and called them immediately with the results and they saw the same effect. The only difference was the dosage. One saw results with 1 ounce twice a day and the other required 3 ounces twice a day.
     I really hope this helps many of you. One bonus is that its just a juice not another pill.
I have had this ITCH for as long as I can remember.  When I was young I remember it being the worst after my shower.  I would cry it was unbearable.  Just on my legs.   When I was pregnant with my 2nd child, this ITCH would wake me out of a sound sleep.  I told my doctor and he told me to try not shaving for a while, which was out of the question.  Plus, when this ITCH started I was so young I hadn't started shaving yet.  So I knew that wasn't it.  Now it starts right when I wake up, and is off and on all day.  Feels constant.  Don't know what to do.  I try to ignore it thinking maybe it will just go away but that never happens.  It's just become part of who I am, the part I hate.
I have had this in the past.  I have it again now.  The only thing that helped me was my allergy medication. It is a prescription. Also with a nasal spray.  I have recently increased my dose because it worked fine for a while now my symptoms have returned.  I itch everywhere.  All over, even in my ears and sometimes the back of my throat.  Right now it is just my skin.  I live in a dry climate, have air conditioning and the dust and pollen around here has been very irritating. My niece has the same problem...she is on a much stronger dosage than me.  By the way, I have to take it regularly for a few days before I start to see results.
i cured this. use pine tar soap every morning in affected area and then rub in tea tree oil. itching should begin to go after about 3 days or so. hope this helps everyone here. xo
I am 69, decent health, take vitamin supplements daily and started this itching insanity, accompanied with sudden swelling of the hands after I scratched so destructively!  I know, I know, stop scratching... they say... because they don't have the symptoms.  It jumps from one spot to the next without the slightest provocation, scalp, feet, behind the knees, behind the neck,on the wrists, between the fingers.  Enough already!

I am going to visit the doctor, but hold very little hope after reading your comments.  If someone finds help, PLEASE SHARE BEFORE WE ALL GO NUTS!  I am not even prone to allergies.  Is it an epidemic?  Do you use sweateners?  I am wondering if these are good for our health.  Thanks all and best of luck during this trying time...
HI people. I know how everyone feels. I am itching like crazy as i type. It's scary and i sometimes cry @ night due to the fact that i have to be up for work in the morning but can't sleep due to itching ALL OVER! IT'S BAD! I am more than happy to know that i am not alone. It's sad. Thanx to everyone who offered some advise on what to use to help this "THING" out. I wish everyone the best and i hope i will get better soon as well.
I had this terrible itching all over for the last year. Every doctor I had seen claimed it's an allergy and allergy specialist could not determine on what, but was familiar with the problem stating that itching would become stronger when nervous. Would get better with antihistamine medicine like Claritin. It was terrible. However I believe I found the way to get rid of it. I found a medicine called Metronidazol, it appears to fight different kinds of microorganisms, bacteries and so on. I took it because I decided I had something no matter what doctors were telling me. I know some will criticize me for taking medicin like that without prescription, but I was simply out of options and didn't want to live with this crap. Anyway- it is almost completely gone now after 5 days of taken it and two days after that. Rarely it appears more like memory flash(skin memory) and disappears fast. I will keep you updated if you want.
Allergic contact dermatitis! Allergic reaction in this case is polyester! Believe it or keep suffering.
Wear all cotton loose clothing. Loose keeps the polyester in the threads of cotton clothing away from skin better.
You will never hear a doctor say allergy to polyester! Never!
Unless you are lucky. For treatments for other skin disorders help the allergy to latex and polyester as well. They know crap about polyester allergy. So millions suffer and never find help! Not real help. Believe this or suffer. It is up to you. I have it. I know! After 40 years of suffering. I found out and I am fine now! My skin is smooth and soft! No itching, unless I contact polyester. ACD is a delayed reaction to an allergen. Most often polyester from people I hear on here.
And shhhhhhhh
It is a secret. Don't say it too loud. Doctors will freak out and say you are crazy. No one can find out about this crazy epidemic. For people will all go on SSI
Try with homeopathy, p2 tables may be good.
I'm still itching and funnily enough if i think about it i start iching at any time during the day and then somedays (regularly) it comes on like an infurno.  I'm dfeinatly more irrotated in the nose, hair, shoulders and back. No rashes, bumps, lumps, or flakey skin.

