Extreme Itching all over body w/NO rash, welts or hives.

I've recently been diagnosed with Urticaria. My doctor says I fall into the 99.9% of the people who have it without any signs. My itchiness has been getting progessively worse for the past few years. I'd say almost 3 yrs now. It's to the point where I can't even engage in intercourse with my partner, go shopping or even go out in the sun. I keep hearing and reading how Urticaria, usually has signs on the skin surface but I don't, except for the really bad itchy feeling. Sometimes I question whether or not I have something else because it's really bad and it feels like I have a sudden burning rush of nails/needles stabbing my skin and I can't even move but only twitch. It's like this on a daily basis with my skin, whenever my body temperatue goes up. I feel like my body's thermostat is broken and I'm constantly overheating. I've been taking Claritin and Benadryl but that doesn't seem to help at all. My doctor also gave me a prescription medicine called Atarax, which only makes me drowsy and doesn't help the itchy feeling. Any suggestions? Btw, I've taken blood tests to see if there is anything wrong but everything came out fine. =/

I have severe itchy skin as well.  It occurs on my calves.  It comes and goes.  I have no rash, have not started using any new products, and have no known allergies.  It started when I lived in CA  ago and I have reecently moved to SC and it has continued since I have moved here.  

I cames across this information and it seems relevant so I thought I would pass it on.

Warmest Regards to all,
Lisa

Neurodermatitis (lichen simplex chronicus)
From MayoClinic.com
Special to CNN.com

Introduction

Neurodermatitis — also known as lichen simplex chronicus — is a stubborn skin condition characterized by chronic itching and scratching. Eventually, the affected skin becomes thick and leathery.

Neurodermatitis isn't serious — but breaking the itch-scratch cycle can be challenging. Successful treatment depends on identifying and eliminating factors that may be aggravating the problem. Over-the-counter and prescription creams can help. Once the scratching stops, it can take months for the skin to return to normal.

Signs and symptoms

The primary symptom of neurodermatitis is itchy skin — often on the neck, wrist, forearm, thigh or ankle. Sometimes neurodermatitis affects genital areas, such as the vulva or scrotum.

The itchiness tends to come and go. It may be most noticeable when you're at rest — watching TV or sleeping, for example — and disappear when you're active. Anxiety or stress can make the itchiness worse. Eventually you may scratch simply out of habit.

The affected patches of skin often have a leathery or scaly texture. The patches may be raw, red or darker than the rest of your skin.

Causes

The exact cause of neurodermatitis isn't known. Sometimes neurodermatitis begins with something that simply rubs or irritates the skin, such as tight clothing or a bug bite. As you rub or scratch the area, it gets itchier. The more you scratch, the more it itches.

In other cases, neurodermatitis is associated with other skin conditions — such as dry skin, eczema or psoriasis. Stress and anxiety can trigger itching, too. Allergies don't seem to be a factor.

Risk factors

Neurodermatitis is most common between ages 30 and 50. Women are affected more often than men. You're more likely to develop neurodermatitis if you have a personal or family history of eczema, psoriasis or similar skin conditions.

When to seek medical advice

Consult your doctor if you notice changes in your skin or if you catch yourself repeatedly scratching the same patch of skin.

Screening and diagnosis

Diagnosis is typically based on your skin's appearance and a history of itching and scratching. A tissue sample (biopsy) can be examined to confirm the diagnosis. Blood tests or other lab studies may be done as well.

Complications

Persistent scratching can lead to a bacterial skin infection and permanent scars or changes in skin color.

Treatment

To stop the stubborn itch-scratch cycle, you must stop scratching the affected area. It's bound to be tough, but you can do it. And your doctor can help.

