DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
Extreme Itching all over body w/NO rash, welts or hives.
Member Comments (713)
by pob, Apr 30, 2008
my itch started a week ago and is so bad ive scratched myself raw loads of little sores etc . tried usual stuff eg. antihystamines , cream soapless washes but to no avail been on l-arganine and l-carnitine for 2 months so wonder if maybe its one of them dont know any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated before i tear myself apart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by OIF_V, May 03, 2008
I have a condition where my scalp is very sensitive and itchy.  I soothe my scalp by patting my scalp constantly resulting in the breakage of my hair.  There are no signs except for a very dry scalp and when I apply any type of grease, the itchiness gets worse.  I've tried all types of shampoo's, conditoners, grease, and hair treatments, but nothing seems to work.  If you have any ideas on how to treat this please feel free to let me know.
by donkeyodie, May 03, 2008
About 10 days ago I started feeling itchy all over my skin. No outward symptoms, etc. I asked my wife if she had noticed any itchness, wondering if it was mites or some tiny bedcritters or something. She hasn't, but I've been itchy every day now for 10 days. It's maddening.

I've never been allergic or the ill type. One thing that's changed is I've alot of stress in my life dealing with a difficult teen son. It's also started to get warm, but it does that every year and I've never had this itch in 47 years. But the stress part is new, I'm usually super calm all through life.

If anyone finds a diagnosis that makes sense, or treatment, please post back here. Please.
by AppleJonnySeed, May 07, 2008
I got the same thing going on for me.. I itch all over and don't really have any outward symptoms. Just a couple little red swollen areas that I think are from scratching. Its all over my body but mostly my legs and abdomen/chest and ribs. Doesn't seem like anyone's found much of a solution to this problem. my doctor gave me atarax which helps a little bit when I'm going to sleep and some fluocinonide cream that helps a bit as well but I'm tired of taking pills that knock me out and constantly trying to rub cream all over myself, especially since neither work at all sometimes. I've found that my itching gets a lot worse when I am dehydrated and drinking plenty of water seems to help keep my itching from acting up too much. Nights are the worst though. I dont seem to be able to get more than 4 hours of sleep before the itching sets in and wakes me up. Ive been up since 4 with only 4 hours of sleep and an exam at 9. ARGG..

Anyway, I also read something about the raw food diet helping people with eczema. I know eczema is different than what most of us have but it does have to do with the skin so it may help with what we got too. I dunno though, anyone know anything about that?
by sueker, May 12, 2008
I, too, itch all over with no other symptoms.  I'm watching what I eat and thnk I've narrowed it down to msg.  There are numerous websites with information on it.  If it isn't msg I'll keep looking for answers...
by pob, May 13, 2008
pob here again..... STILL ITCHING now ive got red swollen spots all over, my itch  is worse in the morning but when i went to the doc he ruled out scabies , allergies etc anyway he's given me a prescription for extra strong antihystamines will be getting them tomorrow if they work will let everyone know but i'm not holdin my breath!!!!! oh does anyone know of an allergy to the amino acid L-ARGANINE coz i just started them. x
by jobird, May 15, 2008
I ma not sure if this is the same as what everyone else is talking about, but I started itching after tanning in a tanning bed. I have tanned multiple times before but it had been a while since my last tanning experience before I this specific occasion occurred.  I have been on a lot of different medicines. I was on Remicade when it happened the first time in Dec 06. I went tanning for ten minutes and didn't get any color. The next day my legs were itching. It was horrible, it felt like I kept getting stung over and over by thousands of bugs. I would itch it and it would get worse. No bumps or redness until after I scratched for a while then my skin would get red and occasionally white little bump or cluster of little bumps would appear. When I stopped itching it would go away. The itching was so severe and would not stop so I finally went to the dr and he gave me oral steroids for a week. It went away. A few months later I was out in the sun and had no problems, then a week after that I was out in the sun again for a few hours and I burned quickly. I got a bad burn, but never had any issues with itching. I tried a few months later to try tanning again. Sure enough I started itching really bad again. This time I waited to see if it would go away and within 5-7 days it was gone. Around Dec 07 I was taken off of Remicade because the dr's said I was rejecting it. I thought the itching may have been a symptom of this. They put me on Humira injections and the other symptoms went away but I still cannot tan without horrible itching. I have tried Benadryl, Atarax, Xyzal, Zyrtec and nothing helped. I have no physical signs like hives or rash. I have seen an allergist and have no allergies and my thyroid and blood tests were all fine. He told me to use vanicream ( a prescription lotion that does not have dyes or perfumes) to try to help with any dry skin since  I have some itching at all times. After I tan in a tanning bed the itching becomes unbearable and for the most art goes away after 7 days. It may be the meds because they are known to cause sensitivity but usually people burn easily or get rashes and I dont (I only burned that one day, but didnt itch). I was on the meds for over  year before this started. Also due to my other medical problems I am under  a lot of stress and anxiety, this could also be causing it. The Dr's have been no help with the itching, they have no idea what it is, they just say "Well then dont go tanning", but I really dont want to have to give that up as well as everything else I had to stop due to my auto immune disease (Ulcerative Colitis). Tanning is relaxing to me and it wasnt like I tanned all the time but it was nice to tan during the winter when it was so cold and also to have a base tan so I didnt burn while on vacation.
by Pum, May 16, 2008
I also have started having this, mainly in the scalp and lower legs. Mine is always at the same time of year (spring and late autumn) so I have concluded it is an allergy to pollen. Like a hayfever of the skin. Hats drive me crazy.

I found if I wet my hair every day and keep it wet, the itching is much less. I tie it up so it doesn't completely dry all day. Then wet it again before bed. Works for me.

Good luck to you all.