Extreme Itching all over body w/NO rash, welts or hives.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Viewing 401-600 comments:
WOW--I have just had the SAME thing happen..for a WEEK now I have had a constant itch all over my body EXCEPT my hands, feet and face AND I had used a hair dye spray product for the FIRST time myself...it said to TEST it for 24 hours..I DID--no allergy..but it may take LONGER than 24 hours before the ALLERGY breaks out. NOW what/ I cant stop itching...have you found a way to STOP the problem from the hair DYE? I have already tried prescription creams, atarac pills and benadryl . i am SURE it came from the HAIR DYE...but now do i get rid of the allergic reaction now/? please reply to me at ***@****
i have been really itchy every day and every night, i have no rash or nothing, it's the same amount of itching through the day. i have tried several medications and only one has slightly slowed down the itching but my doctor recommened i shouldn't take the medication for more than 5 days. does anyone have a suggestion of what it might be or anything to try help the itch?
~ You all most probably have scabies, it starts off minor in one part of the body then slowly spread all over the body, best thing to do is apply oil all over your body every time after the shower and consult a doctor immediately before it spreads because soon oil will stop working to reduce itchiness... then if you can afford, buy a new bed mattress and duvet and pillow and use mud or salt baths to kill the bacteria in your skin and all over body apply this for weeks.. or a cheaper solution is to vacuum your bed and change bedsheets every few days ...and by doctor you should be prescribed something linked to dermnet to kill the scabies and mites that are releasing eggs all over your body...also never scratch your body when it itches because it spreads and the itching becomes worse and notice when your body is cold you will not feel any itchiness but as soon as your body is warm the itchiness increases this is because they are living organisms like you and need heat to survive... if your suffering soooo much keep your boy cold/cool by showering in cold water and last of all whatever you do, don't share towels
you have scabies, use oils, salt baths and mud stuff to decrease it and consult doctor for dermnet medicines to kill off the scabies mights and clean ur bed by vacuuming the mattress and changing the bedsheets
I kid you not; at times I am suicidal, and I often think how great it would be to not have to scratch every inch of my body: my face, brows, eyelids, ears; scalp, my entire back; between my fingers and toes, the bottoms of my feet...well you get the picture! I'm miserable and I wake up finding blood on my face; on my back and all over my chest.  I'm scratching as I'm writing this, and the only time it seems less bothersome is during the day.

I could never be in a relationship with anyone because, I wouldn't let the poor person sleep.  Under my pillows, I keep a brush and a metal nail filer for hard to reach places. I've been itching for years.  I take Atarax (25mg) to knock me out at night, but it obviously doesn't work, as I clearly scratch in my sleep.  I spend a lot for cooling creams such as Sarna, and I try to cool my skin with a damp cloth.  I will follow some of your helpful tips; I will pray and hope!  

About 3 years ago my right palm started itching. The area was red and hot to the touch. I went to the pharmacy and they said I had been bitten by something and gave me antihistamines. The next day it had spread to my whole palm and the antihistamines were not working. I went to the doctor and he was quite shocked as he had never seen it before. He told me it was an infection underneath my skin and gave me a sling to keep my hand above my heart. This definitely helped with the itching (strangely enough). I had to sleep holding a frozen gel pack to help with the heat and the itching. After the next few days each of my fingers began to swell up like pork sausages. I couldn't bend them. I went back to the doctor and he did a blood test. He tested for allergies and diseases like lupus etc. All tests came back negative which annoyed me as the itching made me want to pull my hair out. After a week and a half of not being able to use my right hand - it started in my left hand; exactly the same place and same symptoms with my fingers etc. After 2 weeks my hands were back to normal. Throughout the past 3 years it has come back, but not as severe. About two months ago it came back really bad. swollen fingers, terrible itching and my hands were hot. What I did notice this time is that it was in both hands at the same time. Both thumbs would be swollen and itchy, then my ring fingers etc. I went back to the doctor and he made me go for a blood test to see if my body was reacting to something. I got the results back and he said I was having an allergic reaction, but I would have to go for a full screening to find out what it is. I am going for the test next week and hope the tests will clarify what is going on. It is rather frustrating and will post what the results are - hope to help others will the same \ similar problem.
I have itched for almost 4 years. The uncontrollable itch everywhere on my body.. no one else around me has gotten it. ZYRTEC and other Antihistamines control it.

I have been to about 9 Dr.'s and specialist. I have had my blood checked a dozen times and my only allergy they are aware of are cockroaches. It started at random, and have never had any allergic reaction.  From all my dealings I have formed some conclusion which was never certain.

ZYRTEC is a must.. for everyone itching uncontrollably right now.. take ZYRTEC or any other Antihistamine.. Zyrtec works best because it last the longest.. take it before bed for a good nights rest.. (and zombie like morning).  Bite 1 pill in half for half the length of time of relief but less drowsiness.  This is not a solution.. but it makes life bearable again, and until they can figure out what is wrong with me.. it is a must.

The primary term I hear the Dr.'s say is "Dermagraphism". Basically I itch all over.. then when I scratch, my skin flares up where I scratched. and I itch more because of the flare up.. a never ending cycle.  I am a 28 year old male and this came upon me suddenly about 4 years ago.  My head began to itch a lot, especially noticed it while laying in bed. Eventually my whole body began to itch, and has never stopped.  According to studies.. I had this condition as a hereditary trait, and I may never have true relief.

I have been going to a new Dr. for about a year now and He is so far the best and is trying to figure it all out.  Still within the medical field.. this condition is concluded as "Dermagraphism" and is said to be incurable, but treatable (through antihistamines, at least).  My concern is that 1 Zyrtec used to last about 3 1/2 days, and now, 4 years later 1 Zyrtec only last 32 hours before the itching creeps back in slowly..    I'm desperate to find a real cure.

The most recent test which I am waiting on results on was for all forms of Hepatitis which the Dr. thought was a good idea after identifying something abnormal with my liver according to an ultrasound.

A couple of the blood test which were conducted over the last 4 years showed an elevated red blood cell count.. they unfortunately has not determined anything, but through my own research points to liver functionality.  So hopefully my Dr. is on to something.

Im going to recommend having a vitamin check because the B12 deficiency sounds like a real possibility.
***Hi, I'm 16 years old and I have the same experience on the itching scenario (w/o any scratches or red spots).I just can't remember when I got my first encounter to this problem, and just last year I have been searching in the net what was it all about. I have seen some articles (reliably perhaps) were the symptoms are same as what I've experience and I've seen some health-related diseases like Hodgkins lymphoma or Generalized Pruritus (?), and as of now, I'm planning to visit my doctor, just to make sure that everything will be okay. Last night, I got into bed to sleep, and after 30 mins on bed (still awake), the itchiness just arose (i got a good ventilation & i took a shower) and it made me scratch my back, my head, neck and abdomen (almost the whole body). Another is, when I've been into the Church or to serve in the altar, I experienced it also (on rare times & especially when it is hot).
can you send me contact info for this doc, I am suffering with the same and no local doctor has been of much help
wow I too had a similar situation. I believe I am allergic to myself sometimes. I have a large goiter and I'm allergic to iodine too. If u find out anything please let me know.  
I have had this intense itching for almost 8 years now. No bumps, no rashes, no redness. Cannot sleep - up every hour on the hour due to itching. Wake up and feel like a zombie through the day. I can just be sitting and all of a sudden it feels like my blood is on fire as it surges through my upper limbs and across my upper chest. Like a zillion needle pricks on my upper inner arms, my belly and breasts. Started as intense itching on my inner thighs, hips, belly, inner upper arms, and breasts (the fleshy body parts) with tiny raised bumps that were clear, no redness. Now there are no bumps and itching is isolated to upper inner arms, belly, breasts.  I do not take any street drugs. I do not smoke or drink alcohol. I stopped taking all vitamins and supplements, and I stopped taking my blood pressure and cholesterol meds for several months to see if that might help. No relief. I have tried everything I can think of to the point that I moved from my country home to a place in town to get away from the farm water, pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, insecticides, etc. Nothing helped. Everything I do, everything I use is as organic and free of dyes, perfumes, chemicals, etc. as I can find. Nothing helps. Been to 2 allergists, 2 dermatologists, 1 neurologist - not a clue. My primary care physician has had me on anti-anxiety meds in the past (cannot remember all the names) to no avail. The cold, dry winters make the itching wose. Excessive heat and humidity make the itching worse. I cannot hold a job or be in a relationship because the itching is disruptive and embarrassing. If this is what the rest of my life is going to be, I hardly see the point.

Thank goodness, today I found this forum.

Things I have found that has been somewhat helpful:

1) A humidifier in the winter is a must
   2) Prednisone (somewhat helpful at making the itching more tolerable)
   3) Progesterone cream (if you are a woman and taking prednisone) to help control flushing
   4) Sarna lotion (Wal-Mart, Walgreens) with camphor and menthol
   5) Keep body moisturized
   6) Try to stay physically active during the day to keep mind off itching

Things I will now try, thanks to this forum:

1) Ask my PCP for Ambien to help me sleep at night and B12 injections
   2) Check out betametasone to see if it is legal/harmful/available

Thank you for listening.
I have had this horribly painful pin-***** type itching that manifests itself immediately after every shower (always a cool one) and everytime I am exposed to heat. I can't cook, eat or drink hot foods (even Frank's Red Hot Sauce!?!) or beverages, do dishes in warm water, fold warm laundry or sustain moderate activity in even climate controlled spaces (70 deg. F) for more than 5 to 10 minutes without being overcome by my "monster within".  It started about 6-7 weeks ago and would happen 1-3 times a week. Since the beginning of the year, it has been a daily plague, afflicting me as many as a dozen times a day.  The duration is usually from 1-5 minutes.  The only way I can get relief is to retreat to an area where the tempurature is 40 to 60 deg. F.  Sometimes, in a pinch, I will remove as many clothes as possible and rub myself with a wet towel and stand in front of a fan.       One Dr. (with absolutely NO bedside manner) told me, "Well, it could be anything.  I don't know what it is."  Then of course she asks if I am using any new soaps, deodorants, detergents.  Duh, lady...I already went through all that.  Why am I paying you to ask me stupid questions?  Oh, that's right...you are running a 'practice' here. She tried prednisone - did not work.  I finally saw my PCP and he tried Hydroxazine - did not work.  I am going on my third week of missing work and they are getting pissed.  I wrote something and see if you agree with it: A PERSON'S SYMPATHY FOR A SICK OR SUFFERING CO-WORKER IS INVERSELY PROPORTIONATE TO THE DEGREE TO WHICH THEY ARE INCONVENIENCED BY THE ABSENCE OF THAT SICK CO-WORKER.   I am going to see my PCP tomorrow and demand that he do blood tests to look for any abnormalities at all.  I want him to look for bacteria, fungi, parasites, abnormalities in red or white blood cells.  We are the patients and we pay the Doctor's salaries.  We must take charge of our own health care and not leave it up to the Doctor's or we may never find out what is going on with our bodies.  Be proactive.  Do not take no for an answer.  I, for one, am not leaving my PCP's office until I get the tests that I want.
I have had the same problem with prickly itch and red blotching when l get hot, am cooking, or take a hot shower. I have had this problem ever since my doctor had me go through 5 different antibiotics for a really bad chest infection. Ever since l have had this problem and l have no control over it unless l want to live in 40degree temps to keep my body heat down. Like you warm laundry, cooking and doing the housework which generally puts my body heat up. I break out with the prickly itch, red blotching and my body feels like it is burning. I honestly think it was brought on by the over pescribing  of the antibiotics and other meds.When l talked with my doctor about it he just ignored me and gave me no answer. After trying to find out online what might be causing this, l am concerned that it could be something serious and l am just not getting the answers l need. Time to change my doctor l think. Also been thinking about a total body cleanse to clean the toxins from my system and starting a regime of eating more fresh foods and a whole lot less produced food. With all the meds that have their bad reactions and all the produced foods with which we don't know what is being put into them, we may just be hurting our bodies with what we are putting into them.  
You are so right, we do have to take control of our own healthcare. Those who do not suffer what we are suffering, do not have a vested interest, and therefore are disinterested.

I have had this same itching for about 8 years now. It's so much better now than it used to be. I used to hate taking a bath or shower because when I got out I wanted to do nothing but claw my skin off.

This is where mine takes a strange turn from what I've seen elsewhere. When I used to get sweaty or a little overheated, I would start itching like crazy...but I later found out, that if I step into a hot sauna or steam room or take an extremely hot bath or shower, my itching goes completely away  (after a little soaking) and I can function the rest of the day or night fine and my skin feels blessedly wonderful. My doctors even think that is wierd. When I'm asleep, I have no itching whatsoever, but my skin tingles upon waking up in the morning...I've attributed that to dread of getting up and being bored.

Another thing I found is that I cannot eat "manufactured' french fries. If I eat fries from BK, JoB or fake french fries from a restaurant, the next day I feel like someone poured acid on my skin (painful nerve-ending burning). But I can eat "real" french fries (from In-N-Out) with no issues. I also have to limit the amount of sweets I intake because too many sweets will send me into a fit of itching the next day. I've also changed my diet a bit and eat more fish and veggies.

I've also started eating some foods without gluten... I'm not completely gluten free...not really sure how to go about it, but this may have helped me a little.

I also have a very effective space heater at my desk that I turn on if the painful stinging starts. After about 5 minutes with that blowing on me, the stinging stops. I'm not sure if it is just soothing or what, but it works for me.

