Extreme Itching all over body w/NO rash, welts or hives.

I've recently been diagnosed with Urticaria. My doctor says I fall into the 99.9% of the people who have it without any signs. My itchiness has been getting progessively worse for the past few years. I'd say almost 3 yrs now. It's to the point where I can't even engage in intercourse with my partner, go shopping or even go out in the sun. I keep hearing and reading how Urticaria, usually has signs on the skin surface but I don't, except for the really bad itchy feeling. Sometimes I question whether or not I have something else because it's really bad and it feels like I have a sudden burning rush of nails/needles stabbing my skin and I can't even move but only twitch. It's like this on a daily basis with my skin, whenever my body temperatue goes up. I feel like my body's thermostat is broken and I'm constantly overheating. I've been taking Claritin and Benadryl but that doesn't seem to help at all. My doctor also gave me a prescription medicine called Atarax, which only makes me drowsy and doesn't help the itchy feeling. Any suggestions? Btw, I've taken blood tests to see if there is anything wrong but everything came out fine. =/
I have a condition where my scalp is very sensitive and itchy.  I soothe my scalp by patting my scalp constantly resulting in the breakage of my hair.  There are no signs except for a very dry scalp and when I apply any type of grease, the itchiness gets worse.  I've tried all types of shampoo's, conditoners, grease, and hair treatments, but nothing seems to work.  If you have any ideas on how to treat this please feel free to let me know.
About 10 days ago I started feeling itchy all over my skin. No outward symptoms, etc. I asked my wife if she had noticed any itchness, wondering if it was mites or some tiny bedcritters or something. She hasn't, but I've been itchy every day now for 10 days. It's maddening.

I've never been allergic or the ill type. One thing that's changed is I've alot of stress in my life dealing with a difficult teen son. It's also started to get warm, but it does that every year and I've never had this itch in 47 years. But the stress part is new, I'm usually super calm all through life.

If anyone finds a diagnosis that makes sense, or treatment, please post back here. Please.
I got the same thing going on for me.. I itch all over and don't really have any outward symptoms. Just a couple little red swollen areas that I think are from scratching. Its all over my body but mostly my legs and abdomen/chest and ribs. Doesn't seem like anyone's found much of a solution to this problem. my doctor gave me atarax which helps a little bit when I'm going to sleep and some fluocinonide cream that helps a bit as well but I'm tired of taking pills that knock me out and constantly trying to rub cream all over myself, especially since neither work at all sometimes. I've found that my itching gets a lot worse when I am dehydrated and drinking plenty of water seems to help keep my itching from acting up too much. Nights are the worst though. I dont seem to be able to get more than 4 hours of sleep before the itching sets in and wakes me up. Ive been up since 4 with only 4 hours of sleep and an exam at 9. ARGG..

Anyway, I also read something about the raw food diet helping people with eczema. I know eczema is different than what most of us have but it does have to do with the skin so it may help with what we got too. I dunno though, anyone know anything about that?
I, too, itch all over with no other symptoms.  I'm watching what I eat and thnk I've narrowed it down to msg.  There are numerous websites with information on it.  If it isn't msg I'll keep looking for answers...
pob here again..... STILL ITCHING now ive got red swollen spots all over, my itch  is worse in the morning but when i went to the doc he ruled out scabies , allergies etc anyway he's given me a prescription for extra strong antihystamines will be getting them tomorrow if they work will let everyone know but i'm not holdin my breath!!!!! oh does anyone know of an allergy to the amino acid L-ARGANINE coz i just started them. x
I ma not sure if this is the same as what everyone else is talking about, but I started itching after tanning in a tanning bed. I have tanned multiple times before but it had been a while since my last tanning experience before I this specific occasion occurred.  I have been on a lot of different medicines. I was on Remicade when it happened the first time in Dec 06. I went tanning for ten minutes and didn't get any color. The next day my legs were itching. It was horrible, it felt like I kept getting stung over and over by thousands of bugs. I would itch it and it would get worse. No bumps or redness until after I scratched for a while then my skin would get red and occasionally white little bump or cluster of little bumps would appear. When I stopped itching it would go away. The itching was so severe and would not stop so I finally went to the dr and he gave me oral steroids for a week. It went away. A few months later I was out in the sun and had no problems, then a week after that I was out in the sun again for a few hours and I burned quickly. I got a bad burn, but never had any issues with itching. I tried a few months later to try tanning again. Sure enough I started itching really bad again. This time I waited to see if it would go away and within 5-7 days it was gone. Around Dec 07 I was taken off of Remicade because the dr's said I was rejecting it. I thought the itching may have been a symptom of this. They put me on Humira injections and the other symptoms went away but I still cannot tan without horrible itching. I have tried Benadryl, Atarax, Xyzal, Zyrtec and nothing helped. I have no physical signs like hives or rash. I have seen an allergist and have no allergies and my thyroid and blood tests were all fine. He told me to use vanicream ( a prescription lotion that does not have dyes or perfumes) to try to help with any dry skin since  I have some itching at all times. After I tan in a tanning bed the itching becomes unbearable and for the most art goes away after 7 days. It may be the meds because they are known to cause sensitivity but usually people burn easily or get rashes and I dont (I only burned that one day, but didnt itch). I was on the meds for over  year before this started. Also due to my other medical problems I am under  a lot of stress and anxiety, this could also be causing it. The Dr's have been no help with the itching, they have no idea what it is, they just say "Well then dont go tanning", but I really dont want to have to give that up as well as everything else I had to stop due to my auto immune disease (Ulcerative Colitis). Tanning is relaxing to me and it wasnt like I tanned all the time but it was nice to tan during the winter when it was so cold and also to have a base tan so I didnt burn while on vacation.
I also have started having this, mainly in the scalp and lower legs. Mine is always at the same time of year (spring and late autumn) so I have concluded it is an allergy to pollen. Like a hayfever of the skin. Hats drive me crazy.