MY FEELING FOR MANY OF YOU ABOVE AND MYSELF IS 'BED BUGS' OF SOME KIND AND THE ONLY WAY TO DEAL WITH IT IS TO TAKE STRONG BODY APPLICATION LOTION LEAVE YOUR HOUSE FOR 48 HOURS.  DISINFECT YOUR HOUSE & WASH ALL CLOTHES & LINENS AT HIGH TEMPERATURE.  BE EXTREAMLY COMPREHENSIVE IN THIS AND MOVE ON TO SKIN DISEASE POSSIBILITIES.  I HAVENT DONE THIS FOR SOME TIME DUE TO MY WORK SITUATION BUT I WILL UPDATE YOU IN 3-4 MONTSH TIME ONCE I HAVE.

I'd still be very interested to know who has been diagnosed with scablies and snce been fully treated BUT stil litches without any signs of scabies?  Does post scabies exist?

Thanks guys, good luck..
I am a 39 year old female in Portland, Oregon.  

We had bedbugs in our home, and then we got rid of them.  Bedbug bites are very noticeable- they are like mosquito or spider bites.  They are definitely gone.

Since we got rid of them, for the last two months, I've been experiencing the same intense all-over body itch described by so many here.  No rash or apparent bites, except for the welts I leave on my own skin from scratching.  It's worse at night, and worse on my lower extremeties (legs, lower torso, feet) but affects all parts of my body at times.  It's worse in the shower or hot bath, and after I've been itching for a while it feels more like burning than itching.

The only other person in the house itching is my 7 year old daughter.  I wonder if it is psychological because of the bedbugs we had- that was so very stressful, and knowing how hard they are to get rid of, I wonder at times if I am mind-f**ing myself into an itchfest.

Uninsured till February, at which point I'm going to the doc.  

Good luck to everyone, nice to know I am not alone.
I started itching when i moved to different city i was 16 and was under a lot lot of stress, i didn't want to move and loose my childhood friends, I started itching and burning around may, it went away then came back around late june, first i started itching on my scalp, whenever my body temerature would go up, my scalp was also geting very dry, the burning and itching spread to my neck, back, chest, face, almost everywhere! the itching would come and go, when i would take hot showers, it would itch like crazy, the itch would feel like burning needles poking my skin, prior to moving to the new city i was never stressed. its been 2 and a half years, and i still itch. what i think caused it was probably stress or a hormonal imbalance, i also haven't grown an inch in height since a started itching, the burning and itching might of stunted my growth. i'm going to see a doctor next month. my heigt is 5 feet 7, please post your height, to see if we could find out if it also stunts growth. I hope we find a cure for this.
everytime i begin reading these additional posts i start itching evening though i wasnt for hours before..  I hate to but i'd have to agree that there is definatly a psychological thing going on but not all the time...
Hi Itchers. This is my first post. I have had severe itching with no rash all over my body (but especially groin and shoulders) for 17 years. It started when I was 21 and now I'm 38. It is undoubtedly worse when I consume sweet things, even sugar-free sweet things, like Diet Coke. It is worse at night.

I assume, because of the connection to sweets, that this is a fungal condition, but the lack of rash and lack of responsiveness to months of oral nystatin, sporonox, and diflucan are making me question that. Oh, and I seem to have a slightly positive (but not curative) response to OTC antifungal creams...

I have tested negative for all allergies (IgE), and was recently told by an immunologist that I have "IgA deficiency." IgA is the immunoglobulin that protects the skin and mucous membranes from infection, so suddenly it's making sense that some sort of skin infection (still think it's fungal) could be constant since I have no natural defense against it. IgA deficiency is fairly common amongst white people. Anyone have experience with this?

Also, just for complete context, I live an organic, chemical free, alcohol free life. Yes, I have a sweet tooth, but I get my salads and veggies regularly.

So now I want to know exactly what organism is attacking me so I can find a drug that will kill it (yes, I've tried EVERY topical and oral herbal option many times over - I should even be certified as a Naturopath after all my years of research and experimentation).

Besides trying oral antifungals one at a time for months, the only other idea I have now is to get a skin biopsy, and I'm trying to find the right doctor for that. Any ideas? I'll travel anywhere for the right expert.