I was on Lorazepam for about 4 years because it was the only thing that helped to stop the itching in its tracks, but I DO NOT suggest that. I've been Lorazepam free since mid-September and I've had massive panic attacks like you would not believe since getting off of that poison. I expect to have a few more for a few more months and then I hope those go away. It can take, I've heard, 6 months to a year to stop feeling the withdrawal side-effects from that stuff. At bedtime, I take a Valarian and a Melatonin and it has stopped the morning "tingles" almost completely (after several weeks of absorbsion). I'll check with my doctor this week about long-term implecations of this...hope it's ok, but I can't imagine it would be worse than Lorazepam.

I'm going to check with my doctor this week about getting a vitamin and mineral test done to see if I'm deficient in anything, but I think my issue is mosting due to stress and diet considering my itching has diminished so much since July 2011. I'm going in this week to go over the results of a liver ultrasound, a chest Xray and a bone marrow biopsy.

Oh, I almost forgot, and I don't think this has anything to do with my itching considering my itching has been around so much longer than this issue, but I'm currently going through tests to find out why my blood work is so wonky. I have an elevated RBC, WBC and Platelet count. My doctors suspect PV (Polycythemia Vera), but I don't think that's it. PV has been known to cause itching, but again, my itching was around long before my blood cells counts went crazy. I think my blood cells counts are going crazy because of detox from Lorazepam as well as an extremely painful detox diet I was on right before my blood was taken. The detox diet released so many toxins into my bloodstream that my joints and muscles were in extreme pain for days. I had to take pain medication to alleviate that.

Anyway, just my two cents worth...
Hiya  - I have just found these posts and like you I am suprised to find others who are suffering with the same symptoms as me.  You especially describe the same thing - itching/pricking that starts when I am warm/hot, try to do excercise, or if I am frustrated or agitated.  I suffered these symptoms first when I was 17yrs and they lasted for 3 yrs, then stopped.  Since then I have lived with Ulcerative Colitis and had lots of surgery.  After my last lot in 2003 I was left with an ileostomy and the pricking was back.  I have had it now for 8 further years and I have had every test that my local NHS could think of.  The only meds I now have are Gabapentin, and it doesn't really touch it.  It does make life really miserable.
Hopefull between us we will sort out what the cause is.
I have been itching all over my body for 2 weeks now and it is getting bad as heck my fiance doent itch but i do bdly i hate it if someone knows how to get rid of it please let me know ok thanks i have been itching all over my arms legs hands and feet someone help me please
I also had full body itching. I felt like I had rolled in fiberglass. I had no rashes or visible symptoms just itching. This was a head to toe itch; all day, all night. After about 2 weeks it got to the point where I could no longer sleep so I went to the Dr. After blood tests, ultra sound and CT scans it was found that I had a tumor on my pancreas. The tumor was pushing on my gall bladder which in turn cause an excess of bile to be produced. My body couldn't process the bile which caused the itch. Not to freak anyone out but I wanted to relay my story. I'm only 34 and my Dr had not seen anything like this before. Get checked out and look at all the possibilities. If it is pancreatic cancer catching it in the early stages is the most important thing.
I have had the same itchy symptoms for about 7 years now. I rarely ever experience any itching in the morning before 12 and it mostly occurs around 5.30ish every night with the exception of starting at about 1, 2 oclock some days.

I have been to see many different doctors to try and get help some of which who have completely fogged me off and others which have referred me to dermatology, immunology and for genriatric medicine where i had a ECG and several other skin examinations which were all fine I have had a dozen blood tests which have tested for everything they possibly can and they have all come back fine.  

It always occurs when i am warm and when i am in bed or sat by a fire or radiator. It is the exact same itch that you all describe like pin pricks all over my body and there is not one place where i dont itch! I rarely go a day without itching and when i do there is nothing that I have noticed i am doing different!

I am taking Atarax 25mg at night which may have improved it slightly but nothing significent. I am also on Citalopram 10mg as we thought it could be nerve and anxiety related but this has not helped. I take Cetrizine 25mg every morning and again have not noticed any improvement and also have started taking vitamin B12 but again no change? This is ruining my life and I would love nothing more than to get some answers! PLEASE HELP! :(
I'm treating myself with Bragg apple cider vinegar. 1-2 tbsp of vinegar to 1 cup of warm bottle water or previously boiled water.
To much yeast in my body is making me itchy!!!!
Thats exactly what it is - candida yeast.  I suffered for years and was told to read body ecology book by donna gates - i did the detox and it has never returned.
I too have the same issue. I have other medical conditions but this has been a new edition to my other symptoms. No rash but the past few years it was just always on the back of my legs. Now the past few days its intense and everywher, I mean litterally everywhere. Even my nipples. No rash redness obviously from the scratching and benadryl only helps put me to sleep hard enough not to scratch but about two hours after taking it im scratching myself awake. I can not stand this any longer i will be trying to go to the ER tonight but they more than likely will send me home with a script for itch and say im alleric to something and see an allergist. So I don't know if I will go but as I'm typing my eyes are itching and my face. It jumps around from spot to spot of whats the most severe but there is no end or palce th doesnt itch at one point within the hour. I looked up some stuff and could be cancer of the blood. Oh joy! I hope it;s not but hard to convince a doctor your itchiness is cancer related and to test for it. They would rather chalk it up to poison ivy even if there is no rash. if anyone figures it out plz plz plz let me know I cant keep scratching like this at work they think im contagious. And its hard to hide when you carry a hair brush around scratching every inch of yourself.
I have something similar. About 12 years ago, I began having terrible allergies. I started taking Claritin around that time but only seasonally. About three years after that, I began to itch. It started in my legs only and eventually spread to my whole body. There is no sign of anything like bumps, hives or a rash. It seems to move in waves over my body and is extremely intense. The dermatologists can't figure out what's causing it.

My tolerance for Claritin has increased to the point that it won't stop allergies but I still take it for itching. Only 2.5 mg of Claritin per day can stop the itching or at least keep it at a manageable level.

Obviously if Claritin works then the itching is caused by a histamine reaction. I am almost inclined to believe that Claritin is causing the itch and helping it at the same time. I have also considered that a vaccine caused the itching to begin (possibly an immune system stimulant like squalene?) I got the MMR vaccine exactly 5 years before the itching began. It may sound like a conspiracy but I wonder if a time release immune stimulant could be put in a vaccine. Cold temps seem to spark the itching. It is the worst right after I get out of the shower. Heat and warm temps help. The itching disappears when I fall asleep.
Are you still having the itching problem now 2 years later - please advise.
you can email me at hammer_lillian***@****
Please help! I am 32 and about 4 months ago the back and sides of my scalp started to itch. i was always wearing a ball cap at work and use to sweat in it so i stopped wearing the hat to see if that was the problem. Well here i am 4 months later still with a very itchy flaky scalp and a itchy back, waistline, armpits, legs and butt. Skin looks normal but of course becomes red after scratching and when i take a hot shower the spots that itch become very red. I have tried all kinds of creams and allergy meds but nothing really helps. I also have a 6 year old daughter and a 4 year old son that are always complaining about the back of their heads itching. My wife is fine so far. I have been to see my doctor and had a blood test which can back fine and was prescribed a cream and a oil for my scalp which does give me some relief. I guess the doctor thinks that it is exzema (eczema) but i'm not so sure about that. What do you guys think???
I have had this problem for about 10 years, sometimes its bearable but other times its totally unbearable.My skin is not the problem, it something from inside but I dont know what causes it.I had my kidneys checked and they are ok.it drives me crazy and seems to get worse with the dry air and heater running in winter.I tich all over my body randomly, it attacks my all of a sudden and makes me very very irritated and impatient with others.Any more ideas helpful!!
Awesome forum - there's lots of good info in here, and new stuff I think I should try.

I've been having problems off and on with what I thought were skin allergy issues.  Since I was about 24 or so, the tops of my feet would start itching randomly, and they just WOULD NOT STOP.  I could rub them, scratch them, put moisturizers on them, rub them with hydrocortizone cream, put cold packs on them, put hot packs on, take antihistamines, take pain killers... nothing would help.  It would last for a little while (between a couple of days and a couple weeks), then just sorta go away on its own.

In the last couple of weeks, I've had a flare-up that's been much worse than anything before.  My feet have been itching so bad they burn and hurt, to the point that I simply can't ignore them.  And the rest of my body itches too, in random places.  There is no rash, no raised bumps, no sign of any actual allergic reaction.  But if I touch ANY part of my body with another part (fingers to chest, fingers to feet, toes to heel, etc.), the itching in the touched spots becomes much worse and I get a raised blotch there.  The contact rash is the worst on my sides and my wrists, but really happens anywhere I touch.

In this latest round, my doctor basically said "Oh, I'm so sorry, I wish there was something more I could do," and sent me to an allergist.  I'll be going in for some tests, but previous allergy tests have told me I have some environmental allergies, but all of them are easily controlled with over-the-counter antihistamines.  The fact that this particular issue cannot be controlled that way worries me.

A few interesting notes:

The last three times I've had blood work done, the doctor has noticed a slightly elevated level of liver enzymes (SGPT) and a vitamin D deficiency.  I was told the Vitamin D deficiency could be contributing to depression, but otherwise shouldn't be causing any serious issues.  The liver enzymes weren't of major concern, as many pain relievers like aspirin and ibuprofen can artificially raise them and I didn't seem to have any other symptoms of liver dysfunction.  Perhaps something's changed there, tho.

Also, it's worth noting that I can touch my wife on any part of her body and she has no adverse reaction.  She can also touch me and not cause the same kind of reaction in me as when I touch myself.  It's almost like my skin is allergic to itself.

Finally, I'll note that I've had this problem for more than 10 years, having lived in half a dozen different places during that time.  I currently have six cats, but I had this problem while living completely cat-free.  I had it down in California, as well as in Washington where I live now.  The itching doesn't seem to get any better or worse at any particular time of the day, or in any particular environment (just as bad at work as at home).  No worse with any particular kind of food or drink, or even if I go without food for a while.

I saw a number of people here say that exposure to heat seemed to make the problem worse.  In my case, it's pretty much the opposite - heat seems to help the symptoms a bit, while exposure to cold IMMEDIATELY worsens the problem.  I've taken to scalding my feet with the hottest water I can stand, just to get a few hours of relief.  Not a good long-term solution.

I also noticed that certain actions with my hands cause them to hurt as though the nerves inside them are badly inflamed.  This includes gripping objects with my fingers (pressure on fingers causes them to hurt for about a minute afterward), clapping my hands (my palms feel inflamed afterward), and sliding my hands across fabric (my hands feel hypersensitive).  This is not normal for me either.

We're pretty sure it's not poison oak/ivy, and that it's not due to parasites such as scabies, fleas or bedbugs (otherwise, my wife would have been having issues with this too - we know that she's much more allergic to those than I am).