Try an over-the-counter or prescription cream. Over-the-counter hydrocortisone creams or prescription steroid creams can help ease itching and inflammation. Soaps or lotions containing coal tar may be helpful, too.
Try other types of medication. Sometimes antihistamines help stop itching. In other cases, steroids may be injected directly into the affected area to reduce itching. Antidepressants or anti-anxiety medications are helpful for some people. If you develop a bacterial infection in the rash, your doctor may prescribe an antibiotic lotion or oral antibiotics.
Cover the affected area. Bandages or dressings can help protect the affected area. This may be especially important if you scratch during your sleep.
Avoid things that increase itching. Limit your time in the tub or shower. Bathe in warm — not hot — water. Use gentle cleansers or gels with added moisturizer. Gently pat your skin dry. Use plenty of moisturizer.
Keep stress under control. Stress and anxiety can trigger itching.
Consider counseling. A counselor can help you learn how your emotions and behaviors can fuel — or prevent — itching and scratching
Cholinergic urticaria is a subcategory of physical urticaria (aka hives) that is a skin rash brought on by a hypersensitive reaction to body heat. Symptoms follow any stimulus to sweat such as exercise (sometimes called exercise-induced urticaria), heat from the sun (which could also indicate solar urticaria), saunas, hot showers (reaction to water can also indicate water urticaria), spicy foods which may cause an increase in body temperature or even stress due to blushing or anger. Some people only have symptoms during the winter months where their body temperature rises when it is unacclimatized to heat.
The affected area will often feel warm and can be extremely itchy or exhibit a burning sensation. This can be compounded since many people with cholinergic urticaria also have pressure urticaria, in which pressure on the skin causes a reaction.
The rash typically develops within a few minutes of a rise in body temperature but can take longer to appear visibly on the skin.
Cholinergic urticaria can be very difficult to treat.Since an attack can often be felt coming on, it can sometimes be halted by rapid cooling, such as applying cold water or an ice pack to the skin.
Drug treatment is typically in the form of antihistamines such as loratadine (Claritin), hydroxyzine, cetirizine and other H1 receptor antagonists.
As the disease may be physiological in origin, psychological treatments such as stress management can sometimes lessen severity and occurrence. Additionally, methods similar to psychological pain management can be used to shift focus away from the discomfort and itchiness during an attack.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholinergic_urticaria