So does anyone relate to any of this and have further comments? Even though this is hell, it's comforting to know, from seeing all these posts, that I am not alone. Peace out, Jennifer
I'm so glad I found this site.

I too have an all over itch. It's there 24 hours a day but it usually mild during the day. At about 4 in the afternoon and for the next 12 or so hours it becomes almost unbearable.  

I've been to my doctor and he gave me a prescription for cortisone cream. I'm supposed to use this cream on my itch 3 times a day. Well how long do you think 1 tube of cream all over my body 3 times a day lasted??? It did nothing anyway.

I have tried Zyrtec, Telfast, Claratyne and Phenergan. I have stopped drinking tea and coffee and alcohol. I have cool showers using pinetar cleanser. I wear only cotton clothes and use only cotton sheets. Absolutely nothing has helped.

I do have a severe recurrent anaemia for which I have a blood transfusion every 3 weeks and I did have a B12 deficiency which my haematologist diagnosed and I had to have B12 shots. There is some thought that I may be developing a cancerous bone marrow condition due to the appearance of my blood tests and bone marrow biopsies.  I thought this might be the cause of my itch but my haematologist is largely ignoring this symptom.

I'm at my wits end.  I sometimes get NO sleep at all and on good nights I might get 2 to 3 hours of broken sleep with 20 to 30 minutes here and there. I'm scratching my skin so badly that I am causing the skin to break and because I have very little immunity I'm worried that I'll get an infection that I can't fight off. I have already had a bad skin infection on my ankle which had to have 2 weeks of IV antibiotics followed by 6 weeks of oral antibiotics before it got better.

I told my doctor that if I felt that this condition didn't improve then my quality of life is so bad that I couldn't see any point in living.  If I lose hope for a treatment or cure for this intractable itch I can't see that I have any other option than to stop living.  His reaction was one of sympathy and understanding but still no treatment was forthcoming.

I felt as if I was being hysterical and histrionic by mentioning my despair to my doctor and this is definitely not in my nature.

I am desperate and would appreciate any treatment ideas from anyone.

The way my story unfolds is, I caught a stomach virus about 2-3 weeks ago. I noticed I had caught a stomach virus that tuesday night when I ate about a half pound of fish followed a by an Omega-6 capsule, that my mom always tells me its good for your body and etc.  About an hour later into me eating that fish and taking the capsule, I started to get an upset stomach.  I went to sleep thinking in the morning it would go away. But when I woke up I started to throw up and I started to feel ill.  I wasn't hungry throughout the day and when I decided to eat something I threw it up.  My mom told me, I had to go to the doctor the next day.  So I wake up the next day, but as soon I wake up I had this itch on my feet.  So like usual I scratch for about two seconds, but as soon as I was done, it was like I just needed to itch more. It was kinda of weird, I felt like maybe it was the bed bugs or something. As the itch went away after a couple minutes. i started to have an itch on my right arm.  couple minutes after that, I had a itch on my left thigh. I was thinking to myself like, what the hell is going on with me. I thought it maybe had something to do with my virus that I know I had caught.  So that afternoon I went to the doctor and he did infact informed me that I had caught a stomach virus. he prescribe me Ranitidine and Hyomax. Hyomax is suppose to help you get rid of the cramps you get.  Ranitidine is suppose to eliminate the virus but can be used for other stuff aswell.  Anyway, I was taking the medication for about a week and the virus has gone away but the itching is still present.  Now I itch until my skin starts to bleed.  It is such a undesirable feeling.  I cant be in public for to long because I do see the people start to notice that I scratch alo.  I get it all over my body accept on my face and not really on my head either.  But I mainly get it on my arms, legs and especially on my palms of my feet.  I would like to hypothesize that it has to do with bad bacteria being present in your body.  I just cant think anyother reason why I could of gotten this itch desease or whatever people would like to call it.  I feel everyone's pain and I can't imagine for the people that have lived with this for over a year.  If this itch does not stop within the next month or two. I really don't know what I'm going to do with my life.  I've never suffered in any kind of way until now.  