I'm at my wits' end.  This problem is ruining my life and threatening my mental stability.  I can barely function because of it - I hope something turns up that will at least explain what might be going on.
My condition began 14 months ago with the drug Arthrotec which gave me hives and made me allergic to Ibuprophen and ASA. At first they covered my body but got them under some control with the steroid Prednisone. I do get painful itchy hives and bumps everywhere still but have them under some level of control with diet and supplements. But the overriding issue now is that my skin feels prickly stinging scalded, itchy and like it's been gone over with sandpaper.(but nothing showing) Highly sensitive to cold and drafts and sweat and the weight and feel of certain clothes. Sometimes I have to wear only a loose tshirt and pants and then sit with a blanket over me. Definitely feels better when I'm up and around moving-raised body temperature and circulation helps. My diet is so restrictive because so many things aggravate this condition and also bring the hives and bumps back-(the bumps are mega itchy and pressurized-painful. Sometimes I tear them out of my palms.) I can't eat tomatoes potatoes eggplant peppers most fruit except a green apple a day and dark blue/purple black berries. No wheat, most other grains, eggs dairy condiments,sugar of any kind, no spices. I only eat organic meats and try to eat only organic veggies and apples. I eat fish and brown rice. Nothing canned and nothing fried. No booze -not even wine in cooking. Life is very challenging now and expensive.  Been seeing a naturopath for 8 months but they haven't really figured it out. Next I'm going to see a Doctor of traditional Chinese medicine-it's not science but they seem to have success treating these kinds of things.(TCM would classify all skin conditions as manifestations of too much fire or heat inside the body) I'm willing to try anything that has had success. My Doctor's advice was more steroids-no thanks -same as the dermatologist -steroids. Do believe that stress plays a role and that the drug I took kicked up an immuno problem that is hard to come back from because the body keeps attacking what it percieves to be harmful invaders. Also I've been up and down with my belief that it may or may not be candida and the "leaky gut" condition associated with it. My doubt centres around the fact that I've been on a highly restrictive diet and probiotics for 12 months-shouldn't this condition ease off then?  I see that many others' problems here are similar to mine. Will post again once I'm getting the TCM treatment and let you all know whether it helped. Good luck to all.
I began pelleted hormone replacement therapy a couple months ago, withing 2 weeks, I had severe itching that began just in private areas, now it is all over, I'm like everyone else, afternoon/evening is worse, especially when I try to go to sleep!  I have been nowhere that I could contract scabies!  When I went for my second injection of the pellets, that is when it got worse, all over, I think even my hair on my head itches!  It is miserable, am so tired, but having trouble sleeping!  That was the only thing that had changed in my life, so kind of think related to that!  I am on B12 that dissolve under the tongue, wonder if I could just increase that???
Thanks santina6519.so what did your doc do about d pancreas tumor
My naturopathic doctor told me it might be my liver. He told me to try urtica and cilantro (which you can get in liquid form and add drops to water). I haven't been able to find urtica so I'll have to order it from somewhere.  Anyways, maybe that can help someone.
Please Please help! I am 25 and I have been itching like crazy for the past 7 months! It is to a point that I can't run of work out because every time i sweat it feels like my skin is burning and itching itself to shreads, like i'm allergic to my sweat. I shower and I can't scrub the itchyness away. My skin and scalp have never been so dry in my life and no matter what different soaps shampoos or lotions i try nothing is stopping it. The other day i was itching the side of my big toe till it started bleeding. it feels like things are inside of my skin sometimes. please please please help! I can't stand this anymore. it hurts! its not just irritating any longer! it is painful!
I was going thru the same thing for months. I went to the allergist 3 different times for 3 different tests and everything came back normal. I went to 4 different dermatologists and they all gave me the runaround. Telling me not to use this and not to use that. I followed everyones advice and ate better but my skin still iched, especially at night. My private area, butt and legs were the main areas that iched.I was depressed, in pain and pissed off. I finally went to see a 5th dermatologist and she gave me medicine for Scabies. I was offended at first because I wasnt sure what she was trying to say. I always thought of Scabies as only a sexually transmitted disease but she explained to me that there are a lot of other ways to catch it. She gave me a Scabies medicine called Premethrin. Its a cream that you put all over your body (except your face). You put the cream on just for one day then wait a week to put a second application. Its better that you put the cream on at night and wash the cream off in the moring. You want to have the cream on for at least 8 to 14 hours before you wash it of. Like I said after a week you put the cream on again.  I was sufferenig with irritated, red icthy skin for 8 months and after I took the Premethrin my skin started to get back to normal.I'm so upset that I suffered  and spent so much money trying things that didnt work. ###YOU GOT TO MAKE SURE that after you use the cream you WASH ALL of your clothes, sheets  and pillows. Clean your entire home because Scabies is VERY contagious. I have no idea how I got it but I know how I got rid of it!!!!! Go to the dermatologist and bring it up to your doctor. Give it a try!!!! I really hope this works for you and anyone reading this post! I been through it and I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Take care!
I have had severe itching just like most of you. It started when I was 16. It started with one leg and eventually the other. Sometimes its just my arms that itch. It so intense I want to scream. I've cried several times because it is so intense.no physical signs of rashes or bumps. It lasts for about an hour then completely disappears. After the episode, I'm so exhausted and sleepy..these happens maybe once or twice a year. It's embarrassing when you are with others. Nothing seems to help.
Well, last year I was unexpectedly diagnosed with MS. I just found out the itchiness is a symptom of it.. I am going to talk to my doctor about this. I've had every blood test known to man and everything came out normal for other possible diseases. I really hope this is a symptom because they can stop telling me I have primary progressive MS and start treating this horrible thing I've been dealing with for years. Btw, I'm 35 now, still dealing with it
Have you tried changing laundry soap and all hand soaps, cosmetics, lotions, etc. to a dye free clear hypoallergenic product? Many of you describe itching in areas ie., waist, privates, feet, ankles, arms, etc that put your skin in contact constantly with your clothing or bed sheets. In my case, my family is allergic to blue dye in soaps and possibly beverages, foods, etc. Green dye is usually blue dye plus yellow in everything. So try to re wash everything once or twice in soap or detergents that have no fragrance nor dyes. It's helping my itch a lot. Avoid tight fitting clothes as that increases sweating, especially in the waist and ankles. I hope this helps some. I'm a retired pharmacist.
Hi Joaik,

That is awful that you have suffered for so long. I too had the same issue, but I did an elimination diet and found that I was sensitive to salicylates, an acid found in most fruits, vegetables, cured meats and some medications etc.

This may not be the case for you however, but I would suggest doing an elimination diet. I have also heard that aspartame (artificial sweetener found in diet drinks) and celiac disease can cause this too.

Here is a website that I use regularly for my salicylate intolerance: http://salicylatesensitivity.com/info3/. It lists the symptoms, and itchy skin with no rash is one of the top on the list! Who could have thought that fruits and vegetables could do this to us?! It is so good being free from the itching finally.

Hope you find your answer, but it could also be a vitamin deficiency for you, but I would try with an elimination diet first.
so ive been itching since august right before i went on an up north trip with my boyfriend.  when i came back home it went from occuring on my stomach to my breast and i couldnt stop itching.  it would drive me crazy... i wanna go to the doctor because it jumped from these areas to everywhere.. they usually occure after the shower or when im laying in the bed usually evening time.. i really have been searching everywhere on the internet to find someone having the same issues.. and if they had a cure... its definitly caused scaring everytime i itch but i really cant help it at all:( ive tried caulimine lotion and aveno but of coarse all it did was temperally stop them and here they come back again. please help me:(
I'm 37 and healthy.  One night I woke up at 3am and just started itching from my neck down with no hives or rashes. I've been itching for just under a week with barely any sleep. I just started an antibiotic DOXYCYCLINE(antibiotic with an anti-inflamatory), which seems to be helping.  This is day 2 of this prescription.  I don't itch as much and I actually got sleep last night.  I have appt for physical next week and I will have them check levels in blood work.  This forum has helped me deal with this situation, not going crazy!  Will keep everyone posted also if any changes
avoid clorine water(to drink), Avoid sucrolose or splenda. Items like birth control, with wine or spirts, timed released medications, seasoned salt, splenda, clorine water. When taken in combinations raises the toxins in the blood causing < a rash with out raised bumps, sensitve to heat, all over iching. started with hives, stoped went away, returned rash maybe hives, iching burning, get worse as time goes on.
Hi here is my experience about itchy skin.  I had itchy skin for many months. I could't sleep and I didn't have rash or hive.  I scatched my skin and it would just turn red and turned normal if I stop scratching or sometimes I scatched too much so made a lot of scars on the skin.  I went to see family doctor. Did blood test, nothing wrong. I did skin test and no big problem. Then she referred me to see Deminologist. Also nothing wrong.  Finally, I went to see a Chinese doctor. He gave me some Chinese medicine to drink. Kind of bitter.  Cos he said I am lacking blood, although my blood test is normal.  And now I dont have itchy skin.  I still have itchy head during my period but I am a lot better than before. I had an operation on my neck before, therefore it would take a lot of time for me to recover completely.  For those who have itchy skin, you can try to find a Chinese doctor with good reputation and see if that will help.  Because for western doctors, they will usually do some tests and give u some medicine to put on. If the tests results are good, then they can only give you some cream to relieve itching.  Chinese doctors emphasize how to maintain  health. Also, exercise helps blood circulation and will help relief itchy skin too.  Hope this help.
I've got the same symptoms and I'm twelve.  My friends think it might be just an allergic reaction, but I'm not allergic to anything but pollen and dust, and this has never happened before.  I've only had it for two weeks, so my mom doesn't want to take me to a dermatologist yet, but it gets really itchy in school, and since it's on my stomach and chest too, I can't scratch it.  I'll just start twitching because it's so itchy.  
I have had this itchy condition since I was a little girl.  I itch all over my body, but it happens when the seasons are changing.  Usually twice a year; winter to spring and fall to winter.   (like right now).  

It get worse if I am exposed to the sun or hot water.  It feels if I am allergic to the Sun or to my own sweat.  Usually goes away in winter and in summer.   I took Clarinex and help me a lot, but it got my blood pressure up.

I will try Zyrtec.  

I will try Zyrtec.  
Spam, spam spam spam!  Don't advertise your silly placebo here.  I'm glad it worked for your psychosomatic hives (if you are a real person and not just someone profiting off the sale of sugar spray), but it cannot and won't possibly work for someone who has actual allergies and isn't just imagining their symptoms.
I started breaking out in a mild rash a couple months ago on my legs, only below the knees and then little patches on my arms. My whole body itches almost constantly. I have had issues with itchy scalp wihich my dermotologist said was from an excess build up of yeast. I have had 4 biopsys now in the last month & today he said my blood work showed nothing, but the biopsy showed a sign of a gluten allergy.  So he took 2 more biopsys today to confirm that.  I itch the worse in the evening/night time, and like others, I wake up with blood everywhere as well.  The bumps are starting to go away & the scabs healing, even though I did break out with a few more on my leg.  I had knee surgerey on the 14th of February and it had started a week or 2 before that.  Nothing helps with the itch. I orgionally went to the ER and they told me I had Folicuitis which is inflammation of the hair folicles, put me on antibiotics & gave me some hydrozyzine and sent me on my way....didn't help.  So the dermatologist is running tons of tests and gave me doxepin for the itch which helps, but doesnt take it away....I want to figure this out cause I hate this itching and my legs looks so gross from the sores cause now thye are scars & still scabs....  I'm just glad i'm not alone & other people are going through this to without answers....
I have been itching all over my body for about a week now and i have no idea why. i itch my back so much that it gets red and hurts. same thing with my legs and stomach and head. it keeps me awake. i havent tried anything for it yet. i was hoping that i had some illergec reaction to something and it would just go away. its driving me crazy. if anyone has anything that could help please let me know
I'm sorry to here about your itching problem, and all others on this forum. I have always loved to be scratched..my skin always seemed to be rejuvenated by lightly scratching...almost anywhere. That was for 64 1/2 of my years.
Well now, since late January 2012..hell has come to visit me! At first I could manage to sleep a few hours a night...now my "itching everywhere"  is getting serious. I itch everywhere even inside my ears..bottom of feet..hands..fingers all over virtually every square inch of my God for-saken body. I now finally went to the doctor...so far just full blood tests of all kinds....CT scan of my chest including liver, heart, with dye to check for blockages, tumors, stones, anything that might be out of the ordinary. The Dr. did prescribe 30 days of a sleeping pill..and what a blessing that has been for the last two days....to actually be able to sleep for 5 or 6 hours straight. No one so far seems to have a clue as to what is going on. When I find something out for sure I will post it.
I am itchy all day but only on my legs... so frustrating.. does anyone know why??
My parents have had this problem for 28 years, and in the past year my two brothers and I have also "caught" it. No doctors have ever believed them, saying its all imagined. From Google-ing the symptoms the closest match is something called "Morgellans disease". And thusfar the most relief we found is from taking a bath in Eukalyptus oil, twice to three times a day. We need to make Dr's aware that this is a very real and serious condition, NOT psychosomatic. The more people they know off that suffer from this mystery the disease the more they will be pressured to do something about it. And any advice anyone has will be appreciated to be rid of this constant itching, crawling stinging sensations.
I to have been itching all over since Nov.2011. I am still itching as of today. It has gotten better since I started using vaseline after my showers. I have tried benadryl and it relieves the itching , but you have to take it everyday. Anihistimines dry you out, so it can't be good to take continuosly. Itching occurs as soon as I lay down for bed or when my body heats up during hot flashes. My skin all of sudden became very dry and looking like it was losing its elasticity. I am menopausal, I am thinking this is the reason this happening to me. I don't know i am not sure. I did stop taking the benadryl, and started concentrating on moisturizing my skin to stop the itching. Vaseline has been a lifesaver!!! The itching still occurs, but very little itching, so it is getting better. I had hives and itchy bumps, dry round patches on my skin that would surface while scratching. Scaring because of the scratching, blood on my shirts and blouses from scratching back and arms. Just scared me to death!!! So I have been drinking more water trying to flush toxins out all I know is that it is getting better. I personally think it is stress and bad nerves.
I have been itching for about 2 - 3 days now, I think I have scabies, but I'm not sure, my mom says it's maybe an allergic reaction I got from a tanning salon that I went to about 2 - 3 days ago, but based on the information that others have submitted it feels that I may have gotten it from using towels that my brother, mom, dad, and others have used, I'm really nervous because I REALLY don't want to have this itch for 8 years or even up to a month, it's been keeping me awake for the last days and I don't know what I can do to make it go away, this has never happened before, the first time I sensed any real need to scratch myself was about 6 months ago, I used to use my keys to scratch my legs because that's were the itching always came from, it would only happen when I woke up, but then it slowly started becoming more and more common to find me scratching my legs at school, I didn't know what was going on, and didn't at the time because then there was no serious issue with it, but now I can really feel it. It's the first summer day today, and I'm awake at 7:30 AM (I'm 16 so I should be sleeping right now) and it's due to itching why I'm up so early, I can't go see a doctor today because none of the hospitals are open at the moment. It doesn't show any rashes, well none that really last for a decade, just some scars on my legs that go away after every up to 1 day to 2 days maximum, which is good then it doesn't expose the possible infection/allergy to other people including the girl I like, I know how queer this is going to sound when I say this but I have thought about that it might just have been bottled up feelings that I hadn't shared with her and had gotten so bad that it started to have an impact on my health, but I don't know right now, there are so many things that could been the fault for this itching, my only hope for today is try to survive this hell and go see a doctor tomorrow to see what's going on. If you have any other suggestions as to get it to stop permanently without me going to the doctor please, reply to this comment, it'd really help me out a lot.
VITAMIN E-OIL 70,000 IU , I took and rub on my sore spots, then days later broke out in a rash, itchy, welts, hives. does any one know what to do to stop the itch? please help, please
i am going on about two years of this crazy itching. I have been to a few different doctors. Since i already see a few for a number of health problems that i have. The itching starts on the inside of my body. almost like in my nerve endings,then it goes to the outside of my body. Things that make it flare up are, stress, hot showers, getting angry or sad, laying in bed and not being comfotable. Forget about excersice,or cleaning to much. The minute my body heats up i can feel it in my body. I already have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis,which i take a pretty potent shot for those. I was thinking maybe the shot is doing it to me, then my therapist said it sounded like some type of allergy. I have never heard of any allergies like this before. If anybody can help please :)
I am a 62 yr old male.I have itchy and at times feels what I call prickly skin. Head to ankles. Have had this problem for several years. Worse in winter , usually not a problem in summer when I am in the sun and pool. Much worse this winter/spring season and here in Va. winter has been nothing, very warm. My regime to control this has been lukewarm oatmeal bath in morning. Applying Curel Itch Defense lotion after oatmeal batch and again when getting home from work.Before bed at night take a small dose of Benadryl liquid. Sometimes I think after eating it flares up. Really no rash but at times a few scattered red spots. If I scratch the skin becomes extremely red and inflamed. My doc tells me to continue using the Benadryl or get Zyrtec. Read where someone else had success with Zyrtec. Since summer season is almost here and this is never a problem in summer for me I keep putting off going to my dermatologist, who I havent been too in years. Also I feel I should undergo allergy testing for both external and internal possible offenders. My father had similar problem with his skin as he aged. But as others have noted at times this skin problem has now become maddening. Glad I found this site.
I dont know about any of you, but just reading all these comments are making me itch more.
Have you found out what this itching is from?  I have the same symptoms as you mention.  It has been about 2 wks and it goes all over. Thinking about seeing a dermatologist and getting some blood work.
I washed myself all over with a moisturising shower gel which had been sitting unused in the shower for a few months. The gel had turned runny which should have rung alarm bells but I went ahead and used it. After a couple of hours I found I was itching all over and the worst places I scratched heavily.