Well, I found out that the reason for my itch was thyroid disease. It's called cold Urticaria. Thyroid disease can cause sensitivity to cold or hot. In our case, it's cold. So, get a blood test, and make an appointment with the endocrinologist.
Hello, I have suffered from extreme all over itching for almost ten years now.  The onstart came after a sexual encounter, but also after an extreme amount of stress.  I had to fly the very next day and, at that time, I hated to fly.  I had never been on a smaller plane and that was what pulled up to the gate.  I literally freaked...but flew anyway.  After I reached my destination, my thighs started itching like crazy and wouldn't stop.  I first thought it might be scabies, but it wasn't.  Over the next few months the itching slowly spread all over my body and I itched for 24 hours straight.  I was so sleep deprived and void of anything pleasurable in life.  I went to six or seven doctors who had no REAL solution for me.  Like most of you, I tried everything...Antihistamines, Atarax, Cortisone creams, Vitamin B12 shots, tons of supplements in general, shaving my diet back to almost nothing, exercise, therapy, wellbutrin, Atavan, Cipro...and the list goes on.  I did go to an herbal doctor who had me taking about 40 pills a day.  WIthin six months, I had the itching down to one arm.  It has  been that way ever since, which flare ups around my neck area.  I can't sleep on that arm because if I put pressure on it, it itches.  The sensation around my neck area is more of a burning one.  I've lost 150lbs, and I continue to take supplements...just not to that degree.  I am amidst another flare up and I believe it is due to a bout of extreme stress in my life again.  I got sick of going to doctors and getting no relief.  If one more doctor gave me a perscription for a topical cream I was going to scream.  It has been at least five years since I have gone for help, and I am thinking of trying it again.  I live in a town that has two top hospital schools and I am hoping they can help.  Thank you all for posting... I couldn't find these stories on the web ten years ago when I started.  I hate that all of you suffer, but I do find it comforting knowing that I am not a complete freak of nature!!  I will keep you updated!  Please keep sharing your stories....updates...or whatever!!
Hi, I lived in a tropical country all my life, and when I reached America, which is 2 years now, I realize one same part of my body (chest and tummy) gets itchy with each autumn season.  This is the second autumn season that I lived here in the US. This makes me think it is my body's reaction to cold weather that gives me this itch.  I have used almost all kinds of medication mentioned in this forum to no avail.  I can only try not to scratch it to reduce local infection, as scratching will make your itch spread wider from where it is.  And to prevent this, first, I clean up the itchy part of my body, then wet it (not rub) using my palm with food grade hydrogen peroxide.  Let it dry, then wet it with apple juice. It alleviates itch for 30 mins to 1 hour, and helps you avoid scratching it.  Hope this helps!
i been takin nyquil every night for 3 years then i stoped. after a couple days not taking it i started too itch all over. am i addicted to nyquil because it went away when i started taking it again?
I have had itchy skin for about 2 weeks now. it started with my calf muscles and it stopped and now its my stomach, under the breast, lower stomach, my breast, pelvic, sides of my rib cage, all of my back arm pits, arms every once in awhile and at night my scalp. I have no rash but i scratch so hard it becomes red and painful. i keep reading that it could be so many different things. i have no idea what to do. it drives me crazy i cant even sleep considering im typing this at 3:11 in the morning. i have tried all kinds of lotions, havent changed soaps or anything. people keep saying its dry skin but i can tell when my skin is dry and its not...
Someone PLEASE HELP!!!!
Court
I do not go to regular doctors and haven't taken prescription medicine for 30 years, but am going to find a naturapath Doctor and have my hormones testesd.  I am 58 and post menapause and the itching stated at menapause. Insane all over body itch in my blood. Like  a tickle to an intense deep zing that you want to scratch till the skin gets so hot and the itch turns to pain.  Hot hot filtered shower water brings the itch to a creshendo that allows me to calm down a little. I am currently making and drinking collodial silver water with the Dr Beck Zapper.  And am zapping my blood at my wrists.  Your body holds 8 quarts of blood and it passes though your veins every 8-10 minutes.  This itch is viral and is has no symptoms in 99.9% of the people.  Then there is the .1% of us who are sensitive to energy and can actually feel it wisping through the blood.  Getting hot and weather changes affect it.  As well as sugar.  I think it feeds on sugar and while flour products.  I am at day one of zapping.  It stopped it completely for a few hours.  Then it came back with a vengence.  I will not let this beat me.   I Also get some relief from accupuncture and am on a liver-gallblader diet that is no sugar and mostly cooling veggies, fruits, and grains.  (some fish & chicken).
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE and it is on the INTERNET.
Peace.
Help! I can't take the itching any longer, I swear! I have tried every type of cream, lotion, prescription and otherwise. Abntibiotics and Benadryl have failed me.  Nothing helps! I am digging myself raw. No rash, but sometimes a little pink tiny dots show after scratching a while. Of course everyone's answer seems to be to not scratch it. It's a circle that makes you scrath and then the itch gets worse and then you scratch worse. Then come bruises along with the scratch marks. Little blood spots appear from the scratching.  
A friend of mind came over today that Ihaven't seen for a while and guess what? She has it too. The dermatologistshe saw told her it's a virus. He had seen at least 20 people with it and it's mostly been in people with immune defficiencies.
Cool showers sooth the skin to some extent and keeping the skin covered in heavy layers of lotions immediately afetr getting out of the shower while the skinis still damp.  Some of the Eucerin lotions do help to some extent. They may not be a cure all, but can keep you from the suicidal scratching. Of course you have to do it all again at night.
This must stop soon. IT's been like thisa for me for a couple months and my nerves are on edge so bad.  I'm suprised my dogs even like me right now. Now I know how dogs feel with fleas! What can be done? How does anyone keep from going crazy?
I'am 18 now and i have had this same problem for about 4 or 5 months now. I have this horrible itchy feeling under my skin i can't do anything about every time i get hot. The hotter i get the worst the itch.
(some of the things i have done to test it)
1. If i stand in a hot shower the itches flare up insane
2. turn the hot air in my car. by far the worst itches
3. jog in a hoody. i had to take the hoody of because the itches were so bad.

At first i thought this was because i had smoked alot of weed in my youth but my friends never got the sympton at all.

the only decent cure i can get is to keep as cold as possible. i no longer take hot showers it's mostly cold water because of the itches.