Oh and also, I've noticed its harder for me to use the bathroom as well.  After doing research I'm am contemplating on taking fibers and probiotics.  THIS IS WHAT I FOUND ON WHAT PROBIOTICS CAN DO FOR YOU..................Probiotics are good bacteria that are found in the intestines and the digestive tract. Probiotics help to retain the balance of natural micro flora within the intestines and they reduce the augmentation of bad bacteria's that cause illness.Probiotics are generally used for people who are suffering with Irritable bowel syndrome, diarrhea, Crohn's disease, ulcers, vaginal yeast infections, constipation and canker sores. Probiotics also help with infections that have developed within the digestive tract and with...

Hope this can help some of you guys! God bless
I, like most here, seem in the same situation. Sort of. My itching occurs usually when im still, or not as active as usual, studying, watching t.v., sleeping and showering. Cold, hot or luke warm, doesn't matter. water simply aggravates it. I thought it may be mental, the busier I am, the less I itch. But I came up with raised skin patches, only on the inner thigh, not on my personal area. just the inner thigh, so maybe my soap. switched soap, from reg. to a non soap wash. It only made my body sting, as though i was covering myself in acholol. No help. Switched laundry det. Nothing. Loitions Nadda. Doc gave me a Amilactin, super strength moisturizer, that only...dryed my skin out. lol. I slept with a longsleeve shirt, shorts, and socks, kept a fan blowing cold air on my legs. few weeks later i get a bigger, almost like a blister, on the back of my leg. right under buttock cheek. Back to the Doc, and he prescribes me Valtrex. Valtrex usually treats Herpes, (topical, i.e. cold sores). He said nothing more about my inner thigh raised skin. a few days later, taking the Veltrex, and the raised skin was gone, the blister was gone, I was not itching, and I suddenly became frightened. Did this mean I had Herpes? No, After finishing my Valtrex treatment. I started getting brownish red spots on my hands, no itch but they looked like scar tissue, much research and ascending aggraviation I looked up everything from liver problems, thryroid, Psoriasis, and staff, to Shingles, and  Herpes. every test I could take, the symptoms, the causes, the odds.  I started to itch agian. my hands only first, then the crease between my thumb and forefinger. then my arms, legs, back, neck, the all-over itch agian. NO NOT AGAIN!!!  Now Its scratching till the skin breaks off, and peels away. Maybe it is only mental. I must be crazy.
I suffered for a long time with terrible heat, itching and tingling in my legs and feet (sometimes my bum).  This was especially bad at night when I went to bed and when I would sit for long periods of time - such as when I was at work.  My doctor prescribed creams, etc., but suggested it was stress.  Of course most of my stress came from not sleeping and the constant discomfort.  My legs were bruised and scratched raw; I would wake up scratching when I actually was able to fall asleep.  Finally, after much experimentation and research, I stopped the aspirin therapy my doctor recommended.  Within a little more than 24 hours, the itching, heat and tingling was gone and it stayed gone.  I hadn't put the two together because I was taking aspirin for years before my symptoms started.  At some point I must have developed an allergy or sensitivity to the aspirin.  As an experiment, I took an aspirin about a month later, and the itching returned until the aspirin left my system again.   This can't be the answer for everyone here, but watch your medication (both rx and otc) carefully.  Its unfortunate and so frustrating that we are left to diagnose ourselves for such problems.
I have had this problem for months now my skin will welt up very easy if I'm carrying in groceries my wrists will have welts around them from the bags.. if I scratch myself lightly it will welt up and on some occassions I itch non-stop and have welts everywhere, one time my lip swelled up so bad I looked like daffy duck..lol.. I dont want to go to the doctor because everything I google say's theres no treatment...
I too have had Itching all over.When i say all over i mean just that,in my ears my head,neck,chest,back,belly,legs,hands,face and even IN my nose.There are no signs of a rash or lumps,bumps or bugs.I do have realy dry skin in winter and i realize that winter is upon us but this is like nothing I've ever had before.I'll take that back i did have it about 10 years ago and lasted about 3 weeks but then went away untill now.It's been about a month now and am driving my self and husband crazy with it.I treated myself for head lice,treated the dog for fleas,even looked up scabies info to try and figure this thing out with no avail.But it feels like tiny bugs are crawling all over my body all the time.If you all figure something out please post it here.

Thank You from Missouri
I too am among the itchy.  It started about 2 years ago and was off an on for a few weeks at a time.  For the past 6 or 7 months (maybe longer I lost count) it has been a non-stop thing.  LIke others I am better in the mornings and early afternoons.  Around 4ish I start to itch more and by the time I am ready to lay down and relax it is full on body itch.  It seems to get worse when I want to rest.  