The next day I could 'read' the finger marks on my skin in the form of spots and a rash which did not improve in a week. After going to the doctor he gave me some steroid cream which I applied twice daily and reduced the rash areas, however I am still itchy and chase itches all over my body, in the areas I had previously washed.

I am using various anti-histamines but none of them seem to stop the itching. The itching is worse on the bottom of my legs after I have been sitting down and at night time.

I assume the shower gel had gone off (it was Dermeze body wash with glycerol) or had become a bacterial culture which I then allowed into my skin in the areas I had scratched.

I have had this itching now for 3 weeks even though the original rashes have gone and I am now getting secondary rashes in random places unrelated to the scratching, which I am now being careful about. The areas with the original rash have now largely stopped itching. I would be interested to know if anyone else has had a similar issue and whether they know what this could be. It is possible but unlikely the shower gel is a red-herring, but I doubt it.
When I was nine, I started itching.  It started in my scalp, then my body (everywhere).  I would cry and scratch.  A doctor finally put me on hydroxyzine (atarax) 25mg., and that worked for a day.  Eventually, I weaned myself off.  It took me nine years, then eventually I stopped needing the medication.  After eight more years without it, I'm back to square one.  I've been taking benedryl daily to stop the intense itching, but I ask WTH is this?  Maybe nerves???
I have been taking benadryl tablets for over 2 years because of my itching.... I'm trying to ween myself off, but its starting up again.

I recently learned that my step brother suffered from itching some 7 or 8 years ago, and found out that he has skin cancer. That has scared the heck outta me, so I'm gonna get checked for cancer also.

Please dont take this itching for granted....It could be something simple, but it could also be something serious.
o m g  i haven stopped itching for the last week, today i went to the docs and he gave me sum cream and thats it, i demanded for sum blood tests which will be done next week as a good friend of mine went to the docs with an itch and they gave her anti histamines finally they got to the bottom of it and she has non hogkins lymphoma, that was a year and a half ago and unfortunately shes losing her battle with only a week to live. shes 25. demand answers, itching like this just aint right and this dam cream aint cutting it. i mite get sum scabies stuff just incase. i have a slight rash on chest but no where else and it itches EVERYWHERE :( good luck everybody, xxxx
After reading this and the other postings  I am freaking out a bit. I have tried not to and I can tend to  think the worst possiblities especially on the web. But I am so glad I came across this forum.  Can you tell me what you found out because I have been itching for about 1.5 years and been using Zyrtec everyday which does stop the itching.  My husband has been out of work off and on these last 5 years or so so we haven't always had insurance and when I am going to go we lose  the ins.  I now have a pain in the upper right quadrant by my ribs and under my breast.  It feels like a bruised rib but thinking maybe gallbladder related although it doesn't hurt from underneath. feels like ribs actually hurt(only when pressed on)
Anyways, that is how I got onto your post with the tumor/pancreas/gallbladder. Unfortunately again we don't have insurance until June. Can you give me anymore info please.
Hi. I am a 32 year old woman that has many symptoms mentioned above like the itching for no reason.... on top of my itching problem, my skin feels like it's burning from the inside all over except for my hands and feet which are cold. I shower with a soap free lotion and cool water.I also moisturize my whole body with sorbeline .... I have had many tests done but they don't seem to find anything wrong . I am sooooo sick of these symptoms and so sick of going to doctors only to be told that there is nothing wrong....does anyone out there have this and can they help......please !!!!!
58 yr. male here with same condition. Sleeping at night is the worst. Feel like things crawling on me constantly. Unemployed & no money for a doctor.Driving me crazy!
Your itching problem sounds the most like mine. I get it once or twice a year. I itch mainly on my arms, top of my hands, wrists, legs, mainly top of thighs and knees.  It is so intense I think I will go crazy. The symtomis between an itch and skin prickling and it jumps around. It gets worse when i get hot or do house work. I used to get it at night when the sheets touched my skin but now I get it in the morning when I wake up and just random times. I havent had this since September but it started gradually a few days ago and is full force today. I used to think benadryl worked but I just went through an episode and it lasted about 30 mins which is about as long as benadryl takes to work. I also started zyrtec when symptems 1st began. I've tried all kinds of lotions and anti-itch creams. what works best is lotions with menthol and peppermint. scratching makes it worse, but I sometimes can't help it. I've seen a dermatologist who ran bloodwork, but everything checked out. He  did give me a cortizone shot that seemed to dull the itch somewhat. I am getting ready to call him and tell him its back:(
same problm from last 4years....anyone plz help me.... i regularly taking medicine(certizene) but not recovered yet.
someone plz help me.
This is just a quick note and perhaps has already been mentioned but i do believe that when we itch so much, it is our body's way of telling us that we need to detoxify.  Toxins will always try to make their way out of our body through various routes and the skin is all part of the detoxification process. Our lymphatic system, located just beneath our skin, will help draw toxins out of the body and alot of the time, rashes turn up in the areas where the toxins are trying to evacuate. So, all this to say that a good liver detox is a great thing.  You can do it through diet.  Milk thistle is good to detoxify the liver but do read up on it to ensure it does not contraindicate with any other meds you may be  taking. Keep in mind that spring and fall are perfect times to detoxify the body.  So lots of water, self massage, back off on sugar intake, eat lots of dark leafy greens and research a good herb that helps detoxify the liver, such as milk thistle. We have to remember to work the organs in the body that have the job of filtering/detoxifying....good luck
As a long-time sufferer of this problem as well as allergies here are things that I can tell you have worked for me:

1) anti-histamines -- I haven't had to take on in over a year now, but they helped me when I first started experiencing the itching.  I see these as a short-term solution

2) anti-inflammatory supplements and vitamin B & C -- I started taking supplements every morning about a year ago and I no longer take any anti-histamines.  Here's what I take: Selenium, Milk Thistle, Vitamin C, Pine Bark Extract, B-100 Complex, Muscadine Grape Seed Extract, Krill Oil

3) wheat avoidance -- I know this may sound crazy, but check out the book Wheat Belly.  
I want to add that you should go see a dermatologist or allergist to have blood work run first.  That's what I did.  In some cases, the itchy skin can be caused by serious illnesses that require medical treatment such as kidney failure.
This may seem to go against everything you would all consider but i used to have the same random itching spells.  They started when I was in my teens.  They would come on in different areas &  move around my body.  It was so bad, I would become hysterical.  When I was in my 30s, I noticed the itching would subside after I was in the sun once or twice a week.  I started tanning a couple times a week, not enough to burn.  Two 15 or 20 minutes in the tanning bed.  It is the only thing that makes the itching stop.  I am in my 40s now & I hardly ever have the itching spells.  It only happens if I go too long w/o tanning...the itching comes back just like before.
Last year I was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma. my first symptom was unexplained itching.

it started off on my legs, went to the soles of my feet then eventually i was itching pretty much everywhere but with no rash or anything. one dr said i had dry skin, another said i was allergic to certain foods. but it turned out i had cancer. i was itching for about 5 months, before i was diagnosed.  
the problem is that you have mites they are creatures that licve on the human body. when hot you began to itch and when cold the itching stops. the best thing to do is to talk to a doctor about it.
I have exactly what you describe and it is a terrible feeling and I understand. I had four biopsies of my neck, back, and elbows. I had many blood tests, every prescription steroid cream, lotion, ointment, foam, powder, etc. They checked my liver, and lots of skin diseases. To no avail. Doctors ruled out everything. Their fallback answer was an autoimmune disease, which I am not convinced. The stress was so bad and itching I also wanted to kill myself, it was hard to live and exist. My answer was simply Benadryl, generic diphenhydramine will work and sleep. Stress seems to trigger itching. Last, go to Walmart and purchase Burt's bees soap, Tea Tree oil shampoo, and Tea Tree oil. The oil seems to help but be warned it smells like cat ****. I hope this helps and the itching seemed to go down in about a year to two years. I was suffering from May 2012 until now. I still suffer and bleed and my best advise is to try not to scratch.
I have had the exact same unexplained itching for many years now.  Started on my back.  Thought it was an allergy to my bra strap but that's not it.  It has spread to other parts of my back, my arms and yes, it feel hot and like thousands of little needles like someone else said.  Hy head itches; a spot on my face itches.  I scratch until I bleed sometimes.  I have a hard time sleeping because I can't stop itching.  I've stopped using any kind of soap or lotion where the first ingredient listed is water or where water is listed at all.  Water will just dry your skin.  I use soap made with goat's milk.  It only helps a little.  I have tried every non-itch lotion out there andnothing helps.  I have tried Gold Bond powder.  I just bought a detox kit in case it could be candida like someone suggested.  I'll try anything.  My allergist can find no reason for the itching.  Glad I found this community.  Appreciate your comments.
I have this unbearable all over itching too. No rash and randomly throughout the day but mostly when I go to bed.  I have just recently noticed that during the week of my last period, the itch disappeared completely but returned again immediately following.   I'm now thinking it may be hormonal but want to find out what tests I should be asking for before seeing my doctor?
I also have this for over 3 year. It happens when i am stressing or someone surprise or try to scare me and also when i get angry. I also happens when i do exercises or they weather is too hot. One thing is for sure is that when i am happy i don't get anything. Also i have a little bit like 8kg excess and i'm trying to lose it since cause i thought it was the problem but with school and all i really did not ,manage. When my body is cool i get nothing. Hope this helps.
I have the same thing on my shoulders. Itch like crazy but nothing there, no rash, nothing. I wake up in the middle of the night because it is so iritating. I first got it 6 months ago on my left shoulder, and it just came back a couple weeks ago, it is now on my right shoulder instead. I am nervous it has something to do with my nerve endings or something. Does anyone know what it is..?
Do you exercise regularly?
I know this sounds strange - but rub vicks vaporub in a light layer on the itch - it will give you reief from the itch - if you can stand the smell
apply vicks vaporub externally to itchy areas - will give you immedaite relief.
Apply vick's vaporub for intense itching - it helps immediately
For immediate itch relief - try Vick's vaporub sapplied externally - gives immediate relief from the horrible itch
If your itches are a stinging, burning, itching pain, you might have a nerve condition called neuropathy.  If it is on the upper body only, it is called brachial neuropathy.  Apply ice or cold compresses.  If it is unbearable, see a neurologist.  He may prescribe the same medication that helps fibromyalgia patients.
I have been itching since October and November of 2011. It started here and there on my body, then escalated to all over...head to toe. The dermatologist prescribed a salve and pills to stop the itching. I have to say, this isn't much compensation. I scratched myself so hard, I made sores all over my body. The salve prescribed, was for the sores. I could only use it for two weeks then off two. The pills are making me so terribly tired...I hate them. I have seen him twice now. I go back in June 11th. He says I look and am doing better than alot of his patients with this same thing. I feel at such a loss, as it isn't getting better. I cut my nails constantly, so I don't hurt myself. I am curious to see what he says on my next visit. Hang in there and don't give up.
My problem is somewhat different that everyone's I've read so far.. And here's a list of my medical conditions: poly cystic-ovary syndrome, herniated discs in low back, insomnia, labrynthitus, and I just lost 90lbs (and counting) in the last 12 months through diet and exercise.

I live in the Caribbean, and we have loads of mozzies here and I'm prone to bites as I'm outdoors a lot. At first I thought I was just getting bit loads but a few weeks ago I couldn't feel the welts (except my scalp, which has about 10 welts). I also have stayed indoors for 5 days straight, and I'm still as itchy as ever.

To add to the bazaar symptoms, when I scratch my body - it feels numb. Not cold or tingly, but I just can't feel where I'm scratching and thus cannot find the 'source' of each itch. Then I started getting small penny-sized bruises all over my legs where the itches were. I've resorted to using a callus softener (flat and scratchy) so I can scratch at a large area at once.

I've tried cold/hot showers, washing bedding/towels, lotions, anti-histamines (provided relief, but should be on these 24/7), after-bite, eliminating everything processed from my diet, no medications/lotions/perfumes/etc, to no avail.

I'm quite convinced that unless people experience 'mystery itching' first-hand, they do not believe.