I found if I wet my hair every day and keep it wet, the itching is much less. I tie it up so it doesn't completely dry all day. Then wet it again before bed. Works for me.

Good luck to you all.
i posted a little while ago about having an intense itch all over my body with no signs of rash.. slowly i began to develop a little rash on the inside of my arm and after seeing 3 other doctors(and even having my blood tested) the 4th finally figured out i have scabies. i am sure that most of you are probably aware of scabies but the thing i never knew that you can have scabies for months (as i did) with no rash. when i finally showed signs of it i figured it was due to my constant scratching. i dont know if this helps or not but i hopefully itll help some of you. the first three doctors i saw didnt catch it and prescribed antihystamines and itching cream. just because i had no rash they didnt even check for scabies so it might be worth checking out...
pob here again started extra strong anti hists 4 days ago and itch almost gone still slight but a lot better so my advice is no matter how trivia the cure sounds give it a go it just might work o x o x o
I suffer from exactly the same thing and tried everyting on the market.  Then.........I came across a wonder pill.  Its main active ingredient is Chlorpheniramine Maleate.  Stops the itching within 10 minutes.  It's sold without a prescription and works wonders.  Ask your pharmacist for the no-name brand as it works just a well.  The 4mg pill works for me.
Give it a try.  I'm sure you'll get relief.  
thanks for the heads up binkers will try them
I too, itch all over, its horrible, and trying to sleep is a deffinate challange. I was told by a friend who owns a homeopathic shop to try silica and sulphur and to do a cleanse. Im on a cleanse tea and also a 3 day cleanse and starting to eat only fruits and veggies and whole grains. He said not to eat any bread, corn, milk or sugar. We'll see how that goes. Iv heard about MSG and itching. Its bad stuff and in so many prepackaged things. Im trying to get back to basics. Plain ole brown rice and friut and salad. Also exersice gets the blood moving and expells toxins. Iv been itchy for 3 weeks and have tried a lot of products, and its very frustrating not knowing the cause and no one seems to beleive the severety of it. Loss of sleep is the worst though because its when we sleep that our bodies heal, so try to keep that under control 1st. I like the natural stuff cause then at least your not loading up the body with more toxins and causing more problems!
I have been going through the exact same thing since I moved into my condo back in March.  I thought it was dust mites or maybe something I was cleaning with.  I feel like I am being bitten by mosquitos all day.  That's the best way to describe my itching.  My blood work came back fine and they wanted to fun an 80 food allergy test on my arm.  I told them it wasn't necessary because I have always eaten everything.  How has the over the counter medicine been working for you?
I have pernicious anemia.  The itching would almost drive me crazy.  PN is dangerous if left undiagnosed.  You need a more intensive blood test than just the usual cbc.  If you have it, you just need b-12 injections.  No amount of pills will help.  Just get this checked, as it will ultimately become deadly.  
I have just had this itching on my torso ( up to below my breasts and down to top of pubic area) and the same on the back, plus my scalp and one palm !! I have been feeling very hot too, there is no visible rash, but its definitely worse at night when Im warm in bed, I am terrified its kidney or liver disease cos I googled it and up it came.......anyone found out otherwise ? is that what the blood tests are for ?
My itching and burning started back when I started through menopause.
When I had to get a hysteroctomy, it began to get progressively worse.
Doctor's couldn't find what the cause was because there were no visable signs.  I couldn't even take showers or baths, and when I did I  felt like my whole body was on fire.  I itched so bad and I felt like my skin was crawling and jumpy.  I found out that some of my symptoms were from hormone imbalance.  I know it may sound funny but I researched the foods and other foods and drinks that I was using.  Remember to also watch the meats that we eat, especially beef which has hormones injected.  That will definitely set off an imbalance in your body.  When there is an imbalance, there is a build up of histamines which will react against your body chemistry, entering the blood stream and causing all problems from inside your body to the outside.  Deep down in our skin there are mast cells which regulate the temperature reaction of our bodies intake of food or drink.  Too much of anything, and we set off the imbalance. Sugar, wheat, flour, potatoes, and corn along with preservatives, can really mess you up.  The liver has to detox all the things in our bodies, and many times its gets bogged down.  It cannot filter out the toxins, so they escape through our skin and urine.
I can't tell you that this horrible thing will go away, but it can be regulated somewhat if you research all the things that you put into your body.  Try to detox first, but remember if you never detoxed before you may have few side effects.  These side effects are common, because they are expelling the toxins and waste out of your body.  You must drink plenty of water also when you are detoxing. Drinking lemon peel slices in water is also a good cleanser.  There was an item told to me by a friend that I purchased on line back then, it was called the itch zapper.  It may sound funny, but it works.  I don't know if it is still available on line or not but it is worth a try.  This item uses batteries.  It heats up and what it does is attack the mast cells deep in the skin, and the itching stops.  I would suggest you read about mast cells for yourself.  If I can be of any more help let me know.
Deborah (catsr3)
The item that I told you about that works is not called an Itch Zapper, but it is called an Itch Stopper, and it is still available on line.  Sorry for the mistake, but I wanted you to get help as soon as possible, and it has been a long time since I bought one.  Just ask for the Itch Stopper and it will come up for you.
Lots of Luck
God Bless
Itchsurvivor