I've done the doctor thing.  Blood work, xrays, ultrasounds...you name it.  I now have a huge list of all the horrible diseases I don't have, but nothing for what I do have.  

I did notice that when I ate chocolate it tended to get worse.  I stopped eating that (as much as it makes me want to cry) and it didn't seem to help.  I didn't think about the sugar thing though.  I will try to cut out all the sugars.  I did see a bit more relief when I was eating only fruits and veges, so maybe something there.  I also read about a case where a man was on Fluoxetine (the generic Prozac) and had the same reaction when he ate chocolate.  Which is why I tried that.  I am wondering now if maybe it's just the Fluoxetine itself.  So now I am in the process of stopping that.  It's never ending...stop this...start that...rinse and repeat.

I have also done the scripts as well.  I've tried hydroxyzine, which helped for a little bit and I did have a few nights of rest, but I had to take 80 or more milligrams of the stuff before it would help and then I was a zombie!  I am now trying Doxepin at 10mg each.  I was told to take 1 or 2 at night.  These things kick my butt and make me very sleepy.  Good thing right?  Sure if it stopped the itch (which so far it hasn't, but it's only been one night).  

Hopefully this will help some of you out.  I am going to take some of the advice and try some new things like probiotics and Lysine.  I will let you all know if anything at all helps.  

Good luck to you all and happy scratching!  
I should also mention that I have taken Zyrtec and it helped at first, but not enough.  I just started to take the script of Doxepin at night and the Zyrtec during the day.  Hopefully that will help.  I will let you know if it does.
Okay I'm 21 years old and ive been having unprotected sex with my partner for a couple of years now, until a couple days ago I realized there where white spots on the lower shaft of my penis and my scrotum, I'm really worried; now every since I can't stop itching my body do I have an std. These white spots sometimes itch I'm hopping they are ingrown hair, please if anyone can help me what I'm dealing with I will be seeing the doctor soon once I get back from my trip. My email address ***@****
I'm 16 and I'm also itchy. It's been going on for almost two weeks. I'm itchy on my sides, stomach, arms, wrists, neck, chest, thighs and calves. Whenever I take a hot shower the itchy parts feel good for like one second and then i have to put the temperature up higher for it to feel good again (if that makes sense).

I've been itching so hard that in some areas I've developed blood clots (i think).

I don't know what to do. I've tried Calamine lotion and Periton, but neither work.
i also like everyone on here have an itching problem, which ive had for atleast 4 years. If i get the tinyiest itch anywhere on my body i can help but have to scratch but not only in that one place but eveywhere else on my body, this will go on for atleast an hour, which leaves my body covered in welts,red raw and so so so sore. i went to the doctors and they told me i must be allergic to something..Nothing. they put me on steroids *this will definatly help with the scratching* 3years later and im still scratching. its so embarrising, ill be out and would slightly scratch my chest and its bright red and welty, everyone notices it and has to comment. its very frustrating and will be up in the middle of night hacking my body up, it usually leaves me in tears and have to get up and have a cold shower to cool my body down! i need help! and by the look of it nothing helps, doctors are useless and cn figure this condition out! not good! guess ill be living with this for the rest of my life then!
So I went to the Allergist and he diagnosed me as having Dermographic Uticaria. When I looked it up online, the symptoms described were exactly what I was experiencing. Good to know that this things finally has a name for me. Downside is that there is no cure. And may take up to 2 years to leave my body. In the meantime, I am on anti-histamines. Which are a pain in the butt. But they help and I am thankful for that.
My wife seems to have the same problems as all of you. But I think all of you can stop this itch it if try not to focus on it as much. The mind is a powerful thing. I believe in self healing, I feel really bad for all of you. Just try to keep yourself busy and dont think about it and it will go away. I noticed that she doesn't itch when she is at work but when she comes home it's mrs itchy lady. We though it was something in the house, so we tried sleeping in different rooms and that helped a lot. Try sleeping in a hotel and see what happens. We went on vacation on a cruise ship for 2 weeks and I swear she didnt itch not one time. I did'nt mention this to her untill we got home and she started itching again. Thats why I think that a lot of this could be mental. maby it;sthe monkey in all of you...lol