Any ideas?
I too am Itchy and was on Doxy,  Now on Minocyclin, Meloxicam, nystantin,  flagyl, and hoping it goes away after treatment of meds, I have Lymes Disease. Antibiotics and anti inflamatories seem to come up alot in this itchy skin topic.....
the same feeling of not being able to feel your skin I have also.
I didn't read all comments, too many.  I developed these same syptoms (symptoms) and it got to the point where I was itching my skin raw.  After two weeks of doctoring myself with everything...I went to my Doc.  As soon as she saw it she said she had seen this "fine rash" before in a patient that was having tyroid issues.  Sure enough after a blood test I was diagnosed hypotyroid.  I'm still in the ajustement phase as far as meds go, but the itching is gone.  Coincidently, if I forget to take the med for one day the itching returns.  I hope this helps someone!
itchy skin, feel like bugs are crawling all over me from head to toe,yet i cant see anything. seems like anyone around me starts to itch. been checked for scabies, taken a cortozone shot, wont seem to stop. what is it?
I have itching all over, every time I get hot, over stressed, or my clothes touch my skin. This has been going on for the past 8 years, I have tried all the medications, soaps, shots, blood work for all different kinds of stuff, allergy testing, kidney and liver functions testing, to Lupas. Everything and I can't get no answers. I'm on like up to 300 mg of hydroxyzine. And other medications???? I don't get it.
I have a similar problem which I have been working on for 2 years.  I have been diagnosed with parasites.  Alternative medicine does a better job in handling this without subsequent damage to you liver from long use of drugs.  Cannot say that mine is at all cured. However, my skin wounds are just about all gone.

My message is to look toward parasites as the cause and solution to you problem.
Sometimes I wish I had a rope.same problem,no rashes etc. I take Zyrtec, and it seems to really help. I just hope for all of us that WE can get rid of this!
Much thanks to everyone!
my 82 year old father had a terrible rash that had lasted over six months all over his body.  He's been treated with antibiotics, steroids, various prescription and non prescription creams.  He's had skin scrapings done (no scabies), seen dermatologists and allergists.  No one could figure it out.  He was tortured by horrible itch, losing sleep, miserable and was losing will to go on.  Recently we noticed his shower head seemed very grimy.  Futher examination showed black mold throughout the head.  We have replaced it. Throughly bleached bathroom and now after two weeks his rash has almost entirely disappeared.  Check your bathrooms!!  I can't think how many times he took a shower trying to relieve his itch and may have actually been making it worse by increasing exposure to mold!  Good luck to all and you have out sympathies!  
Im itchi Too i started last week I'm icthi at night while I sleep and during the day ugh it's crazy maybe something is really going on in the world that is getting us all sick my doctor gave me a medicine called hydroxyzine 25 mg tablets they help me a lil not allot though! Ugh I don't know what to do anymore I take showers and what ever and It don't work! Ima going to try drink some Herbalife products and see if that works!
Are you doing ok now? Just checking to make sure.
I have severe itching and have itched for 25 yrs, sorry no cure. I have MS and diabetes that both have itching as a symptom. I also have severe tingling and take lyrica for that, also the MS. The tingling is painful, like being stabbed with a needle. I take hydroxyzine (atarax), about 4-- 25 mg in the morning and the evening. A vet mentioed itching in dogs and that sometimes if you use a lot of antihistimines that can trigger itching, and to cut back a little. She said its also in humans. I have broken two back scratchers, the itching is on the left side of my upper back, upper arms, face, hardly ever below my waist. I see that people are putting in scabies as an answer to someones itching, probably not. I am now an expert in itching. If I think about it I think the itching almost hurts like the tingling. Cold showers help but not for long. I found I did very well in Tucson with the dry heat, no humidity. I live in soggy Seattle and that doesn't help. I try to open a window on itching episodes because that feels better than the dampness in the air and electric heat. Yes the itching is intense, try to keep busy and don't think about it. Ice packs help.
So did the itching stop?
I GAVE BIRTH TO MY PREEMIE SOON LIKE TWO MONTHS AGO AND WEEKS LATER I HAD AN ITCH LIKE CRAZY AND STILL GOES ON I TAKE BENATRYL IT GOES AWAY BUT ITS JUST EXTREME..

I contracted Toxiplasmosis from probably our cat 18 months ago. My immune system healed the illness but my blood test at the time showed a high red blood count. Shortly after that I started itching all over and it clearly comes from something in the air that my skin, hair, eye-lashes reacts to. Perhaps it is our cat's dander that my immune system reacts to since I contracted toxiplasmosis from him. I have had my liver checked from blood tests and ultra sound and nothing seems wrong with my liver. I  just get the sensation of something pricking/touching my skin, eyebrows and hair and then have to scratch it. When I am out of the house elsewhere on holiday the problem goes away. I have just today started 10mg daily of Zyrtec and shall see if this helps (presumably if it does help it takes a few days to work?).
Same thing with the itching, all day and night. I have seen 7 doctors now and no one can figure it out. Gabapentin Caps 100MG  take 1 to 3 3x day as needed for the itching.  It has been the only thing to help me. I take Ambien too to help me sleep. I have no rashes, no allergies, the itching started on my left forearm then it spread to my entire body. It not only itches but feels like bugs biting me hard! I have not bugs in my house either. I even removed my carpeting and stained the concrete floors, etc...Now my oncologist is trying to get a catscan approved by my insurance company to look at my lymph nodes. I do have a histery of breast cancer in 2005.
My wife had chronic itching for 10 years we tried coal tar, all anti itch creams available and the only thing that ever stopped her itching was Prednisone , as soon as she came off the Prednisone it was as if the itch had a life of it's own and was angry at her. I spent years trying to help her and many prayers , finally , one day I discovered "Neem Oil Soap" We had tried tea tree oil and some others and I was hesitant.
She tried it and the itch subsided a little at a time. She still has flare ups once a year or so and we think it may be an allergy but whatever it is the Neem soap worked a miracle . Thank You God for sending us to it.
{ PS Her itching was from head to toe and she was bleeding always from  the itching being so unbearable. }  I do not sell Neem Oil Soap I am just giving everyone an alternative under 5 dollars to try.
Do not forget to give God your thanks if it helps you!
If you have been to a tanning salon you may have caught scabies from there.  Several years ago several high school girls were going to the same salon because they had a sale going on.  They all got scabies.  Scabies is a very small mite that buries under the skin and needs to be treated by subscribed medication which is cream put on from head to toe.  It is highly contagious, so all clothes, bed linens, etc. should be washed in hot water so as not to reinfect.  Other members of family are probably going to have it also.  Contact your dermitologist asap.
It seems this constant itching is quite common and my experience with it tells me it's closely linked to high levels of stress. I was taking anti-histamin tablets and they gave me some relief but due to some family problems I went on a solo holiday and I wish I stayed longer because the constant unexplained  itching was finally going away. However, on my return, and in a couple of weeks the dreadful itching returned. There is little doubt in my mind that it is stress induced.
last week i noticed itching more so at night so i washed all my sheets. Days later i was chopping woods with a friend and myback (previously burnt from the day of splitting wood before and floating the river after) began a gnarly itch. i took my shirt off an it didnt hlp. i then put my shirt on and it wen away. continued working and 30 mins later the itch came back. i had a friend itch it for me and then all the sudden it triggered the craziest uncontrollable itch. i ran up to the house and tried putting water on my back. it kept itching like crazy so i jumped in the shower. i got out an it didnt go away at all. so i got back in until i felt like it was ok. once out of the shower it kept coming back with out stopping. i tried rubbing honey on my back, alcohol, and some weird lotion my friends mom had. she eventually gave me a shot of alcohol and it became at least tolerable. since that my back and now the rest of my body, though mainly my back, its non stop all day but not as severely as the friday it broke out. feels like bugs crawling everywhere but no bumps or noticeable signs. Drivin me nuts an its only day 4. i do notice it more at night because im just laying there.its just weird to me that it started on what was a minor sunburn on my back and now has scaled the whole body. i was also chopping wood that had been sitting for what had look liked decades. idk what could have started this but after reading all these forums im nervous a dr will have no idea what to do. if anyone has any info or ideas as to what may have caused this please let me know!!
I posted here 3months ago and now i found my cure. I just explained to my pharmacists the symptoms and he told me to buy a cream. You just have to apply it on the affected area wheres you itch. It works 90% the other 10 % is because you cannot apply it near the eyes and mouth, i still apply a very small portion though. I can know exercise and go wherever i want and stress all i want without having to itch like mad. The name of the cream is CALADRYL CREAM(42g tube). Everyone please try, its only $3. I stopped taking Zyrtec 10mg after i got this cream. I'm just happy if this work for some of you cause having those itch is like hell and you cannot do things you like, please try it. You have to apply it everyday though but the tube can last for a month.
hi im 16 years old and for 3 weeks straight i have been itchy all over the body. i mean everywhere. right now my fingers are itchy. every time i scratch the itchy part for more than a minute i start geting bumps. its weird because they disappear in the middle of the night. in the morning i itch and in the night. but during the day when i have more focus i dont that much. y am i itchy
I just wanted to thank Itchyone92 for merely mentioning Claritin, because I had developed a quite similar itching condition this Spring, and one evening when it was particularly bad, I remembered you mentioning this, and also remembered I had some generic claritin from when I was trying to tackle allergies a couple summers ago (it didn't fix that).

I took a dose of the fake-i-tin, and amazingly, inexplicably, the itching stopped *completely* in hours, and I now don't get any unusual itching at all, as long as I remember to take a single pill every couple days.

After reading here that some people have been suffering for years, I was shocked to find such a quick and complete fix.
Does anyone know how this drug stops itching?

Thanks again, Itchyone92!
My symptoms started when I around in the 3rd grade, I want to say around 8yrs old. Then my lips and eyes would only swell but no itching. My mom would take me to the er and they had no clue to what was happening. They told my mom it was a rare form of hives....huh? Eventually, the symptoms went away. It started again when I had my son almost 6yrs ago. This time it was everywhere. The itching, swelling, burning was intensified times ten. It had gotten so bad one night that my mother in law rushed me to the er because my throat begin to close. They gave me a benadryl shot and script for prednosone and sent me on my merry way. To my avail neither helped. I start seeing an allergist. He took blood work, did the pin test everything came back normal. Eventually it stopped again. About 3yrs later all the symptoms came back. I went to a different allergist. He prescribe me otc drugs, zyrtec 20mg, benadryl 150mg, zantac 75mg. He told me to take them when the first symptom started. They worked for awhile and again the symptoms went away. Here recently they have come back with a vengence. Uncontrollable itching from head to toe. Burning under the skin. The swellings are shaped like perfect circles and they appear red or bruised  and sometimes in straight lines. Whatever happens on the left side of my body happens on the right side. For example, if my left leg itch on the calf the same happens to my right leg in the same area. Its almost like having athletic feet all over your body. A itch that you can't seem to get to but never goes away. Sometimes it feels like something is crawling under my skin. The zyrtec and benadryl is not helping anymore. I think my body has become immune to it. I have missed days of work from sitting in the er. My supervisor is threatening me with corrective actions on attendance. When I tried to explain to her my condition and show her the papers from the er, her attitude toward me becomes rude and nonchalant. I know she doesn't care I just wish some of these people were in my shoes and they would understand what I am going through. At this very moment, I have swelling, itching, and burning over my entire body. I'm scared to go to the er because I will be there all night, in fear of losing my job. I need help really bad. I read some of the articles about the liver functions. On Thursday, I have an appt. I  am going to make my PCP give me a complete blood count panel with differential, check for cancers and anything else that pops in my mind. I had to cut my dinner date short because the symptoms started to appear and I couldn't hide them on my arms and face. So embarrasing. I am all ears as to what I should do. Thanks
ATTENTION -  I had the same problem for months. I researched and tried everything -  I mean everything.

Solution was simple:  I WAS DEHYDRATED. When the itching returns I just drink more water. I hope this helps all of you.
dear wLiberty
    this is kevin blanchette on behalf of my father i read your story and tryed to read it to my father  but could barly make it half way through before bersting into tears.my father is suffering just like you from what ,seems like no one knows,I never meet anyone else with the same conditions but seems like so many people suffer from the same thing.i was wondering if you could send me a photo of you or if i could send u a photo of him if you could tell me if you look the same.I cant bare to watch my father suffer and take pill after pill to try to controll the itching and the skin iration anymore he has had this condition for 7 years and the same as you test after test and all comback as healthy.the doctors dont even hav a name for this condition so i dont even know how to look for help on the internet and since the doctors dont seem to care enough to look fearther into this iv takin it apon my self to try to find him and many other help some how someway.there has to be some one cares to find a cure for this affel condition.he has also thought of suside thats how bad it is.Im going to send a email to the show THE DOCTORS and see if meaby they could bring some nation attention to the condition someone has to do something and has to try or nothing will be accomplished and many more will suffer.Please respond to my cry for help at kevin_blanchette69***@****  this is my email i look forward to hearing from you.all the best sincerly kevin blanchette
My mother - in - law has been complaining of constant itching.  Her scalp itches and her whole body.  She has been to drs and specialists and has also had blood tests done but to no avail.  She is 70 years old.  Her scalp also has little lumps. Just today i saw tiny pimples on her skin.  Her face has rash near the hair line.  She is so frustrated. Please help.
Iv got terrible itching that started badly the day I wrote this for no appearing reason no rash nothing iv had hives a few years ago but this is rediculous the only reason it burns is from all the scratching.
I have the same problem- very very itchy skin after i shower (mainly on my arms and legs- i would scratch until I bled). I tried everything I could think of and by accident found something that i believe my be the cause.  I eliminated glycerin and that was very slightly helpful and then I eliminated panthenol- a very common ingredient in shampoo, conditioner, soap and even hair coloring.  Today was the 2nd day I have tried a shower without both things and on a scale of 1 to 10 it was a 1.  There is some research that shows that panthenol can be derived from sources such as coconut and peanut oil along with other things that may cause a reaction. http://allergickid.blogspot.com/2009/03/contact-reaction-to-hair-conditioner.html
Panthenol also goes by many different names:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panthenol

I hope this is the culprit because I was very wary of showers.  Let me know if this is helpful.
I started itching all over a couple weeks ago. It comes in spells for a few min then goes away but I'm itching everywhere and it's almost unbearable. There are no signs prior to the itch however afterward there are bumps and welps where ever Ive scratched an itch. I've been reading and think it's a condition called dermographism. I'm researching what I can take to stop the itch. I was tempted to try a cream but it would have to go all over my body :( me no like this
  Please keep the symptons and cures coming as the itching is
driving me crazy.
have you had your anti bodies and auto immune deff. checked. i have just recently started these lil sores in my head after having alopecia Areata and now i'm itcy my head mostly then arms and some times legs i feel like i wiped fiber glass over me so i'm thinking from the silent auto immune diease i have is a big part of what's going on i'm taking beneadryl for mine, so something else to think about if that haven't looked into it.  i have no rash of any kind other than the sores on my head and there saying it's from the hair loss.
I have had the same itching as everyone else, arms, legs, back, neck, etc, for over 25 years now. I have tried everything. The only thing that helps is ice packs. Hope someone comes up with a cure soon.
Hi Mizzy did you ever find out the cause for your itching, or a cure?  i am in the same boat and would desperately appreciate answers.  thank you
please reply

Kelly at ***@****
When I expeienced the problem I did the following and the itching went away:,

1) Added epsom salt and/or sea salt to my bath. Soaked for 30-45 minutes in warm (not hot) water.