If anyone finds a good solution plz post them here.
This itch... Me too. What is going on here!? I got mine from my girlfriend. I remember she complained of the same itch. I thought nothing of it... Then a few weeks later, I got it too. Her new boyfriend has caught the itch as well. I wake up because of extreme itchiness all over. It is driving me insane! Every now and then will appear red patchy dots that are all close together in an unparticular area like a rash. That will fade in about 5 days or so and maybe appear somewhere else later. Other than that there are no visible symptoms where the itchiness is. I've had mine now for about a month and it only seems to be getting worse. The doctor says try some thick lotion like body butter as it is a dry season. Ha!!!!! Dry skin has nothing to do with it.
I too have been itching like crazy!!  I feel the same as most of you.  My scalp,  my BACK, OMG!!!!  It is absolutely maddening!!  I constantly clean, feeling that its dust or something!!   (It begins messing with your mind, doesn't it, lol).  And many will look at you like your crazy.  Im telling you, if this doesnt stop, I WILL BE!!
I think I am going to go with the detox and cleanse and start drinking lots of water, which,, I admit, I dont do enough of!  Im almost 47 and have started entering menopause, so yes, it is possible it could be an imbalance of hormones!!!  Ill let you guys know what happens with this!!
Good luck to everyone!!  Stay Cool!!!

anotheritchywoman
I'ts a bit relieving to see that others suffer from so much itching like i do. I am 32 yrs old and it all started about a year ago. it slowly progressed from the inside of my elbows (whre the crease is) then on both arms. then behind my knees and calves. i scratch so severely until i bleed. it has caused the skin in the areas that i scratch alot become scabby and leathery. (gross i know) then on my back i have these tiny patches of raised skin that feels scabby and of course it itches to the point of insanity like the rest of my body. Ive been to the Dr many times. got treated for scabies, it wasnt that. got put on anit-fungal medications. it helped while i was on it but came right back after. lots of perscription creams and ointments that do nothing. i pop benadryls like crazy but doesnt do much. i was recently on tetracycline for 10 days for a skin infection that i got from itching too much. but i still continue to itch, its starting to make me self concsious and i also hate having to constantly scratch myself, bc if i dont ill go insane. and its kind of embarrasing to try and control that when I'm out in public. I too myself go hide in the bathroom at times and just scratch away.  alot of times i try and scratch hard enough so it bleeds and then hurts. id rather take that pain then having the insanity of itching that no one around me really understands what im going through. i just dont know what to do anymore,, i feel like this is starting to take control of my life. =(
Awwwwww!!!...I feel you hon!  Im at my wits end!!..I feel like i dont want to go around people for fear Im going to give them whatever the hell this is!!
I dont know what to do ..........its  crazy that so many people are suffering from what ever this is and yet..we're all baffled ...........
Yes, I too am suffering from this invisible itch. Last night I spent 4 hours scratching the inside of my arms and covering them in moisterising cream in order to try and get relief............but no. I was told by a doctor i visited about 5 years ago that when certain people go in the sun, there body's produce a chemical, and in my case I produce too much of the chemical which causes the irritation. I also get the same problem occuring when my body temperature increases....bit like prickly heat but 100 times worse. My affected areas are inner arms, shoulders, upper back and forearms and back of neck. I will continue to try and find answers, and if i find anything out will post my findings. Good luck fellow scratchers.
I've been up for an hour scratching like mad, as I have every morning for the last few weeks so thought I'd search the internet for some answers.  I had no idea so many people had the same problem, or that no one had any clue how to get rid of it.  The inside of my legs is the worst area, with the inside of my forearms coming a close second.  I thought of a dreaded STI at first, but bizzarly my pubic area is one of few placese left unaffected???  I guess its off to the docs then... I'll let you know if I come accross anything that helps.  "Scratch where it itches!"
I itch also, but mine is welts. It starts out as a normal itch then it develops into a red swollen welts on my wrists, fingers, toes, bottom of my feet even the back of my neck and head. I itch until I want to scream! I went to the DR. and he said it was Ecezema and prescribed me Triamcinolone Acetonide Ointment and it did not work. I went to WalmART and got AVEENA Calamine & Pramoxine Anti-Itch Cream. to my relief it worked and OMG I can finally relax for a min until another breakout. I also got the AVEENA bath crystals. Which has Colloidial  Oatmeal. I am relieved for these products. Soak in the bath water with this product and the welts and itchyness will be relieved. My Dr told me this is something that will n ever go away, there is no treatment for it but the itchyness, burning sensation and the redness, will go temporaryily be relieved. I am so distressed over this. My life is slowing down because of it. I had to quit Nursing school because Water also effects it. My Dr said to wear gloves but I still have to wash my hands. Water causes it also. Our watrer in Riverside california is not filtered and it is toxic and My Dr said that could be another reason for the itchyness. Good luck to all I hope I have helped you...
Hi all, I can relate to many of you. I've had a problem with itching for years. I use Zyrtec to alleviate it so I can sleep & carry on with a normal existence; I don't know what I would do without it. The itching started about 5-6 years ago. I had been on low-carb diet eating NO grains at all. I went off the diet eventually and as I slowly re-introduced breads and grains ( problaby other foods too but grains & breads the biggest thing I had been eliminatiing on the diet) into my system, I started getting itchy. LIke all of a sudden, I would have an itching spot on a few fingers or maybe the palm of my hand. Then as the weeks went by I had it on my feet, between the toes. It started out as bad itching here & there & became full-blown keeping me up half the night. It was so bad I wanted to take a
metal brush to my feet. Over time I was getting the itching on my scalp then different areas legs etc. I had allergy testing that was inconclusive; I dont know what happened but both the dummy test and the allergen pricks were large red lumps on my arm. They said it could be grains but that it could also be something in the way the grains are prepared. That could be anything. The doctor added that I may never find out what is causing it. He prescribed Zyrtec which was a god-send. I believe the itching was brought on due to the grains being eaten again. When I try to give them up again the itching becomes a little less but I have not been able to stay off of every food / grains & wheat for more than a couple of weeks.

Now here it is 5-6 years of itching & trying to control it but nothing simple makes it go away. Over the last 2 weeks it has gotten out of control. Where I was taking Zyrtec every-other day, I now have been woken up at 2 or 3am going crazy & have to take it in-between those days as well. The itching is more spread over the larger part of my body too, not concentrated so much on just the hands & feet. So I went over everything that I had done differently lately. I did start using a new shampoo & after some research found that it contains a highly skin irritating ingredient called Quaternium 15, the one in my new shampoo is Quaternium 26 but I imagine its related. The new shampoo also contains a wheat protien, could that be irritating as well?  I've stopped using the shampoo...

I'm just guessing here like everyone else.
I know you're reading & thinking, if I know really believe that wheat is causing the regular itching I have had all these years. All I can say is try to NOT eat every food wtih wheat or some kind of grain in it...it's EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to maintain that type of diet.

Maybe some day these itching dilemma's of ours will be resolved.
I can only hope. Puff

I've just started having unexplained body itching a week ago I believe. It drives me INSANE. Because when I have to scratch, I NEED to. I hate having to go to college and be in the classroom having to scratch. I scratch all day and night, and I thought it was because I don't bathe too often (not every single day, but every other day). But even AFTER I bathe I have to itch like crazy. I'm starting to get really worried :(
i have the exact situation for 5 years and no doctor ( from 6) could identify my problem ( everyone of them diagnosed my situation completely different from the other)  and i still have it but last year my sister came Venezuela who has the same situation and a doctor that she met by chance gave here this mids it is a mix of a lotion called Hidrebet(3/4) and dermovite(1/4)  if you don't found Hidrebet you can use any lotion without prefum(1/2) , Uriaderm (1/4) and Dermovite  after taking a shower dry your body gently  put  it where you are itchy 2 times a day for a week thin once a day for another week too thin you do so when needed , for me now it's once a week and it's working but it's not a 100% cure you have to  use it always.... i no that i'm no doctor but you can ask yours about.....