I have it too! So many people with this condition it just seems ironic...
For 2 weeks I have had the horrible itch fits. 20 minutes of intense itching that I can seem to squelch - sometimes starting on the soles of my feet then jumping to my stomach or arms or inbetween my fingers or everywhere except my neck and face. There's nothing there! When I start scratching like crazy welts will come up and sometimes I'll notice what appears to be white bumps coming up which I assume are hives or something but they go away after the fit subsides. I cannot stand this! I've only taken OTC drugs so far (Benodryl, Hydrocortizone, Dermoplast and now Zyrtec) but nothing is working. I'm going to go to the doctor this week but after reading this thread I am not optimistic about knowing anything more after having done so. I did recently stop taking some antibiotics and noticed this started right after I finished them. I don't know if there is a correlation or not but if it were an allergic reaction I think I would have noticed during the week I took them and not 2 consecutive weeks thereafter. God bless all of you afflicted with this horrid mysterious syndrome from the bottom of my (itchy) heart.
This is so strange, it seems like there has to be some connection for it to be happening to so many people and so many of the same symptoms. The thing that is different with some seems to be the age/sex but I am seriously wondering if it could be hormonal.  I had to have everything taken out 3 years ago and then when they found out about my heart disease (Prinzmetal) I also have to go off the hormones they had me on to keep me halfway sane.  LOL  I have noticed different changes in my skin but this came up all of a sudden.  It starts itching all of a sudden and it is an itch that I could dig raw.  It will ease up for a bit and come on like fire ants.  It also is in different places at different times.  Right now it is on the insides of both my legs and goes around to the back of my knees.  I also have a large red patch under my right breast that stays red and sore.  When I went to the doctor he just said it was heat rash.  I asked him why if my breast were the same size I am only getting the heat rash under one?  You know the look they give you, that look of, "I'm God, please don't question me" : )
I have to take a lot of medicine for my heart disease and also take 12,000 mg for it as an experiment to stop the artery spasms and wondered if I was starting to become allergic to it in such high doses. I have been on it for 3 years.
Well I will get off here for now and check back to see how everyone is doing.  I wish everyone and itch free day.
God Bless
Dee
My wife has been suffering from these symptoms for several years with remissions and recurrences.  We have tried many of the OTC anti-histamines, but they offer little relief and usually short lived.

After a good deal of research, it appears that the potential diagnosis of Autoimmune Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria (referred to as IACU and CIU in many medical journal articles) is the most likely direction, but many doctors are not able to make actual confirming diagnosis.  I have found there is one doctor in London that appears to be commonly referenced in footnotes for this malady.  Dr. Malcolm Greaves has written many articles, and actually as a clinical book on the subject to the tune of $230, but it is designed for the clinician and researcher.

From what I have read, there is a direct association with autoimmune diseases, and you should keep an eye on other health issues that are associated to an autoimmune symptom.  My wife just had her Thyroid removed after discovery of cancerous goiters, but she was diagnosed with an autoimmune thyroid disease.  In my readings, with the onset of CIU / IACU, many patients ended up with other autoimmune issues and there was statistical evidence of an association with the Thyroid.  They described CIU / IACU as having histamines within your blood that attack the thyroid proteins, which result in Hypothyroidism.

While all the articles I read discuss anti-histamines as the primary form of treatment, there is debate over the use of both H1 products like Zyrtec, Claritine, and similar products along with H2 products which are normally associated with Heart Burn.  They are Zantac, Tagamet, and Pepcid.  However, there appears not to be a consensus of the joint H1 and H2 treatment showing definitive results.  Either way, it is food for thought to discuss with your doctor.

The one item that appears to have promise, but it sounds like you will need a doctor familiar with CIU / IACU is immunosuppresive therapy.  Dr. Greaves specifically mentions Cyclosporine, and there is another therapy with a new drug called Plaquenil.

Good luck, and please continue to share ideas and helpful treatments.