2) Followed the soak with a shower. Used 100 % natural soap. The soap has to be 100 % natural and it should actually moisturize your skin. Test the soap's effectiveness by scratching your arm an hour after your shower. If you see white scratches, the soap is too harsh. You can find natural soap at your local health food store or online. At a retail store, purchase Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps (http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/BAR.htm). I actually started making my own soap so I know exactly what goes into it and I have tailored the soap to my skin.

3) After your shower, apply your favorite skin cream all over while your skin is still moist.

In addition:

1) Eliminate or cut down on caffiene and drink lots of water.

2) I also started drinking 1 cup of coconut milk (make cocoa with it) and one green smoothie a day

I am pretty sure my all-over itching was related to being dehydrated from drinking too much tea, not having enough of the "right" fats in my diet (like the kind in coconut milk) and not having enough greens in my diet.
I have read all of the comments and, too, am freaking out. My itching is like an "internal" itch. NOT TOPICAL. Mainly in my feet. Of course it helps to scratch, rub or apply pressure but it can't be relieved or reached. You can't get to it!!!! I am going crazy
Any luck so far?
Same thing happened to me on both feet. And now my hands take turns. Tested negative for Lupus, Rheumatoid arthritis and inflammation. Haven't tested for allergies. What were your results? Also, have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Read online about diabetes and high blood pressure could cause kidney failure with either one and have those symptoms along with others. Calling my doctor today. Let me know how you are doing.
This started with me a few weeks ago I was riding my bike and my arms had a ting and itchy sensation...now its like if my bodyheat rises I go to itching like crazy...I took a shower tonight and felt hot and itchy...it came from no where...it makes me scared its like pins and needles all over when my body is heated or hot
my joints are paining of legs sometimes of my hand also and my body is itchinggggg badlyyyyyyy................i am 16yrs old:)
my body itches all the time.Ihave no rash or hives.it just feels like something is crawling on me.its driving me crazy.
i think this iching is from the food we eat. it is from the gmo junk that monsanto has done to our food. soy is one of the bad ones. go organic and see what happens it will take sometime to get your body back to normal also big farma isnot helping this either date 8/23/12
This sounds exactly like what I am experiencing. I have been searching the Web for years to find someone who had a similar symptom. My doctors have not been able to pin point anything. I am only left with large Dr bills an no answers.

wow i never knew there were so many people with the same problems like me so happy to know im not alone!!!!!!! if ever anyone finds a perminent solution please post asap.i've been having these iching problems for about a year now and i feel like its taken over my life
hey my name is josie, just wanted to know if the itching stap and how becouse when im reading your post its like its my story.....please let me know I have no rash or redness just itching all over my body exactly what you wrote.....
Were you trying to exercise frequently? I have the same symptoms (no bumps , red spots etc.) and I was searching for years... This desease is probably Cholinergic Urticaria (hives) or exercise Urticaria.  Actually the only thing that can help me is, paradoxically, sweating.. sweating a lot! Why do we all have itching more in winter months and less in summer ( I am from middle Europe) and I realized that in summer I sweat much more (because of the heat) and no problems, itching... I´ve find out that especially in winter months when I am not sweating for a long time it´s getting worse and worse (like when i am studying at home for a whole week). So what I did was that I tried to exercise at home and try to sweat as much as possible and then after couple of hours when I went to school, I was OK, no itching when I came to heated class.. (oh its so horrible when people want to talk to you and you have this itching - what to say to them?? it´s invisible and probably incomprehensible for them). So just tried, maybe it will not help you prevent itching. :-)
omg i just started itching about 3 weeks ago and i already cant stand it, im spending atleast 50 mins out of every hr scratching, if i dont scratch, then it burns to the point to where its unbearable. I have no rash, or anything like that.

PS. this took 2 hrs to write.
plz help
you know what, about 4 months ago I found out i had PSVT and that just means i cant drink any caffeine basically. i just started drinking caffeine the day before the symptoms started gona try going caffeine free and post an update in about a week and/or 2.
Hi, actually coffee is alson on my "black list", but I cannot say whether drinking coffee makes it worse or not. You can find on web some articles about coffeine allergy, but its unclear since when I drink caffee nothing happens next few hours, so I dont know, but I do not drink coffee often, so I dont think coffee is the problem.
And do you have really the same symptoms? Itching all over the body when your body is heated and you are starting to sweat (no visible symptoms)? And after few minutes of intensive sweating, it´s better? I have this thing for years. Only thing that help me is probably frequent exercise and sweating a lot since it is problem in your skin. It is probably this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_urticaria  , the histamin in you skin cells make this problem, so 2 solutions - to use antihismanins (anti-allergy pills) or to sweat frequently, so you give no chance for the histamine to irritate your skin. (this is the best I know after five years of searching) Good luck, waiting for your results
Hi, i have the same issue, i have been suffering from itchiness around the same time you had. i did blood tests, allergy tests (trees, animals, dust) but no food test because the doctor thought that i don't need it as long i don't have rash. the problem is exactly the same as you, it starts only at night when am in bed, every single corner or my body itch, under my arm pit, even in fingers and toes.... Crazy like hell.
Am taking zyrtec, it calms down a bit but not really completely.
I can't sleep, i can't rest and it's driving me crazy. I decided that i will take the food allergy test, even though the doctor didn't say so, i can't take it anymore.
I would love to know as you if anyone has the same issue and they found out what is the problem
I've had this same thing going on for almost a year. They treated me for scabies--twice--and then told me I tested negative for it after they scraped the skin. I have scabs and scars all over my ankles and legs that I, too, couldn't go to a black tie function because of the condition of my legs. It first started during a painting trip on Cape Cod where I was traipsing thru sea grass (therefore I thought it could have been a parasite or poison but, of course, it never went away, even with poison and parasite treatment). It's been driving me nuts all year. Dermatologist can't figure it out. My blood work looks good--maybe a little low on the red count--borderline--which could suggest anemia. This past weekend I was on Cape Cod again at the same friend's house and it started up again on my stomach (where the top of my jeans hit my skin). But it continues when I'm home. Between fingers and around ankles. I haven't yet seen an alergist…not sure what the hell to do but like everyone else, I'm going nuts!!! Have you gotten anywhere with your condition?
Hi there….I just joined this itching community as I, too, can't take it anymore. No scabies; no obvious blood deficiency….nothing works--I'm thinking it could be environmental toxins or an allergy. Where did you go to find out you have salicylate sensitivity?? and how exactly did you do your elimination diet, if you have a moment to share? I even get itching between my fingers and on the palms of my hands and especially around my ankles. I have to have carpal tunnel surgery on both handsl , right hand is to be done next week, so I sure how this doesn't interfere with my surgery….thanks in advance for your reply.
Melissa
I have sarcoidosis,and suddenly I got the most terrible day and night all over itching. Three antihistamine drugs did not help at all.
Then, I read about ACV. I took just 1/2 tsp in a glass of water in the morning and soaked in a tub with a cup of ACV. I also applied ACV to cotton wool and dabbed it all over my legs, arms and torso and let it dry fully. Took a sleeping pill and slept like a baby- heaven!  Repeated procedure today and itch about 70% better. Am going to see if I can make it through the night without any sleeping pill. Oh, I do ensure I drink enough water during the day, too.
Hope this will keep on helping and be of help to all of you, too. All the cream I was using, only gave brief temporary relief, and I am scared of drugs because I have reduced kidney and liver function and do not want to harm those organs further.
***PLEASE READ!!!!!****

My ridiculous and what seemed to be ever-lasting itching brought me here to see if I was the only one who had this problem or if anyone else out there had any explanation.

Since about early July, I started to get extremely and uncontrollably itchy. On my arms, stomach, back, thighs, legs...you name it, it was itchy. Shortly after this, I noticed very weird looking and hard to see little bumps on my hands. They were in between my fingers and on the back of my hands. Likewise with my feet and on the inside parts of my wrists. I think it's noteworthy to say that my skin has always been pretty sensitive and would only get further aggravating with the extremely hot weather of this past summer (which has been nothing short of miserable). The hot weather would make me want to scratch more and more. And upon getting out of the shower the itching would worsen despite the numerous amounts of lotions and creams I would apply on my skin :(

I went to a dermatologist and was told I have eczema and dry skin. And she was right, however I have never been one to use antibiotics and other widely known types of medicine like that. Thanks to my mom I have always sworn by homeopathy to accurately diagnose and cure any illness or issue my body had. If you go to one of those health stores such as whole food market or Sprouts (formerly known as Henry's) or other alternative medicine types of places you will find in the HOMEOPATHY section a medicine that is called MEZEREUM. After taking this remedy, the itching vanished and I was able to sleep peacefully without being awoken with the morbidly satisfying feeling of my nails against my skin. Another extremely helpful homeopathic remedy which comes in various forms ranging from pills to lotion is CALENDULA which is made especially to not only alleviate but to heal dry skin, sunburn, and skin irritations. I have been using these and have seen a drastic improvement in my itching. So it really wouldn’t hurt for any of you to try these, even as a last resort. If you don’t “believe in homeopathy”, put this notions aside and give it a shot. It worked and has been working for me, and it should for you too. If you have success with this let me know and let other people know so the suffering stops once and for all.
Best wishes!
Your problem seems little bit different than what is mainly discussed here since you HAVE some visible symptoms.
I have had this itching on my scalp and neck for over a year.  It has been intermittent with no rash.  Within the past 4 wks I started itching intermittently over my whole body. Different places each time, a rash would appear if I scratched, but would soon disappear.  It appeared as hives/urticaria in some places.  When I explained this to my doctor, she prescribed zantac and zyrtec together.  Within 24-48 hrs, my itching had disappeared.  What a relief, I thought I was going crazy.  Hope this can help others.
Try zyrtec and zantac.
Go to the doctor and get premethrin cream. It's used to treat scabies. I've had the same problem repeatedly over the Years. It always cures it. Idk if it is scabies everytime or something similar. I never have any  signs eithe.  But if none of u have tried the cream please do it I know how miserable  the itching can be I remember trying to tear my skin off
I found a solution after nine months of intense itching. Starting with a hair dye experience at the salon. Dermatologist said it was" probably the dye", but after  a dose of RX oil it went away ONLY to be replaced with all over body itching 24/7 intense, burning for God's sake, please- scratch -me -to death- itching. By this time i was seeing my regular PC as the Derm. was bloody difficult to get in to see. I was on 25 mg antihistimine ( hydrozinine) every four hours , sometimes more and sometimes some dopamine to help me sleep at night, but after a few months on the Anti hist. every time i saw a bed I wanted to crawl into it, i was that tired. After begging my PC for an immediate appointment with the Derm for a skin biopsy, I got a phone discussion/consultation with the Derm reccommending me to see a doctor in Boston who specialized in contact dermatitis. I waited 10 more weeks. 3 days of testing with 144 little aspirin-sized tablets strapped to my midriff, outcome RUBBER allergy. Also some textile dye allergies,(black dye#5) and  I have to use fragrance free make up and skin/body care, products. They printed out 23 pages of "OK" products to try out. Bring money. Oh and the Sarna? I was allergic to it.  It had formaldehyde in it, which was a problem for me. i learned about it on this blog and was using it 3 times a day for months, seemed to help! cool, refreshing!
I am 67 years old, NEVER had an allergy. now I have rubber, elastic, bra, panties, all spandex, lycra, stretchie undies, clothes. so overwhelming at the beginning, but i have a SOLUTION!!  allergie rubber: MOUSEPAD  condoms, balloons, foam rubber CUSHIONS, rubber egg crates (I had 2 on my king-sized bed) plus a foam contour pillow. Rubber gloves, make up sponges. and more. PLEASE GET tested people. My ins. covered it, Thank God. After 3 weeks of avoiding all these things (100% cotton bra and undies, cotton sheets, towels, vinyl dish gloves, no mouse pad,new cosmetics etc. I am antihistimaine and ITCH FREE . God is Good. I never thought it was "contact dermatitis", as I wasn't red or didn'yt break out, only when i scratched so much my whole back broke out and i had to use a topical antibiotic. GET allergy tested. Oh and the hair dye problem for me was hydroquinone. The are 7 hair products I can use now, but only those seven. My poor immune system. I am taking 1000 mg C every day to try to get my immunity back!  Good luck everyone, I really feel for you. pray, Get tested for CONTACT. allergies
I suffer the same all over itching, feeling like things crawling under my skin.  I like most others are at my wit's end.  Doctors say allergies.  They are stupid.  If they had it they would not say allergies.  So why do I have to INSIST on testing me for diseases mentioned on the internet:  liver disease, Hodgskins, diabetes, kidney disease.  I take Zyrtek now about every 4 hours.  It is stopping helping.  I don't know what I'm going to do when it stops helping completely.  If I don't have a disease that takes me quickly, suicide is the only solution.  If I have no disease, I will NOT go through the rest of my life like this.
As i ve said above, just sweat, sweat a lot, this is the only helpful solution. I would not recommend to use zyrtek but itcan help. Try to google and read something about exercise urticaria.
Could you give me a drugstore or store that sells this soap?  I have had non-stop itching from head to toe for about 2months now.  I have 7 medications that I have taken for the past 2years: from Gabapentin to Losartan.  I have not had any allergic rashes or bumps, just the itching from my scalp to the bottom of my feet.  I plan to see my Dr. or her PA very soon and just want something to help relieve this horrible itching.  I have scratched myself so badly I have scabs all over and don't how to stop this...I would  be very grateful if you could give just a little more info and you can be sure that I will give God the praise for both you and me...
I have the same type of problem after I shower or workout I itch like crazy to the point of wanting to pull my hair out and I've tried countless things, ointments, creams,ect.... a while back I was getting another tattoo and showered after and the itching started and I was putting the cream I use for my tattoos on to keep them from drying out and I justg started rubbing it all over my arms and such and the itching stoped immedietly, at first I thought it was a fluke but now I use it after every shower and keep some in my car for after workouts, the stuff is called H2OCEAN TATTOO CREAM, they sell it at my local tattoo shop for $10 for a 2.5oz tube a lil goes a long way just thought I would share
I think this got off topic. Lets go back to the point LOL. You do not have scabies. You would have a rash, and tunnels. Tiny tunnels that they scabies used to get in the skin. You could have a phylogical problem going on. Causeing you to itch, such as nerves. If you take an over the counter sleeping pill, it can cause the itching. It is odd though. Over the counter sleeping meds, are simply benadryl. Nothing more. Look at the active ingredents in each of them. They are the same. But benedryal, Over the counter sleep meds, will cause your skin and such to dry out. Which would be dry skin. Another thing it may be, stress. You may be being stressed, or anxiety. The fact that there are no blisters, or tunnels, means it is not Scabies. And scabies DOES NOT HAVE TO BE treated by a doctor. That is the fastest way. But I am a DR. You do not have to get a DR to treat them.

Scabies can not live in hot water. So soaking in a hot bath is a good idea.. You can buy any sulfur based shampoo quite easily at the pharmacy. It does not require a prescription either.  Wash your sheets every day. I know this will be a pain for you. As well take three showers a day, and use baby oil. Wash all clothes and beddings. You can vaccume your bed, and put fresh sheets, and blankets over it. Change pillow cases.

do these things every day for two weeks.

This will work to get rid of them for good. As long as you use the shampoo from CVS Wall greens, or what have you. The MOST IMPORTAN THING FOR YOU TO DO.

Make sure that ALL PEOPLE in the house are treated. Most will say home remedies do not work. but they do. The problem is that someone gets it, and gives them back to you.
I have the same itching ever since my daughter was born, 15 months ago! I am going crazy! Simetimes I feel like diving into an Eucerin pool ugghhh!!!
I have had the same exact thing going on for about 3 weeks. It started out just occasional itching, but now it's almost constant, and it's EVERYWHERE, though only one part of my body usually feels affected at a time. I've experienced heat rashes and skin irritation from the hot tub we have, and I started getting in that for about 2 weeks, but this is nothing like the heat rash I would get - those would be red, and have tiny bumps. This all over, intense scratch-me-till-I-bleed itching has no signs, no rash, no reddness (unless I scratch too much), no hives.

I haven't found any noticeable patterns yet in when I itch the worst. Touching it, even with cloth, MIGHT make it a bit worse. I also got super itchy today in the shower, and probably spent 10 minutes total scratching myself all over, so heat could be a problem, or just the sensation of water/touching my skin.

I've tried all sorts of itch lotions, cortisone, and antihistamines like benadryl. None of it helps.

I'm going to try changing my diet, and I'm going to start washing my sheets and clothes in the gentlest detergent and fabric softener. I tend to eat a lot of fatty foods, and am addicted to snack foods and soda, so MSG might be a problem, or something like it. I also got daily vitamins, and will pick up extra B12. I know I'm covering a lot of bases so it could be hard to tell what helped the most, but I'll keep tabs and let everyone here know if I see changes.

I will most likely not go to a doctor for a long time. I have fibromyalgia, even though it's legitimate and I rarely see the doctor for anything else (sans flus or other obvious ailments), I feel like sometimes they treat me like a hypochondriac because I have that. A fibromyalgia patient walking in complaining of vague, intense itching with no visible signs? They'll just laugh and tell me to take benadryl.

I really hope everyone here will find help to ease them from their suffering. This is driving me nuts, and I haven't even had it for a month yet! I can't imagine what some of you are going through, having it for years. You're all in my thoughts.
This sounds like "Systemic Candida" which can be caused or made worse by pregnancy.  It means you have too much yeast in your body.  I found a great site called "http://bonzaiaphrodite.com/" about a woman who had this.  You will need to cure your candida to find relief.  Hope this helps!
I have read nearly all of the postings here and realize that I am not just some itchy freak! I have company! I just wish I could figure out what the hell is wrong with me. I am 34 years old and in the past 3-4 years, my shoulders and my upper arms go through this unbearable itching stage. Everything that everyone has written here applies to me as well. Once in a while my legs will itch, my neck, even my hands and feet, but mostly my shoulders and upper arms. We have 2 dogs and a bunny who shed like crazy! I am student-teaching right now which is extremely stressful so it gets even worse. I very rarely get a good night's rest. It only happens at the end of the summer into fall and I think it pretty much goes away for the winter and spring and the beginning of the summer. I went to see an allergist but didn't have any symptoms at the time. Now I don't have insurance. Both my allergist and regular Dr. told me it's just allergies and to take an allergy pill. I take alavert sometimes, but I don't think it really helps. Everything is so expensive and my boyfriend is supporting me and three kids so it's really hard right now. I'm going to try neems oil soap first. Does anyone know of a laundry soap that is gentle enough to use?
Have any of you heard of the terms "topical steroid withdrawal" or Red Skin Syndrome? I have it and it sounds like a lot of you may have it too. I have used oral, topical and injected steroids for my eczema in the past and it is now a million times worse than it has ever been. Constant burning, itching -- feels like my whole body is tingling with an itch -- like it's on fire. And now most of my body is covered in red, rashy, *****, bumpy skin.

It might be worth looking into if you've used steroids in the past for your skin or another ailment. There is no cure except to get OFF the steroids and allow the withdrawal to run its course. There's no quick fix but there are lots of coping techniques that you can try. Check out the Forum section of http://www.itsan.org/ -- hope this helps! I know I felt so much better just being able to have a name to call it and finding others who are going through it too. Good luck and God bless!
I have severe itching, burning and pain like tiny needles pricking my shoulders, neck  and especially crook of my neck on both sides. If I scratch (which is I want to do constantly) it gets even worse. At times I have the burning on my legs and arms too and wearing clothes is painful. I have been to a dermatologist, allergist and my primary re: this with no help from any. I have changed detergents, new pillows, every lotion and cream and take Benedryl constantly. I am only able to sleep if I have ice packs on my shoulder neck area.I wore a collared shirt to work last Friday and was glad I wore a tank top under because I had to pull collared shirt off of my neck and put ice pack on area as often as possible(hard to do this on the job.) It is absolutely maddening and I wish I had talons on my fingers so I could just rip my skin off, like that would do any good. I have heard about some type of Fibromyalgia that can cause this. I appreciate ANY recommendations anyone may have.
I've recently began to have an uncontrollable itch all over my body... Along with the itch my joints hurt so much I am beyond scared because no one in my family understands.. my skin hurts so much.... Everyone here is talkin about itching does anyone else have joint pain too???
I've been having the same issue for about six months now. I went to the doctor for an allergy and skin test. I found out that I was allergic to dust-mites, but that wasn't causing the issue. I started itching when a hairstylist surprisingly bleached my hair when I specifically told her regular hair dye. My hair was orange and the itching immediately began after this horrifying experience. I washed my hair repeatedly but the itching continued; especially when the temperature was hot. After scratching, my skin would immediately whelp-up and go down after 3-5 minutes. I couldn't understand it. I have been taking over-the-counter allergy pills for 6 months until I found I prayed and GOD led me to a natural cure. I decided to do the Master Cleanse that consists of Freshly juiced lemons or limes, cayenne pepper, and 100% maple syrup. This is all I consume for the entire cleanse. Also soak in the bathtub every night using two cups of Epson salt. Epson salt immediately stops the itching and soothes the skin. I'm on day 3  and the itching has reduced 50% already. The Master Cleanse is known to dissolve tumors, cyst, and other harmful parasites and toxins in your body. After this cleanse, I plan to eat whole foods, juice all my fruit and vegetables., and stay away from as much processed food as possible. Here is the link for more information about the Master Cleanse http://calorielab.com/news/2008/07/17/master-cleanse-in-detail/
Im 15 and i have yeast problems too i think. I have the super itchy skin that keeps me awake and i get oral thrush here and there.  
Take zyrtec it works wonder, but the next day the itchyness will come back.  I've been suffering for 4 1/2 years.
You seem to be the only one with any kind of solution on this comment list. Can you give more specific information on what kind of itch you had, how long it took to get the yeast under control, and what other things you did while doing the treatments?  Your advice will be greatly appreciated, I think.
If you get a hair dryer and place it really close to the itchy area until it starts to burn the itch will go away just keep doing this whenever your body is itchy and slowly move the hair dryer over your body. The heat stops the itching for about 8 hours.
I have itching all over my body with no rash or hives either, however I'm a little different from what I've read above.  I DO have seborrheaic (sp?) psoriasis on my scalp and in my ears.  Over the last six months, I've also gotten a sporadic rough patch here and there on different parts of my body ... shin, arm chest ... maybe about 4 in all.  I rub the shampoo I've been prescribed on them - Clobex - and they eventually go away.  About a month ago I had a breakout on my eyelid and was prescribed another cream that worked. Then I had eyelid surgery and it's coming back on both eyelids.  So I'm wondering ... is it possible that the psoriasis comes out when I'm stressed physically or mentally and do you think it's possible that the psoriasis is sort of "looming" throughout my body and that's the reason I itch even if there is no breakout?
I am 60 yrs old and starting in late June of 2012 I started to itch.  At first i thought it was a bug bite as it showed red spots, but nothing raised.  This lasted about 3 wks and then just vanished.  Then on August 3rd, I was moving some boxs for a yard sale and the spots came back with the same bad itch.  I am not one to scratch at anything so I figured it would go away with over the counter anti itch meds.  This time it stayed and became so intense as to keep me awake at night.

The itching always increased in intensity in the evening.  I described it as crawling naked thru fiberglass.  Prickly and very sensitive to have anything touch it , like blankets or clothing.

Finally I consulted with my PCP and was sent to a dermotologist.  Now going on 2 months of care from him.  The first course of treatment was to burn off what he called Keritosis on the skin, as he said this was the primary cause as they became irritated in the sun.  Two weeks later, with the itch at an all time high, he determined that was not the cause and started me on an injection and prednisone, along with a anti itch lotion he prescribed for me.  This took the edge off, but I found that Aloe Vera worked the best to sooth the itch.

Next came the neurotin, excuse my spelling as it is 2:17 in the morning in the basement where it is cool, and I am not awake but can't sleep because of this.  At long last I felt we had the fix.  The itching disapeared and finally I was sleeping  again.  Until just last saturday when I could feel it start up again.  Now two nights in a row, have been sleepless.

With me I find the coolness of my basement is where I like to stay.  No heat, hot showers, or exercise.  Blood tests have so far shown nothing, but I am finding some very interesting comments here and some new avenues of approach.

Good luck to all out there.
I have itched for two years now. I've change laundry soap, I've got new clothes, I've change diet two different times, tried all kinds of meds and lotions. I know sometimes I stress or have anxiety but I find I'm itching most at night and sometimes I go to bed happy because I have nothing on my mind. I even have a new matress. I live in a town that is almost two-hundred miles away from where I used to live and where the itching started, so I don't think its the water. I've changed bathing soaps and shampoos, lotions. Nothing is stopping it. No bumps, no hives. No microscopic organisms.  And I don't think fibers from materials I wear are getting into my hair folicals. I don't think dust mites or any other mites are on me. I feel like things are biting, or crawling or stabbing like little needles in my skin and sometimes it hurts more than other little irritations and the itching is unbearable! I put lotion on and it feels worse sometimes! I heard other people with this and they don't have any relief! This is horrible. Is it a vitamin deficiency, or is my liver or kidneys not working right? Does drinking alcohol make things worse? I need to know if any of you have any of the itching when you drink alcohol or if you get frequent U.T.I. maybe something is wrong with our main filtering organs even though some of you had them checked. Are maybe there's a thyroid disfunction. Some doctos misdiagnose or say they don't see anything wrong but there may be and you may need to see other doctors. I know we aren't crazy! Lol
I have had this problem of itching all over my body for almost 7 years. I have only been able to make it bearable with Zyrtec every, and I mean EVERY day. I take a whole pill by 5pm. The drowsy period hits me about 10pm so I can sleep well and since I take the pill early on in the evening, I am not groggy in the morning. My problem is...the Zyrtec has worked so well and for so long, it isn't working as well anymore. I now am taking it as well as 1/2 of an Allegra in the morning and at this moment - 5 hours after the Zyrtec, I am itching itching. I for a long time have thought my allergy was that I am allergic to my own hair. If a loose hair slides down my back or chest it actually burns my skin and when I pull it off it welts the skin as well. I have heard the very itchiness is also a sign of some cancers. Anyone know anything about that?
I mix 50/50 vasiline intensive care and witchhazel
I have had this itching for years.   I cannot sit still.  Even my eyebrows itch.  And I cannot sleep with my husband because of the constant movement to scratch each prick that seems like a dirty trick by someone trying to drive me crazy.   Fatigue makes it worse and evenings are torture.    I was diagnosed with MS 25 years ago, but have been in remission for most of that time and am on no drugs.   Maybe this is a factor.   I did have an abnormal spinal fluid test.     I have so much sympathy for all of you.   I'm sorry I cannot offer any insight or help but as I lie here squirming and itching I am thinking of you and praying that someone will discover something that can help us.  
Yes.   I have had this terrible itching for years and now that I am older I have somewhat severe joint pain and several areas of my back is VERY tender to touch but feels better if I massage the area thru the pain.  My mother has RA so I suppose that is heriditary as well.
I have taken the generic form of claritin along with the prescription med omeprazole 20 mg.  But believe u me, when the deep-traveling -burning itch gets going, nothing short of being comotose will stop the pain.  After ripping my skin to shreds one night, I desperately grabbed the blue gel icy hot/ mineral ice topical analgesic and literally slathered it all over my arms, legs, tummy and neck.  The burning from this beat out the burning from my scratches so they called a truce- settled down & I was able to think clearly again and finally settle down and go to sleep. I've itched when I get sleepy all my life, but the older I get, the worse it gets.  Now it's not just at night but at any time.  My body looks like a war zone! Im going to try some of the other suggested "cures" others posted...what do I have 2 lose?
Well, I seems this is way more common that I thought...sigh. For me, I delveloped a sudden itch with no signs of anything on my entire lower body and inbetween my fingers about a week and a half after I had a small parotid tumor (benign) removed from my parotid glad. Its been so severe and painful at one point I literally jumped up and down to distract from it. I have found that Zrytec seems to help and last about 48 hours for one pill. Dermotologist seems to think its neurological but right now I feel they are just guessing and have no idea truly what it is. I read soo much about things that are truly serious that could cause it. I just started taking a medicine thats for neurological disorders but they have yet to give me a blood test.  SHould they test my blood first and if so what should they test for?  I have never had this itch before in my life and it seems to coincidental that it started shortly after surgery.
Ah Casi how horrible for you, have you yet had any relief from the itchiness?
A facebook page has been created for people to come together and discuss their symptoms to try and find a possible solution. Search

Fightthebug Fightthebug *or* Bugedout thugbugs
Gudnoon,i have itching all over my body the doctor gave me ebastel,glotrizine,calamine lotion,and daktarin powder,gave me also one injection for allergy it gone for 15days,but come back again and it much worst.what should i do.please help.thank you.
hi how r u same problem with me i use vitimin b complex and preton anti elergic its give me relife but now amazing thing i tell u take cocounut oil drink 2tablspon in morning and 100 gram yougrt and do masage of coconut oil your problem will be solved
I have been itching for going on 2 years with no explanations from the doctor. I am deficient in vitimin D, tests for lupus, diabetes, and full blood panel test negative. People try to tell me, dry skin, stress, I need to exfoliate in the shower, all false. I have found Claritin works to keep the itching at a minimum but if I miss a day, I notice right away. I am allergic to dust mites and they are everywhere, but when I get out of the shower and I itch instantly I find it hard that it is the issue. The itch is like a burning sensation or similar to the exposure to fiberglass. Redness and sometimes small hive bumps. It seems that if I itch it makes it worse.
Just a little note to share with all who have itching without hives, rash etc. Scabies usually has some kind of outbreak in the skin.  I came to the site looking for answers and found none.  I had my bed checked for bedbugs and that was not it. After having this itching for well over a year and going to 3 different doctors and taking allergy shots I was finally diagnosed with a rare liver disease.  It causes itching without rash. It is not Hepatitis though I understand it can also cause itching.  Also kidney problems can cause this.  Have the doctors check EVERYTHING.  I was about going nuts with this.  I am still itching, btw, but I use Sarna lotion and take a more powerful anti itch med now.  Lyrica also helps if it gets crazy.
Have your dr. check for allergies.  But if it is not that have them check for liver or kidney disease which can cause this.  It was a liver disease for me that was not Hepatitis.

You post made me emotional.  I was laughing and crying at the same time.  My daughter who is about to turn 13 has been plagued for the past several months with extreme itching.  So has eczema which is located on her wrists, back of elbows, ankles, hands and feet.  However there is no visible rash elsewhere and the itching is worse in the early morning and night.  She also doesnt sleep and itches all night long. She has been out of school for a month now.  We went to see the doctor and they said it wasnt eczema due to no visible rashes and there maybe a psychological component.  I told the doctor that I am not opposed to seeing a psychiatrist but her symptoms are very real.  Her face and other parts are her body are very inflammed and she is very itchy.  We are trying everything, a restricted diet, hydroxyazine, steriod creams, herbal supplements.....you name it.  The doctor basically said she has no rash, so I will research her a psychiatrist.  I am happy to see that my daughter is not alone and this is a real condition.  I am calling it eczema but I told the Doctor forgive me and tell me what the diagnosis is.  She said she didnt know.  We need help and support.  I will pray for you and everyone affected by this disease.
Did allergy medicines help with this?  Zyrtec works for me but wears off in 36-48 hours and itching is right back.
No they dont.  She takes anthihistamines and was just prescribed some natural antihistamines as well.  She has a high IGE after being tested....lots of environmental things and sensitivities to some foods.  So we are doing the elimination diet.  I am hoping that once the antihistamines get into her system it will help to block the itch.
I am having the same problem...I have been taking benadryl but it barely work's I don't have a rach either but I have scrached so much that I have made sore's....It's all day long and it drive's me crazy..I hope we noth find out how to get rid of it..
Hi Casi2, I have the same as you. The itch might be my palm, it'll stop later it could be my whole back, later the top of me feet, later my neck and on and on but the lotion you mentioned works for me. I've started taking my high blood pressure rates today to see if that has changed, I'll monitor it 3 times a day to see if that changes. Sometimes my skelp will drive me crazy. No rashes, no changes in my skin color. I do get hot easily. I do prefer to keep the house cold. No one else in my house has any simptoms. I've raided my bed and vacummed it. It started about 2 weeks ago, had it spuratically over the years, not as bad as it has been lately. Take care
Hello i'm    Manny                                                                                                                         Im 17yrs old and  I have this uncontrollable itching that i can't explain.It attacks me at random times all over.Every docter thinks its dry-skin but its coming from within.Like a all of you have said it comes when i get start to get hot. I was forced to quit all sports and give up my love of running which i recently just earned a trophie in and now i might have to drop my carpentry classes and give up this career choice of mine because I'm itching everytime i try to participate.I can't play with my brother and sister, be active in any type of way or even be in a relationship because either i start itching all over randomly or i can't focus on anything else because i'm thinking about my next itch.I have been laughed at over this, cried over this and tortured bi this.My life may not be perfect but it good to know that i'm not alone.I try those tips.Thank you guys.
With regard to your itching does it stop during the summer months and get worse in the winter??
What is the name of your liver disease??
All of what you said is true for me, do you have sleep apnea or any sleep disorder or vitamin D defficiancy?
I am 45 and for over two years now I have suffered from severe, unexplained itching that occurs randomly over various areas of my body. The tops of my feet, lower legs, back of my thighs, back, upper and lower arms, hands, head, groin area and even my face-especially my chin. The itching will start at any time, day or night, home or at work, awake or while asleep with no apparent pattern or reasoning. The area isn't red until I scratch or rub. I have awakened in the morning to find the tops of my feet or my lower legs bloody from scratching during the night. On several occasions I have woken up in the middle of the night with my chin itching beyond imagination. I have tried several types of lotions including hydro-cortisone cream, heavy moisturizing lotions, fragrance free, oatmeal and shea butter. I have changed soaps and detergents to fragrance-free, hypoallergenic. I try to keep the groin area dry with baby-powder. My wife jokes that we should buy stock in hydro-cortisone cream and baby-powder. Lately I have started colloidal oatmeal baths and this seems to relieve the itching for about two to three days. I do take very hot showers which inflame the itching but after I get out, dry off, 'lube up' an 'powder down' it subsides.

My itching starting with my eyes-lids. I had noticed that the lining of my eye-lids would swell up as if they had been injected with fluid. They itched profusely and when I rubbed them it only made it worse. The itching began to spread across the bridge of my nose and across my fore-head. I had gone to optometrist to renew my subscription and I told him about the issue. He prescribed a very expensive antibiotic salve that had to be special ordered by my pharmacist. I followed the instructions and the swelling of the eyelids went away and has not been back since. However, the itching continued and (I am not sure but) I believe that what ever it was has now spread across my entire body. Again there is no redness or rash associated with the itching (unless I scratch or rub it) and it occurs randomly.

My long-time family doctor has changed my medication (cholesterol), took me off the medication for a period of 90 days both of which have proven to not be the cause. He has ran blood tests but found nothing. Last week he referred me to an allergist. I will be going for tests next week. I will try to follow up on this post with the results.

the same thing is happening to me all over my body i have lots of scabs and scares that i cant seem to get rid of its been like this for 5 years i itch all throughout the day but it get worse at night to the point where i cry i just want it to stop and for my body to go back to the way it was clear and not itching im crying now cause it hurts me what can i do
I have all the same symptoms as most of the people on here. No lumps or bumps, uncontrollable itching, up for hours, like burning tiny needles all over my body and keeping cool is the only thing that helps.
After hours and endless searches on google and a few medical books it looks like scabies is the closest answer. I've got so bad that I am trying to rip of flash with my hands and using a blunted pen knife to scratch with. So I am going to my doctors first thing tomorrow morning to see what can be done.
do you drink it? or apply it
and how often - my itching started at my vagina and i have had candida before so it seem possible
I have had an uncontrollable itch on my arms, stomach, waist, back and breasts for over four years now. My itch comes for about two months at a time, usually in the winter time. I have been to allergists, dermatologists, and my primary physician. No one has been able to help me. I am now taking zyrtec to sleep at night. The itch is not contagious. No rash or bumps present. It is extremely odd and very annoying. I've had several blood tests and they all come back perfect. I've also had allergy tests done and am not allergic to anything. Lotions or any topicals aggravate the itch more. Heat also makes it worse. If anyone finds a good remedy to control the itch please let me know. Thank you!
I've had this for 16 years.  My only relief is 145 degree hot water.  I even scratched while i was sedated for an appendectomy.  I was unconscious, and they still had to strap my arm down.  Yes, its hell on relationships.  Doctors hear the word itch, write an antihistamine prescription, and tell you to change your soaps and your diet.  If that does not work, they assume its "psychological".  Personally, I think its genetic; but scientists just began to explore this possibility about 6 years ago.  Anyway, I was curious, at what age did your itching begin (mine started at age 22)?  
Hey AYor what do you mean you're suicidal?  I often have these internal rashes and I look like an idiot scratching and scratching! II scratch at nights, when I'm full of dirt, and when it's hot!  I have to sleep with a fan on even at night! I feel dumb like if noone knows what I go through.  I look like a dog trying to scratch off the mytes and I can relate to that happy mutt after he's scratched and scratched on some nice cool grass!  That's how serious I get!  I don't want you to commit suicide.  God loves you and we can somehow, get through this or at least keep living counting other blessings. I hope you find someone who has other issues with THEMSELVES so you can feel fine.  God bless.
I have the same thing as your son I didnot not go to the doctor yet but I'm go some time this week
i to suffer with this crazy itch all over i lost my job because i couldn't sleep itching all night when i told my granny she said soak in a tub with oatmeal (oats in cheesecloth or pantyhose,, two cups of milk and raw honey before bed n you will sleep like a baby n it does work however during the day i still itch  
Try store bought Lemon Juice or real Lemons even. Nothing fancy, just rub your body over the areas that you itch. I'm not sure if this is a full fix, but it just may help you.
You should have you thorough including a biopsy.  I was told that a lot when I was in my late teens, but the blood work was always OK.. A biopsy was done and it was full of cancer.  It was contained and I didn't have to have chemo or anything I was 24.  I take the thyroid replacement pills and I m nearly 60, with no problems.  I do have an allergic reaction to iodine, even if you just wipe a swob of it I will welt up.  I always have to tell the doctor or nurse, there are other option.  They say that with the above conditions that you are usually allergic to sea food (prawns, and shellfish) but I am not,  So have it looked at push for a biopsy if the blood work is good.  The longer you leave it further it can spread.  Good luck
I have had this problem for a few years now unexplained itching no rash or nothing i take a bath rub lotion take deep breaths and relax.I think its just poor blood circulation as a teen i noticed it after walking home in the cold i started to icth im 30 now and its worse but relaxing and massage help with circulation try focusing on what helps your blood circulate it does help me stop itching if i cover my skin completely relax and massage my skin.I pray we all get some relief.....This is crazy
Viewing 401-600 comments: