Extreme Itching all over body w/NO rash, welts or hives.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Viewing 601-721 comments:
I have had this problem for a few years now unexplained itching no rash or nothing i take a bath rub lotion take deep breaths and relax.I think its just poor blood circulation as a teen i noticed it after walking home in the cold i started to icth im 30 now and its worse but relaxing and massage help with circulation try focusing on what helps your blood circulate it does help me stop itching if i cover my skin completely relax and massage my skin.I pray we all get some relief.....This is crazy
My all-over underskin itching started about 27 years ago (there was absolutely no rash but hives and whelps would pop up everywhere that I scratched). Shortly after the itching and hives and whelps began, I developed severe adult onset asthma. I suffered through chronic asthma, bronchitis, itching with hospitalization after hospitalization and Ochner's care. In 1998, after a 13 year bout with these problems, and trying to figure out what on earth had changed in my life that could have brought on these symptoms, it dawned on me that I had been ingesting and had become addicted to Aspertame usage -- I was drinking multiple diet sodas daily, I was cooking and baking with Equal sweetener.  Anything that had aspertame in it to reduce calorie intake, I was buying and ingesting! At that time, I quit drinking the sodas and quit ingesting Equal and aspertame all together.  Shortly after that, I began weaning myself off of the daily 7 medications (including four inhalers) prescribed to me to try to keep my asthma from killing me.  About six months after discontinuing the Equal and aspertame, I was completely off of all asthma meds!  HOWEVER, the itching has continued even up to today. I itch under the skin from my head to my toes. Sometimes it becomes almost unbearable, bringing me to tears.  Hot showers (I mean REALLY hot showerss) relieve the itching temporarily but I have to bathe myself in lotions and creams each morning (I cannot sleep with lotions on my skin at night) to avoid my skin drying.  There are times that my feet itch so badly, I have to draw a small tub of hot water and just sit with my feet in it until the itching ceases. This morning, I awoke with severe itching of my hands and between my fingers.  I rubbed the skin (not deliberately but in desperation) off between my right forefinger and middle finger.  Now I will have to but an antibiotic cream on it. As always, I have no rash, and whelps and hives are now very, very rare, and I have no flaking or any type of skin appearance change.  Just under-skin itching that is not relieved by scratching. I do have almost constant itching in my external genital and rectal area (embarrassing, but I feel it important to point this out in this forum). I have discussed this with my doctor, but my statements are generally ignored and questions are met with looks of not understanding.  It can be frustrating.  Since there is no rash or skin problem I don't really think doctors know what to suggest other than antihistamines which I don't want to start taking.  
It is my firm belief that this is a nerve ending problem.  I am not sure what, if anything, can be done about this.  I don't take antihistamines but am considering beginning to take Zyrtec or Allegra, after reading the comments on this forum, to see if these will help. I am just not a big fan of taking medications unless I need them to stay alive, as I did all of those asthma meds.  I just hope that one day, the medical scientists and researchers and even doctors will realize that this is a severe problem for those of us who suffer and will attempt to help us more than they do.
Hi! I have the same problem; however, learned through someone else how to fix the problem. First: STAY AWAY from benedrly and other products that contain antihistamines. I, like you, used benadryl and other things thinking it was my allergies. Second: Drink MORE WATER. Thats it. Watch how the itching goes away. I promise you this will work. I break out itching like a tweeker all the time and then realize that I haven't had enough water. Please try this. Dont waste money or time seeing a doctor. Water will cure you.
My 17 uear old son had very high IGE level with terrible itching last summer. Tried multiple allergy pills at high doses without success.  He now gets monthly Xolair injections from doctor specializing in allergies and asthma.  He no longer needs any allergy pills (after 13 years of taking zytec twice a day) and is doing great.
it's an allergy, most likely a chemical induced. Read TILT by claudia Miller, get a delayed chemical testing, it's a cycle, it takes up to two weeks for hives to show up and dr's do not test for delayed reactions. Stop taking dyes, stop ingesting nasty chemicals, stay off meat --they wll go away and then you can reintroduced things back in and figure out what does it
Hi all -i had the same problem 2 mouths ago and i discovered something unbelievable , it was from Aspartam  !!
and here some Aspartame Side Effects according to  Lendon Smith, M.D.
-
Skin and Allergies
itching without a rash
lip and mouth reactions
hives
aggravated respiratory allergies such as asthma

for more details here the link :
http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html
...Btw !! maybe you dont use it directly but somehow you got it from chewing gums and concentrated milk !
i feel good now disconnecting all products containing Aspartam and drinking toomuch water , no need for medicament  !

Aspartame is the common denominator for over 92 different health symptoms at the root of modern disease. The Aspartame Detoxification Program demonstrates the most effective way to reverse disease symptoms is removing the underlying cause - aspartame.

I counsel aspartame victims worldwide and have witnessed nine out of 10 clients restore their health by following the Aspartame Detoxification Program. Begin with detoxifying your body of all residual chemical toxins from aspartame's chemical make up of phenylalanine, aspartic acid and methanol and their toxic by-products, and see if any adverse health symptoms remain. Try the Aspartame Detoxification Program, and within 30 days your symptoms should disappear.

Steps:

Remove all sugar-free products with aspartame from your diet.
    Learn to 'read' your body. Begin recording any health changes.
    Get a hair analysis.
    Be happy with yourself.
    Detoxify.
    Restore depleted nutrients.
    Exercise and get plenty of rest.
    Eat 75% raw foods at every meal.
    Drink water, water, water.
    Get control of your life.
I can sympathize with all of you. My itching started about 6 months ago and nothing helps it. I agree with everything you said and I think it's about time the doctors start to take this seriously. Maybe a doctor will get the itch and understand what we are going thru. I also have numbness and tingling in my toes and I also had shingles in October that lasted 2 months and required shots of lidocaine in my spine to stop the pain. Lidocaine patches also helped. I'm also wondering if the shingles had something to do with the onset of this itch. I've written down many remedies I read here, but doubt they will help as we are all still itching. God bless you all and I pray for an anser to our itches.
Hi. My mom has been experiencing many of the symptoms that I have read on this site.  You said that you began experiencing the itching for 6 months, which is how long my mom has had the itching.  She lives in Northern Las Vegas.  What part of the U.S. do you live in?  
If you have thrush, you need to look into a diet that eliminates yeast (candida)— no alcohol, sugar, bread. If you've taken antibiotics, then repopulating the gut with beneficial bacterias (probiotics) is a must, and it should be done on a daily basis. You can pick up probiotics in the refrigerated section of a good health food store.

Also, besides diet, working with supplements that rid the body of yeast is important. I use caprylic acid, olive leaf extract and L glutamine. I've had live blood analysis done and can see it really helps rid the body of yeast.
I have Morgellons disease. The symptoms are intense itching, biting, stinging and crawling sensations on the skin which can be accompanied by rash or lesions and a host of other problems. I'm not suggesting  that everyone on this thread has this illness, (which is currently unrecognized by the current medical establishment), but I have found a way to control the symptoms using diet and supplements that may be applicable to all of you. Here are my questions and suggestion to you…

Are you eating genetically modified foods? Many will probably not even know about genetic modification, but the few studies done have shown catastrophic health consequences. If you are eating foods that are processed, have multiple ingredients, contain soy, corn, canola oil, these would be foods that have been genetically modified. Sugar, is now a genetically modified ingredient and comes from beets, yet they never give you the source of sugar ingredients on labels. Also, ingredients labeled with names like maltodextrin, fructose and any other name that doesn't describe a real food, is likely to be genetically modified or extremely bad for you. One thing research has shown is that GMOs can lead to severe histamine (allergic) reactions...itching. One poster has mentioned Aspartame which is highly dangerous and should not be in the diet.

Follow diet with detoxification of the body. A lot of juicing with organic vegetables. Food is medicine. The obvious culprits to eliminate our sugar, alcohol and carbohydrates from products like bread. I find with my own symptoms that eating sugar or bread products will cause the symptoms of itching to come back.

Yeast and fungal overgrowth in the system (Candida) is another possible source of itching. Going on an anti-candida diet with the use of supplements can knock this back (I use olive leaf extract, caprilic acid, and L-gluamine).

There is a fantastic video that I try to follow as a model for how I eat. I don't think I can post links, so Google: Tedtalk Dr. Terry Wahls. Dr. Wahls healed her MS with this diet and she was crippled in a wheelchair, so there is something to be said for food as medicine.

I have a site and you can Google: Morgellons disease awareness
You can look at the diet and pH link. At the bottom of the page there are some downloadable charts that give you the names of hidden genetically modified ingredients in food products and a chart for balancing pH which helps with itching symptoms.

The other thing I'd be curious about, is vaccinations. Has anyone noticed onset of symptoms after having a vaccination? What they are calling auto immune diseases are often triggered by vaccinations that have live viruses in them as well as other toxic ingredients. Some vaccinations contain human diploid cells (from aborted fetuses)—an ingredient that is never mentioned. Introducing a foreign DNA into the body can trigger an autoimmune reaction whereby the body reacts to a foreign invader. This is possibly linked to why genetically modified products are causing health issues. They are using foreign bacteria and viruses in genetic engineering, and these bacteria are found in the body after ingesting them.

So that's my two cents…I wish you all luck.

USA AND CANADA
Vaxes containing aborted fetal cell lines, their Rx names, and their manufacturers

****UPDATED August 14, 2007****

Varivax (CP) - Merck & Co.
Varilrix (CP) - GSK

Vaqta (Hep A) - Merck & Co.
Havrix (Hep A) - GSK
Avaxim (Hep A) - Sanofi
Epaxal (Hep A) - Berna

Twinrix (Hep A & B) - GSK

Vivaxim (Hep A & Typhoid) - Sanofi

MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) - Merck & Co.
Priorix (measles, mumps, rubella) - Sanofi

MR VAX (measles, rubella) - Merck & Co.
Eolarix (measles, rubella) - GSK

Biavax II (mumps, rubella) - Merck & Co.

Meruvax II (Rubella) - Merck & Co.

ProQuad/MMR-V (MMR + chickenpox) - Merck & Co.

Poliovax - Sanofi Pasteur
DT Polio Adsorb. - Sanofi Pasteur

Pentacel (Polio Combination - DTaP + polio+ HiB) - Sanofi Pasteur
Infanrix (Polio Combination - DTaP + polio+ HiB) - Sanofi Pasteur
Quadracel (Polio Combination - DTaP + polio+ HiB) - Sanofi Pasteur

Imovax (Rabies) - Sanofi Pasteur

Enbrel (rheumatoid/OsteoArthritis) - Amgen

Xigris (Sepsis) - Eli Lilly

Zostavax (Shingles) - Merck & Co.

Acambis 1000 (Smallpox) - Acambis

and, still in development:
MRKAd5HIV-1 (HIV) - Merck & Co.
As-yet-unnamed vaxes for Ebola (mfrd by Crucell/NIH), Flu (MedImmune Vaxin), and Avian Flu (Sanofi)

Full (printable) chart & more info at:
http://www.cogforlife.org/fetalvaccines.htm
I guess you can post links. These are the links mentions in the previous post.

Dr. Wahls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc

http://morgellonsdiseaseawareness.com/diet_and_ph_plus_ph_chart
I can sympathise with those that itch. A week after leaving hospital in 1997 after very radical abdominal surgery I started with a general itching over my body. It has continued ever since but sporadically. Sometimes my legs burn and itch for days at a time,sometimes my mid chest, sometimes, thighs, arms and a pricking itch on my face - especially at night. By close observations of the timing of the itch, as it comes and goes, I have established that it is related to small bowel (jejunum) movements (peristalsis). Various theories I have entertained are; adhesions after the op as I am quite tender to deep abdominal pressure, candidal overgrowth after repeated penicillin courses for another problem and during surgery in hospital, transfer of the immune reaction from gut wall when I had colitis to my skin. It is definitely a neurological problem like the neuritis that alcoholics get due to Vitamin B complex deficiency and irritation of the nerves. Probably a good idea for anyone with itching to have their B12 and Folic acid levels estimated and to take Vit B complex. It is really important to have kidney and liver function checked as there can be metabolic causes related to diminishing kidney function or inflammation of the biliary system. Another line is to have blood bile acids levels checked as this can cause itching too with normal liver function tests. I feel with itching a physician should carry out a full and careful full body examination with a range of blood tests as rarely there are forms of blood cancer too causing it. A penicillin allergy can cause a long term immune problem that can take two years to settle without rash or hives.  I am a retired Doctor!  
You sound like me!!....only I am opposite of you in every way. I've had intense itching for almost a year now....but for me...the cool makes it worse. Heat is my friend. If I take a hot bath and apply Sarna lotion, and cover myself up with clothing...it will die down. Mine starts about an hour or so after waking up.
I've seen every doc I can, and they all scratch their heads. One doc insists its a neuropathy, but the Neurologists says no.
I have no rash....nothing.
I just responded to someone else s post, but it ended up under your post.
!!!!??
You are the closest person yet on any forum that sounds like me! WTH is this??? Ive had the crazy itchies for almost a year. The only thing that helps is a very hot bath with epson salt, then rub down with Sarna Lotion (found in the medicines isle...by the Epson Salts.)  After this, I cover up and try to relax. Sometimes...If it continues I get one of those things you microwave for heat and lay on the itching spot(s), and it will finally subside.
I've been to all kinds of docs. Noone knows.
There is no rhyme or reason to my itching pattern. One day its the tops of my legs, the next its my calves, the next its my waist etc.... If I get cold, and am not wearing anything on my arms, my arms will start to burn and tingle.    
Anyway...its lovely for sure!!!
Thank you for your post, a very dear friend of mine has just enlightened me on all the problems this additive is causing to our bodies. I am becoming more and more convinced that this needs to be eliminated out of everyones diet completely. And it seems the more I am experiencing recent health issues, the more it is coming clear that alot of it is being caused by this artificial sweetner. Its gotta go! Thanks again,  Maria
Hi my name is Anthony I am 14y/o and I have a similar problem to all of you.
At least once a day I get really itchy as f ants are biting me all over my body including my head. If anyone has a cure for this please tell.
I have had deep extreme itching all over mostly over my entire upper torso and arms for 17 years, From 2 days after i had unprotected sex with a promiscuous female stranger, who said she had some type of fatigue virus before we did it, but i decided not to worry about getting it, and got it, so it is probably a virus. Without any visible rash to the doctor (but skin is slightly less smooth than before), i did a general STD test for multiple infections and lots of other tests until the doctor referred me to the psychiatrist, I complained to our state Premier about misdiagnosis and useless doctors and he said to submit to the psychiatrist too, I begged and threatened the hospital physician to refer me to an infection specialist, but he just looked at me and said all skin infections have rashes and sent me on my way, Another doctor said they are only able to work out the cause of these types of infection only about 40% of the time after throwing everything at it, I had a couple of rounds of general anti-biotics but that did not work. After about 10 years i started taking 500g 20-40% immunoglobulin powder per month (different brand each month) plus zinc and about 20 other immune support vitamins minerals and herbs 400g per month costing about $200 per month (total together) and after about 3 months it went away 95%, but now i cant afford to keep taking everything and it has come back with a vengeance after 3 months only taking a multi-vitamin and normal food. It really has knocked the stuffing out of me, and im sick as a dog, I will have go back on the colostrum and immune support vitamins, minerals and usual herbs powder again as soon as i can afford it, I usually get my colostrum and immune support powder from iHerb (USA) with $4 shipping to Australia, very cheap, but i may try a local colostrum (different mix of antibodies) again next time. I just sent a DNA sample to 23andme for genetic testing, they can detect a lot of viruses. I cant have sex with anyone for fear of the repercussions, she would have probably have hired a hit, as sometimes has happened when girls get infected in sex with something like this. would welcome any other suggestions. Thank You Very Much for the emotional support, i feel a little bit less insane.
I GET AN ITCH ON MY ARMS AND LEGS ONLY. I HAVE TAKEN ZERTEC, BENADRYL, AND ZANTAC. IT TAKES FROM 6-24 HOURS FOR THE ITCH TO STOP. I THINK IT IS SOMETHING I AM EATING. IT STARTED AROUND JUNE 19TH, AND SEEMS TO HAPPEN ABOUT EVERY 6-7 DAYS. LAST ATTACH WAS THIS PAST SUNDAY, 6/16/13. TOOK THE DRUGS, AND IT DID NOT STOP COMPLETELY FOR 24 HOURS. I ASSUME I NEED TO BE TESTED. HELP!!!
test for celiac and lyme disease both cause itching.  i am deficient in vit d and been tested negative for lupus but i found out that i had lymes which can cause whole body itching and am now being tested for celiac because the lymes is gone and the vit d is normal but the itch is still there
I got a combination of extremely annoying itching all over my body that I have to scratch, and then the kind that feels like I'm being poked by needles.  I have scratches all over my face because that's where it happens the worst, and I sometimes just tell myself I'm gonna rip my face off if I can't get at least an hour of sleep on any given night.  Been trying to find answers online, but haven't been terribly lucky.  I don't want to see any doctors because my experience with doctors is that most of them are complete imbeciles, and I don't want to waste a lot of money and time just chancing it.  
Not that this will help everyone but I am a Physiotherapist who is treating itching at the moment. If your itching is following a pattern called myotome distribution it could be caused by nerve root compression. If this is the case Physiotherapy can be quite effective. Most cases involve a pattern of pain, burning, pins and needles or numbness in a specific distribution. If you consider that itching is just a nervous response instead of a reaction to a stimulant (e.g. allergy, bite etc) then releasing the irritation of the nerve root should alleviate symptoms.

If you think you may fit into one of these categories, investigate myotomes and consult your physiotherapist.
Hey Doc, I think you may have hit on something here. Four years ago I had a hysterectomy that went wrong due to an undiagnosed bleeding disorder. I subsequently had to have 3 surgeries to remove blood collections in the abdomen cavity and walls. Anyhoo, just to say I also have severe adhesions and take 450mg Lyrica daily (nerve pain), 90mg Cymgen (depression), Eltroxin (foot and leg pains). I have put myself on a multivit as well and an echina immune booster because anything like flu etc has me writhing in abdominal pain (seems to decrease my ability to handle pain). My itching started about 8 months ago, and has progressively gotten worse. Now I have silvery scaly skin on my neck from the scratching, eyelids that are peeling (like someone else on this forum I also had the puffy eyelids and now pus discharge) and general itching, no part of my body is out of bounds for this itch. I have to wonder if this is not a result of nerve damage from the ops and nerve compression from the adhesions. Do you perhaps know if local nerve damage can affect all nerves like a disease spreading?
Today I made a paste from turmeric and put it on an itchy patch just to see if the anti inflammatory, anti fungal and anti bacterial properties would help and it did. Itchy everywhere BUT the turmeric patch. Trying to convince my hubby to paint me, lol. Oral antihistamines seem to help for an hour or so after they kick in......found 1 that does not cause drowsiness.
Have you done any research on abdominal adhesions? Would love to read it. I haven't worked in 4 years in the formal sector because I would take too many sick days. So my issues are now compounded by this itch that is slowly driving me insane.
Hi, here's a question I asked AlanJay as well. If nerves in the abdomen are trapped and compressed, can this translate into progressive nerve disorder like generalised itchiness? I don't see my itching following any pattern, I just read up superficially on dermatomes and looked at the chart. And is there any physiotherapy treatment for abdominal adhesions so the trapped nerves can be released? Thanks.
are you  allergic to any thing
Go to a doctor that is a specialist in TCM.  Traditional Chinese Medicine.  They have incredible success with skin problems.  I had a friend who had a skin problem that looked like she had the goose bumps (huge) from cold over her entire body but she had it ALL THE TIME.  After all the specialists and all the fancy hospitals could do nothing, she tried a TCM doctor who gave her herbs to drink.  After two months, about 65% gone, after four months almost totally gone.  You should see her skin.  Lovely and soft now.  
I'm currently suffering from something similar to what everyone is complaining about in this blog.  Intense body itching (mostly in the moist folds, under breasts, groin...armpits).  I thought it was from sweat (recently lost alot of weight and have more lose skin and I sweat profusely when working out).  But reading the aspertime posts, I'm starting to wonder.  I quit smoking and switched to chewing gum, alot of gum.  But why now...why is this insane itching starting out of the blue?  I've been chewing gum since I was a girl....
I too have had this horrible, annoying itching problem that, yes, seems to come from something that has been ingested.  My sister was diagnosed with celiac disease last year and noticed that some of my other symptoms I had been having (minus the itch), were the same as hers, but milder (bloating, upset stomach, joint pain, cramping, etc.).  She suggested I try going gluten free for at least a month to see how I felt.  Though I do feel better and a lot of my symptoms have subsided, I still have that darned, nasty itch.  My hands have been itching for quite a while, but the itch has increased over the past year and is now all over.  After going to the allergist like so many of you, all my testing came back negative as well.  I was given 2 prescriptions for the itch and sent on my way as the doc had no idea on how to treat the itch.  After talking to my sister again, I found out one of the things she also seems to have a problem with is corn syrup and High Fructose Corn Syrup - well any kind of modified corn product really.  This is not related to celiac and she does not itch - she has other symptoms.   A lot of people have this intolerance so I decided to go corn free too.  I still get little pin pricks now and then (probably didn't read the label on something), but the itch is mainly gone.  If I eat something with corn syrup products, I will itch for a few days until it completely leaves my system.  Like I'm itching today as I ate peanut butter with corn syrup in it yesterday.  Didn't read the label.  Corn syrup and HFCS is in everything like wheat is in everything.  Peanut butter, BBQ sauce, many things you wouldn't think of.  I was also tested for celiac disease, negative.  But I still do have an intolerance - it's just not advanced enough for the test to detect - but I still get symptoms if I consume gluten.  So anyone who is itching - try going gluten free and corn free specifically for 4-6 weeks and see how you feel.  It can't hurt.  The person who is chewing gum - there is corn syrup in most gum - it's not made the same as it was when you were younger.  
hi selina i will make it short and hope you get my point.i have the same problem and i don't stop itching well i'm 17 now and it started when i was 12 i hate it especially when it's winter and the air is dry it makes my skin break and blood comes out from my (as your daughter) wrists, back of elbows, ankles, hands and feet also forehead and lips and  adding to that i scratch my self all night long i went to many doctors dermatologists and others including gynecologists and they gave me a lot of creams pills but right after i stop using it it comes back harder than befor i still can't give up on moisturizing creams but what i noticed matches what i have been told : "you well get REALLYY better when you grow and reach your 18" and that's very true cause i got really well i think it's a matter of time of course you can make it better by taking good care of your daughter's skin  one other thing is very important : is your daughter's period regular enough? it's a blood matter that can be the reason that's my case i don't assume anything for yours try to figure that out good luck
My itching sounds a lot different than what everyone else is experiencing.
Mine started about 5 years ago when I was pregnant. I found out I had cholestasis (back up of bile) which would make you itch... after my daughter was born, it went away for a while.. but started back up not too long after. I had my gall bladder removed about 6 months ago, so, gall stones and backed up bile can't be it anymore.
My itching is constant, gets worse at night,, it's so hard to sleep because i keep itching. It almost feels like something crawling on me.. like bugs or when you have a loose strand of hair making you itch. I have no rash, no bug bites, no sign of scabies (yikes!) - nothing! It's everywhere, my legs and feet, my back and belly, my chest, my head itches terrible, my face (mostly chin) - I'll claw myself open or wake up with scratches. It's more of a deep tickle-ey type of itch that goes away when it's scratched. Every great while i'll get a tiny little hive that comes out of nowhere... so that makes me think it might be allergies? But to what? I use perfume and dye free everything, eat well, etc.  Antihistamines don't help, creams and such don't help either. I feel like I'm going crazy and i'm always scratching! I DO have dry skin, but when I moisturize it doesn't help.. i'm sometimes even more itchy after using plain shea butter. I can't take it anymore! I'm the only one too.. nobody else in the house is itchy. I thought my cat might have had mites or something, but everyone would be itchy then. ughhh
I started to itch in my palm, fingers, feet and toes day before yesterday with no rash whatsoever.  Today, I am itching all over my body and my scalp.   I have been eating mostly vegetarian meals cooked at home.  I had a surgery about two weeks ago but am recovering well and the medications stopped about 4 or 5 days ago.  Don't know how this started.  I have always used the same soap, moisturizer, shampoo etc.  Have no idea what is causing this problem.  I even checked my blood sugar, it is not elevated.  It is really frustrating..  
I am having general itching over my body since the past 3 years now, i have taken several medication but all to no avail. I even went for HIV text twice and was confirmed negative. just little rash on my body, i eat good and no loss of weight. God, i am so ******* confuse and don't know what do to. I base in Ghana please if you have any idea on how i can solve this problem kindly inbox me.
My symptoms are identical..itch all over my body, always feeling hot. I do not have a rash. My scalp can itch sometimes constant. I do not have dry skin and no flaking associated with the itching.Has anyone determined what the diagnosis is?
I am the same as u, my doctor thinks its anxiety, i dont agree, but this feeling of itch gives me the ANXIETY! I snap at the kids when my body is tingling like insects all over...it gets me worse at back of neck and shoulders and my scalp. If i start cleaning the heat gets worse cos i am sweating.. in cold weather
Keep us up to date please
I am getting a biopsy in a fortnight on lymph nodes in my groin...hope it isnt cancer. My doctor said tests dont always show cancer! So why am i having it! Grrrrrr
I notices water does help, could be kidney damage making the itch!
If youre a female, i am guessing perimenopause, i just looked up some info right now...it doesnt matter if. Are getting your period n time, your hormones are changing...gonna get another hormone test.  
Did you find out if its hormone related.  My daughter has developed this and is frustrated doctors have no answers.
You have scabies. I know it. It's a pain and itch like crazy. Nights are the worst. Dr. will give you some cream. It's hard to get rid of but once you put the cream on it's like istant relief.
Oh my gosh. You have scabies. How do you guys not know that, or your doctors not thinking of that. It's misserable but easily treated with a cream and washing all clothing and bedding. You will feel amazing after treatment.
Could it be scabies. They say antihistamines help with the itching of the scabies so that may be what helps you. You can have them for ever if not treated. Try seeing if you have that. I know I have been dealing with them for a few months. They are hard to get rid of but the cream they give you helps so much right away.
Scabies people...scabies. Look it up.
Scabies. You have scabies. Get some cream from your Dr. And wash cloths and sheet pronto
Dude it's probably just scabies. Look it up. Get cream. Chill out.
Please before you do anything. Ask your Dr. If it could be scabies. Look them up. It's insanly itchy on stomach, legs, chest EVERYWHERE!!! At different times but everywhere. Misserable. But easily treated with cream and washing cloths and sheets.
I am currently suffering from the same symptoms. I read your response and I want to know what cancer  where you diagnosed with, as my blood test always come back as normal.
I have  had itching without rash or anything you can see, since a month or so after I had a hysterectomy a year ago. My back, shoulders,neck, head and eyebrows itch the most.  I have been to my allergist and dermatologist and nothing is helping.  It is worse at night.  I do eat a lot of artificial sweetener.  I will try to eliminate that.
My symptoms are almost identical to yours. I was put on steroids for a week and that did help,but I don't want to be on them the rest of my life.The only thing different with mine is that my itching is usually brought on by stimulation (i.e walking barefoot, shaving my legs, cold water, and scratching it really makes it worse). Have you had any answers?

I must comment and explain to you that I also suffer from what seems to be the same exact problems as your suffering from, from the itching head to toe, to the external genital area. It really drives me insane. and  for awhile I've always thought maybe it was the material of the clothing I wore. But the problem consist even when I remove my clothes. It's saddening to me, and it brings me down and make me feel awkward, as if I'm this mutant.
I itch all over my body, after a little jogging, that may be less than five minutes. The itching also don't last for more than ten minutes, It has really affected by exercise routine which I need to keep fit.
I really want to know the cause. I am 56 years old, and I have been experiencing this now for almost a decade.
I need help. Thanks.
My itching is considerably easing up. I do drink tons of water, I no longer drink diet sodas, except a rare diet Root Beer, cut out artificial sweeteners, although I do use Truvia (stevia). I have added coconut oil to my diet, as well as taking Krill oil, flaxseed oil, Vitamin E as well as others. I do not take HOT showers or baths anymore. My back is almost cleared up (the sores from me scratching so hard).
I do not know if any one of these things has helped me but thought it worth mentioning as the itching used to drive me CRAZY!! Soooooo much better now.
does water really help - ive had intense itching for past 5years
been to all doctors skin.allergy.regular doc & they cant find nothing wrong
i do notice that benadryl does make it worse
im misarealble
my itching is exactly the same as yours. Same everything, worse at night. I itch on my thighs abdomen back and chin and arms sometimes. Its not like a little itch, it takes alot of scratching to make it go away. i have been to dermatoligists and had many tests done. And nothing. nothing works no antihistamines help, no itching creams help. Idk what to do. Im going crazy... and now its affecting school and work too :( any suggestions)??
Thank you so much for the advice as I did realize a few days ago I was so thirsty but could not get to water for awhile. that's when it began and I did not realize till I read your blog. so thanks I will let you know if it works.
I have an unbearable,burning,fiberglass itch on my left arm.  I've had it for a couple of years and been to 3 doctors and a dermatologist.   Nothing has worked.  I was given different strengths of cortisone to no avail.  I went to another dr.  who prescribed a medicine for anti-sezures.  I thought it was helping until the burning pricklly itch returned on my right arm.  This itch is so God aweful that I can't take it.  I want to cry.  Its like someone taking fiberglass and rubbing it on raw nerves.  The prescription is called Gabapentin 300mlg.Another nane for it is Neurontin.  Can anyone help me?
I have the same itching problem as you but I have these type of water blisters on my left hand n it itches really badly so I pop them n there's a huge hole in my hand all over I put peroxide n rubbing alcohol on it n it feels good but the itching starts again n now its got tin worst to wear its itching under my arm pits n my man hood sad I know I drink lots of water even before I started this itching problem n now I drink even more cuz of it I haven't went to the doctors yet n the steaming hot water helps so much but it doesn't last long until I get out I put lotion on n it works sometimes n I'm a little scared cuz I haven't had this type of thing happen to me before I'm a healthy boy n the itchiness is getting really old IV tried everything possible n nothing seems to work
Hi Folks,
If you can't find the cause of your itch and there are no visible symptoms - have a think about whether you are allergic to coffee. I searched forever to find the cause of my itch and stumbled over people talking about coffee allergy. I stopped drinking coffee and it went away within days. I recently snuck a few iced coffee flavoured drinks thinking they would be ok. For a while they didn't bother me but then the itch was back. My partner told me to stop being silly and stop the drinks. The itch has gone again..
Hopefully, this might help someone out there because the itch is unbearable!
Hi All, like so many of you I had itching that drove me crazy for about a year or two, scratching everywhere, mainly at night which caused me to have very little sleep about 2-3 nights a week. I took anti-histamines, went to see doctors had skin tests etc etc. Anyway, I finally started to do my own research as often cannot trust doctors and you are better off to try and self diagnose!
I discovered I had type 2 diabetes as one of my other symptoms was tingling in the hands. I was totally freaked out , bought a test kit and sure enough, there it was TYPE 2 DIABETES.
Visited a doctor finally who confirmed it, I was very scared. I DID NOT take any medication as hate drugs of any kind. I simply started taking much better care of myself, bought a treadmill, increased water intake  started eating fresh crunchy salads, stopped eating bread , did not eat sugar of any kind and quit dairy. I have dropped so much weight so quickly, have not itched at all in weeks!!!!! I am 54 years old (female) and was overweight.

Check out the link below, some of you may be surprised and shocked (like I was)
All the best :o)

http://www.medicinenet.com/type_2_diabetes_pictures_slideshow/article.htm
I have the same type of itching problem. Itching from my toes to my eyelashes. I have undergone extensive allergy testing - nothing showed up. When I have the itching there is no rash, and nothing that I can link it to,such as household products, food, makeup, etc.
After reading your post, I realized that am drinking a sugar substitute in my water often. Thank you for sharing your story. I will cut that out tomorrow and see what happens
I had PUPP which is itching caused by virus during 3rd trimester.  With any inflammation a steroid should stop it.  it was relief within 30 hours.  Please consider a steroid that you swallow by mouth.
don't overlook the obvious,  this could be scabies.  I had scabies for over a month before I figured out what it was.  They breed in moist areas (crack of the mid arm is common) and become more active in the evening.
Hi, my name is Margaret and I've had the all over itchy skin for about 18 months.  I thought it was just my eczema getting worse but no.  I've never felt anything like this.  It's horrible at night and right now it's focused on my forearms, back, neck and sometimes my cheeks and chin.  Welts show up when I scratch and the next day there will be a trail of bumps that look like zits from where I scratched.  It seems like cooler showers and moisturinzing often help.  I haven't been drinking too much water lately but I'll try that with my oatmeal soak.  The oatmeal soak helps when it seems to spread to my thighs and tops of my feet.  It seems to happen every evening and sometimes my scalp will itch so bad that I just want scream.  I've read quite a few of people's comments on here and what on earth can't they find out what's wrong with us?  It's soo frustrating!
I have that same problem the whole body itches for noreason i have no infections diseases.it happens to me like an alergic (allergic) reaction because when its cold and i sweat it starts even today when i ate a piece of bread with mayo it started i dont y but i witch it can stop it makes me act like a freak
I too have this debilitating itch.  I've had mine for three years now.  I've been to every doctor known to man and most of them tell me its in my head.  It really *****!  I get very depressed now after I see a doctor and he tells me "change the soap you use" UHHH.  I've tried everything.  I feel for all of you that have this too and I can just pray that a really smart doctor like House on TV gets this and figures it out.  Luckily, Allegra works for me.  I just have to OD on it (3 pills every few days)and the itching goes away.  I would be in the ER or psyche ward otherwise.
I have the same thing for three years now.  I get tired more easily, very hot all the time and feels like bugs are crawling all over.  Whay cant a doctor figure this out?
I would try Apple cider vinegar, drink half pint per day, add little honey, Also 4 pints of filtered water. I have not tried it yet but know others that have. I really hope it helps you.
Have you tried vitamin D3?
The itching could be toxins that the liver is not filtering and coming out thru the skin. The prescription CHOLESTYRAMINE worked 4me. CHOLESTYRAMINE Is a powder that the toxins- attach to- then goes out with your BM. This is what  my liver dr said.
I had Extreme itching all over,thot bugs, scabies, it was disturbing. I bruised an sometimes bled from scratching so hard.
I went to derm many times with no ans, referred2 Kidney Dr then Liver Dr.  bought creams, shampoos, cortizone, & spent hundreds of $.
I'd forgotten abt this med. an now 7-8yrs later started itching again.  I was looking for help and found this forum and it all came back ...  I am starting med in AM - I pray it works again.
I hope this may help some1 out there. Nite all-Prayers& wellness to you
You so emphatically am telling people they have scabies -- well much to your surprise -- I have most of these symptoms and was tested for scabies and Dr's concluded that it was not scabies or any viral disease.  The problems lies with allergies and fake sugars.  So please -- quit telling everyone they have scabies when you are not a doctor and haven't personally tested these people.  
I eradicated 98% of my Eczema when I was 17 by taking myself off of ALL white flour and white sugar, and adding balanced B-complex vitamins, to my diet. Now with hormonal changes, at age 57, it's baaaaack.  

Here are my temp fixes for the itching:  Witch Hazel stops the itch w/o drying the skin. I put it in a spray bottle and use it on my scalp as well. I clean my itchy spots, oat dry, then put on my Rx of Desonide or Protopic...

I got so desperate one time that I sprayed Vinegar on my arms (2:1) and amazingly it stopped the itch.

I also put a cup of Oatmeal in apiece of cheesecloth and sit in a very warm tub and rub it all over, as well as soak in it.

Most important is DIET and VITAMINS.  I don't eat white bread or white sugar and most of what I eat is Organic!  No soda pop, only dark chocolate, real butter (no margarine), olive oil, lots of greens & juicing.

Hope this helps!
OMG. I think I have the same condition. between fingers I woke up and it was so itchy and red. also throughout my whole body itches. and I notice where it itches the skin is emitting oil... also my teeth/gums hurt extremely, which you didn't mention, and I know it is not cavities, seen the dentist.  itchy in private areas, but not limited to those areas.  let me know if you found out what it is or find good relief techniques.
Hi all,
I am 27years old male. I am facing itching problem since couple of week (may be 2). Last year I faced bed bugs and fixed it and moved in to new house with all new furniture's and bedding clothes, washed all clothed in 90 degree C. It was normal life afterward. suddenly week ago i feel my body is itching but was not problematic. But now it starts itching every where whole over the body, and every time  specially more when i sit in bed. I feel like insects are running all over my body but there is not any sign of rashes and even I did not find any insects (It is not bed bug because it can be seen and I had also spray chemical for it). I am afraid what to do? its making me like crazy. If anybody has any suggestion you are most welcome.
Hi all,
I've been spraying myself with Hydrogen Peroxide and after another bottle of 50% Club Soda with 25% Vodka and 25% White Vinegar, at first it helped but last night wanted to do jumping jacks and scream, and had to spray like every 5/10 minutes on my feet, hands, neck, etc......even used Tea Tree Essential Oil today, and Gold Bond Anti-itch cream.....

So while getting through dinner, had to spray with both again on forearms, hands and elbows, then squeezed a tangerine over the skin, and honestly I've stopped in all those area's, it actually feels cooling and soothing, but I hope that lasts.  I know Trish from Trish's Salt and Scrubs made this concoction with essential oils that stopped and ended her psorasis, I know she probably has something for severely itchy skin.  I'am out of Theives Essential Oil, and when I get pneumonia in the summers that and other oils are the best to put on the back of my neck and down my spine.

But for me, this started 3 months ago right after each of the 2 Quantum Biofeedback Sessions, which I got to rid of eye pain, and I never got any money back and would never have that done again, unless it's from someone very hightly intuitive instead of trained to follow procedure.  I ended up using tap water and Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar to rid of the eye infection in 3 days.

But you can try this and see it if works but likewise, everyone's different, I'am about to check earthclinc and Chinese and Indian methods for itch.

I would add Hydrogen Peroxide and Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar with Club Soda but apparently your not supposed to mix HP and Vinegar.  One Alternative Doctor mentioned taking Aloe Vera would help internally.
treated every 6 months for damned scabies..it isn't scabies!!why don't they believe us? I have been itching for over 6 years.. seen dermatology,allergy,neurology,psychiatry to no avail.. and now just 3 weeks ago my husband started itching too... now the docs are really baffled.. heat makes it worse for me.. a hot shower or bath is unbearable increasing the itch to the point I scratch off all my skin creating huge open wounds.. worse at night than daytime.. cold weather stops the itch altogether if its cold enough..but prescribed creams, lotions, ointments, allergy pills atarax,beydryl,zyrtec.. psych drugs nothing works for more than a few minutes.. not even diet control/avoidance of certain foods or chemicals...HELP! Please!
I have had the "global Pruritus" full body itching for about 3 years and it's just gotten worse. Scalding showers, over the counter stuff, vinegar, etc. works temporarily but doesn't stop it at all.
Trouble is, we don't eat anything artificial, do all our own cooking, use supplements, natural vitamins. Avoid HFCS like the plague which it is. I am strong and healthy otherwise. There's no rash but I scratch till I bleed, and my back itches worst of all and I can't reach it. Couldn't sleep all night long.

I know what it's like to wonder about neuropathy and stuff because it does also feel like insects crawling around on you.

I've recently found a naturopath who is going to intravenously treat a possible liver cause, but it's experimental. We don't know yet. Sure glad to find your site here. If I learn anything, I'll write and let everybody know.
I too have had extreme severe itching all over for the last 9 mnths, it seemed to start when we moved house around the same time. It is worse at night and the most itchy spots are my pubic area, thighs, my back and under my breasts, but generally everywhere all at once with no rash only small welts after I'v started to scratch and some times it will leave a rough red goosebump patch, this afternoon has been especially frustrating it seems that  as soon as I walked in my front door I have been itching :( My partner also has had similar symptoms for the past five weeks and now my son has been complaining for the last week or so, the itching started on his chest and now spread to the rest of his body. I really hope someone can figure this out and help. My partner is nagging me to look up dust mites so i'll do that now and get back to you if I learn anything.
I have had the same exact itching for 13 years and the only temporary relief is one Zyrtec a day.  It takes the itch away.  I have been to so many doctors and specialists and they have all given up on me.  A few months ago I started getting rashes with  an itch that still itches even while on the Zyrtec, but it is tolerable.  I haven't given up and hopefully there will be a cure soon.
Take a Zyrtec daily.  It isn't a cure but is a temporary itch relief.  I have had this for 13 years and have been to specialists and they have all given up on me.  
I have the same problem. Itch everywhere. The head itching seems to always be in the same spots. I itch till I have irritated the head into specific welts, and then they are sore. The body itching doesn't get sores, but itches in different spots at different times, groin, arms, buttocks, then back to head, neck, back, alternating. Has anyone read up on Chemtrails. This is a possibility, also genetically modified foods. Also, I was at a hospital, my husband was in hosp. at the time, and a nurse had gotten scabbies. I was standing next to her, helping her, and I got them. There is a scabbies that itches, and does not show on the skin. Very tiny. This truly could be a culprit for many unknowingly. The nurse went to one Dr. and they did not see it, then went to another Dr, and it was discovered. They had to treat every patient in the hospital, me included. The treatment is a tube of stuff (sorry, can't remember the name of it), you put it on from head to toe, not on face, read instructions, and leave it on overnight, and it fixes the problem. I have a tube around here somewhere, when I find it, I will try it and let you know the results. Also, we are being chemically sprayed, go outside and look up everyday, and watch. There is Aluminum, Barium, Strontium, and God knows what else, The Powers that be that run our Government are spraying us with Chemicals, and it is thought that the new disease Morgellans is from this. Check it out, and good luck people.
The itching is caused from poisoning.  Could be benzene or mercury.  The liver is in distress or the skin wouldn't be itching.  Clean the liver.  Detox.
I'm so glad to to know I'm not alone. I've been having problems with this itching for about 3 months and I itch everywhere, but not all at the same time. It's embarrassing when your "lower area" itches so bad you have to find a bathroom just to go itch. My husband looks at the areas I can't see, but he always tell me he can't see any bites, just me scratching, I know I don't have scabies because I had them as a kid & it is not fun! Never let your child stay with someone you suspect. Anyway, I itch so bad sometimes I cause big, black bruises on my skin. I thought I got fleas from our outside cat until I stopped holding her. Then, I changed laundry soap, but that didn't work. I've been told I have a cyst on my liver, but the Doctor said not to worry and that most people do and don't even know it, I had back surgery 3 years ago and still have tingling and numbness in my hands and feet. Sometimes I wonder if it's nerves from my surgery. I'm ready to seek a Doctor. I don't know if I should my family physician or my Neurologist.  
What an awesome post. Thanks for sharing, Ayla, and I agree that diet is a large and important component of these symptoms.
Sorry for your diagnosis, and what a shame the 'medical community' doesn't recognize Morgellons [as legitimate?]. Shame on them.
GMO's are horrible, and rampant in our food chain, and have been for several DECADES now. The ramifications are only now beginning to reveal themselves in the health of the nation.
There have been some positive actions taking place lately: both Maine and Hawaii have succeeded in passing into law legislation that REQUIRES labeling so that we as citizens can make healthier choices.
Meanwhile, I've also invested in body brushes, and will see if that additional routine can help relieve the itching through stimulation of the lymph nodes.  
If ONLY Doctors would take the time to test and do a thorough investigation, especially when a patient makes several visits for the same issue!
I posted elsewhere regarding this itching, and agree with you that vitamin and mineral deficiencies and normal GI tract functioning are key factors.
Just another reason to look to the diet, and exercise for ways to manage the issue.  
Can you recommend a cleanse for the liver? Thanks.
My empathy goes out to everyone of these posts I read.  I'm thankful for them though as I have felt very isolated with this problem.  My doctor has done everything he can think of to no avail.  I have decided to go to a naturalpath who does accupuncture in spite of the cost and distance I have to travel. oI am 69 and first experienced some itching about age 49; about the same time I started into peri-menopause.  At that time it was mainly on my upper arms with some breaking out in a rash.  My blood pressure also elevated at the time period so started taking bp meds plus an anti depressant.  The itching continued but worse in the winter months.
For the two years it has become basically most of the time.  Absolutely nothing stops it.  Any stimulation to my skin sets it off even showering or putting the endless list of lotions or oils I have tried.  Or it will commence without any stimulation.  I believe this issue warrants some serious research especially after reading all these posts and the helpless hopeless situation so many people are in.  - Josi
I have itched for about 10 years and it has gotten worse overtime. Currently, itch is everywhere w/ no rash although I have caused many bumps, whelps, and scabs. Much, much worse at night. I take a strong sleep aid and I still get up all through the night and sometimes by the time I am able to sleep my alarm clock is going off. This affects my moods, how I dress, my activities, everything. My husband has stopped sleeping in the same bed with me. I wake with streaks of blood on my arms and legs. I cry as I lie in bed wishing I could sleep. I have an appointment at UNC Dermatology in early March and I pray they can find a disease. If they can put a name on this maybe they can cure it. I told my husband I sometimes think  the only relief would come from taking all my sleep med at once and just going to sleep for good. How can anyone live like this. Mine has never been this bad.
I am 53 (female) and have had terrible itching for many years that sounds very much like the experiences of the people on this forum.
Interestingly, when I was diagnosed with severe Anemia and treated with iron infusions (Venofer-Iron Sucrose IV's) the itching actually went away! About a year later I had itching issues again (along with the other symptoms that I'd had previously with Anemia) and I had to have the iron infusions repeated. Sure enough the itching went away again!  (if you suspect Anemia be sure to have an iron panel done and insist that they have your FERRITIN IRON checked too!! Do NOT let a doctor just run a hematocrit test! Every time that test was done on me it came back fairly normal. However, when my Hematologist ordered a Ferritin Iron test (which shows what the actual iron "stores" are in your bones and organs) ...my Ferritin Iron was down to a pitiful 4!! (Normal is between 100-310 as I recall) One of my other major symptoms of Anemia is that I CRAVED ice....I wanted to chew it all the time! Another MAJOR sign that doctors missed/ignored is that my platelets were always VERY HIGH when they ran labs on me.
I had no idea until this brilliant Hematologist told me that platelet levels are a huge indicator of Anemia!! (Platelets show up on blood tests as "PLT") (plus weakness in muscles, esp. my arms like you would not believe! Even my voice box felt too exhausted for me to speak!)

At that time, when I was having the iron infusions I was told that if you have very low iron levels it affects your thyroid, and when your thyroid is sluggish OR when your body doesn't utilize thyroid hormones you will most likely have severe itching issues!!  My husband had incredibly horrific hives for YEARS, and when he was finally sent to a specialist at the University Hospital in Denver, they treated him with thyroid medication (NATURAL thyroid, not the pharma-types)  the hives miraculously went away!! Meanwhile he had been treated with TONS of medications, and worst of all, 2 years of STEROIDS, which seriously caused him to gain 65 POUNDS!! ( sadly, steroids didn't ever help him for long, but for whatever reason that weight has been absolutely impossible lose, so now he has OTHER health issues caused by the Prednisone!!)  

Another big problem that no one has mentioned here (and I think itching can have several root causes) is that there is Fluoride in many, many medications and foods! Look it up!! I think Prozac is actually MADE from Fluoride!  Fluoride messes with your thyroid BIG TIME...so if it's in your toothpaste, your drinking water, your medications and even some of your foods, who KNOWS what damage it has been done over the years, causing millions of Americans to suffer! (I say Americans because it has been banned in many countries!!)  Research this....do not take my word for it--- you will be shocked!!  
I have also had Pleurisy for 8 years and all I can say is that I would rather be in pain than to have severe itching any day!! (I'm sure that most of you would agree!)
this really crazy and so annoying, I live with it for the last past 12 years I still have itching all over my body after shower, I went to see my doctor he keep give me prescription with different cream and tablets but still not work out, I seen it even more worse, so when I think that I have to take shower I get so sad because I know after shower I will be suffer scratching my both at least for 20 or 25 minutes… please god help me, that's just to much for me.
When more than one person in a household, especially if the other one is sleeping with you....you probably have scabies and/or bed bugs...and that you can find a solution for.
I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes & along with that my doctor said  that my severe leg pains were caused by a condition called neuropathy! She started me on a medication called Gabapentin. I have been taking it now for about a year & have had no problems-that is until about these last 2 weeks that I was unable to refill my prescription!! Thats when all hell broke loose and I began with the itching. Itching so bad that I literally scratched my skin raw & bleeding!! I didn't know why this out of control itch just appeared until 2 days ago when I was able to pick up my prescription finally!!! Thats when it became real apparent to me that my medicine (the Gabapentin) IS what I believe helped make that relentless itching subside!! To me, it totally makes sense because neuropathy is a condition that affects your nerves! It causes alot of pain and discomfort in all kinds of different ways. Sometimes people get severe cramping in their legs,joints or wherever their neuropathy decides to affect!! Sometimes people feel a pins & needles sensation,while others may feel a more achy feeling! It's different for everybody but the one thing that is the same for everybody and that is that it is very painful and discomforting!! So I'm just wondering how many of you may possibly be suffering from Neuropathy( if anybody)! I know that I feel a hundred times better than I did after finally getting my meds pumping back thru my system! And just so you know,,, It never even entered my mind that this could be a solution to my misery when I was itching myself to death but I'm sure glad that I figured it out-Or so it seems! I will let you know if it turns out not to be my solution but maybe if it is a remedy for how torturous that itching can be,, maybe my experience could help a few of you!! Good luck to you all-I DO feel for you!    
OMG I have the same...But i still have my gold bladder. Did you find out what it is ???
I recently had hives, probably due to taking medication and then having a massage..the lotion used..anyway, when I went to the doctor, I was prescribed Benadryl, reactine, and other drugs.  One of the nurses mentioned that for itching for her kids, she puts one cup of oatmeal in an old sock, ties it, and then swishes it around in the bath water.  I tried this, and I also squeezed the oatmeal water all over myself.  I was taking 4 oatmeal baths a day when I had the hives, and after they went away, I still itch at times, and I use the oatmeal in the sock.  It coats the skin and relieves the itching every time.  I also use Aveeno lotion directly on the itchy parts, and it helps.  Good luck...Less medications, less aspartame is my plan.
Try. Rubbing Vicks were it is real itchy at night see if it helps you. It did me
Take neurontin (gabapentin) 300 mg 2 or 3 a day. It stops itching at nerve endings,  I have had this for a decade and no anti histamines or topical lotions or gels work.  This will kill all or almost all of our itching.

You pay have what I believe. Have which is aquagenic pruritis.  Interesting that you mention aspartame.  I had a bad addiction to equal and diet drinks for a long time and I quit about a month ago.   Interesting that you also mentioned asthma.   I have had a cough now for over a month. Is there some correlation that you have found between drinking diet sodas or aspartame and this condition? This is the first I've heard of that. I always had a hunch that drinking all this diet sodas would negatively affect my health but I was never sure what it would do.
I've been extremely itchy all over for about a week now... I've tried all kinds of anti-itching products but none of those has helped.  HOWEVER, I just used some Gold Bond Ultimate healing skin therapy lotion and I seem to be getting some sweet relief. Not at all sure if this is permanent, but thought I'd mention it and you might give it a try.  
My unbearably itching story started 7 months ago. I was having no rash at all (only after the cruel scratchings, my sking would get the Dermographism).  I also have an Autoimmune Thyroiditis, 2 past episodes of Urticaria and white spots of Vitiligo. However, this unusual itch was different from the urticaria as it had no visible sign, only the "itch to the bone" some of you described above. No antihystaminic would work, I even tried acupuncture but in vain, the blood tests were (frustrating) in the right parameters. I kept scrolling this http://www.healthline.com/health/itching and wondering what might it be.

My itch has diminished since January, it is now sometimes bumping during the day and almost always before going to bed (the cruelest itches were always during nights).

It's three things that explain this blessed relief:

- I prayed and focused more on my spiritual needs; I am a Christian and I praid to Saint Ephraim the New, Saint Nectarios of Aegina and Saint Panteleimon

- I started to admit that it might be an emotional problem. I did not want to accept it before, but I started to consider that my emotions might try to escape outside through my skin. I even linked a stressful episode from September with the debute of the unusual itch; I also noticed that when I am very very tired, the itch becomes unbearable

- I went on a gluten free diet 4 months ago, to protect my thyroid

I tried to sum up as much as possible. I hope this will help. I know how frustrating this afection is, and so misunderstood by others, including doctors. But hang on, it will go away just like it came!
I was diagnosed yesterday by an Allergy specialist as having "Dermatographism" and was prescribed "Carbinoxamin" 4 mg (to be taken at bedtime) and "Levocetirizine DHCL" 5 mg (to be taken in the morning), followed at the end with "Prednisone" 20 mg).  Doctor said "Don't worry about this condition... it will go away on its own." (Easy for HIM to say when you're itching yourself silly!)  
P.S. How the devil do they come names for drugs?  HA
Good report just since yesterday (but time will tell):  I've been taking " and "Carbinoxamin" 4 mg (at bedtime) and "Levocetirizine DHCL" 5 mg ( in the morning), for diagnosis of "Dermatographism" for just 2 days now and have had some good relief... just a little itching last evening but that has ceased. Frankly, I think ASPARTAME may have something to do with the problem... plus I've been OVER-MEDICATED for the past 2 months with all kinds of allergy medicines (including BENEDRYL & PREDNISONE).  My #1 future goal is to get off anything with Aspartame (seems to be mentioned quite often here) it and all medications!  
P.S. I feel everyone's pain and my best wishes to all!
This is scarry I think your right about the chemicals in the air, may just be affecting those that have allergies, I am the only one in my household that is itching..my family is looking at me like I am crazy, I been feeling the itch for two weeks now. My first assumption was maybe we have fleas..my cat sleeps with me. I found the black specks on the bed but not on the side where I am sleeping. so I don't think its the Margellos disease, so looking at every ones different problems if a doctor can't fix us then God can..I am leaning towards prayer..if there is no hope left thats all we can do...also about two years ago I experienced the metal taste in my mouth,,my chiropractor told me its my body getting rid of toxins, maybe I need to call him about the itch lol...he's a really smart guy..I do need to change my diet..but it can be anything which all I can do is hope, try what I can cuz it is annoying and I feel like I can go nuts. I was just trying to get a job here and all this happened, how can I if im constantly itching,,then hearing about the Measles then I had that in mind but I have no fever..or sores like those ....I feel for all of you, I would not wish this on my worst enemy.. I will keep all of you in my prayers !!!
I started itching to weeks ago, my first thought is fleas, I have cats and dogs. I use to let the cats sleep on my bed. now that I started this problem, I won't, I found black specs on my sheets way before the itching started and noticed they are there all the time even after washing and changing my sheets, I read almost everyone's post, I see a Endo doctor. so actually I thought it was the meds, so I changed back to synthroid still feel the same, so he told me to see him if still feeling itchy, I called my Primary doctor told the MA how I was feeling he just prescribed me something instead of getting down to the problem. I didn't take the meds due to if you don't know whats wrong don't prescribe me something that my harm me. I didn't like the fact that one said may cause blurry vision I am good lol..I am a culprit when it comes to taking medicines unless its going to affect my other organs like thyroid disease, so yes I am taking the meds, my heart doesn't race anymore I don't sleep at night because of the itch. so during the day im so tired I just fall right to sleep..going back to the flea problem, if your allergic to the bite. then you will itch for a week, well my itch is still here but i hadn't tried fumigating I am doing that today, I hope im not allergic to the poison lol..so if that doesn't help then I will try other things that most of you have...I feel for all of us..I would not wish this on my worst enemy !!!
Had the same thing from 12 years old to 48. NO SLEEP. I thank God I didn't go mad! The inside of my nose and the roof of my mouth even itched. I thank God that I can after all these years lay down and sleep after something like 40 or more years of that torture. I moved all the time while doing something like looking at tv. The on going scratching wore me out when at home and to go to bed after being worn out from moving from body part to body part with the itching and not be able to sleep because now I have nothing but the dark and the itching for the rest of the night with the movement and act of itching becoming its worst. But I think it's to do with nerve endings under the skin acting out as well. Doctors never wanted to put much effort up to help.
At 12 when the intense itch started, we all of our life were only aloud to eat sugar about 2 or 3 times a year and ate apples and oranges and the like. We did eat black strap molasses o lot, but that was about it. We only had flesh vegetables and baked chicken and beans, rice and nuts and ate very little if not anything canned. We were the healthiest kids in school. We had the whitest teeth and the brightest skin. Even the little boys in 1st grade wanted to see if they could take me in a fight because I as a little girl looked to be very strong for my small size. But it all happened any way and stayed until I was 48 years old. I am 53 now.
I lived in Ct but now after 40 or more years of intense itch am free from it. And I give thanks to God for it because the doctors did not listen or seem to care.
Why do you say 'under skin itch' ? That's interesting that you would say that. And also that you said it may be a circulatory problem. The people in this site seem to have more ideas than any of the doctors I went to. Sometimes it takes someone that is going though something to come up with a answer or idea. But how to get doctors to listen to something they don't take seriously is hard.
That is a great idea. I have looked into it at my health food store. I think anyone will feel better after such cleanse.
Ask your doctor about a prescription for Carbinoxamin" 4 mg (at bedtime) and "Levocetirizine DHCL" 5 mg ( in the morning), for diagnosis of "Dermatographism" ... it gave me relief from my itching the very next day!
I really have lost all faith in dermatologists and allergists. I have the same  condition that everyone here is describing and have been to 3 dermatologists and 3 allergists.  None of them have a clue as to what causes this itchiness all over.  Obviously a significant amount of people are dealing with this disease looking at the number of posts.  I understand if there is no cure, but can we at least have a real diagnosis?!?  My wife started itching about a year ago and dr's at Yale said she had urticaria. Hers finally subsided after taking 2 Zyrtec in am and 2 in pm with a doxepin. My itching started 6 months after hers.  Unfortunately, the antihistamines did not work for me.  Sarna and Gold Bond have been a lifesaver as well as Benadryl just to sleep at night.  We started with the same mosquito bite looking bumps on our legs and then it progressed to the entire body. I went to 6 dr's as stated above and was told that my itchiness was completely different. I did not gave any hives. They diagnosed me with eczema. I have never had dry skin in my life.  What the dr's won't take into account is that there is obviously an underlying virus, parasite or whatever causing this condition. My daughter just started itching so now I refuse to sit back and deal with this. We have ruled out scabies, bed bugs (I wish it could be that simply!).  Changed the detergents, stopped dryer sheets, changed diet, etc. My next step is to test our well. We have sulfur in it so I'm wondering if that could be a cause.
Sorry to vent but why aren't there any case studies being performed by these dermatologists/allergists!! Why don't blood tests tell you what is causing this condition. Time to do something docs!!  
Hi Pegbell,

I suddenly developed chronic hiving almost one year ago to the day.  Like you I have tried EVERYTHING with little and sometimes no relief.  The hives will come and go, but the itching is almost always there regardless.  Like you, hot water and or a hot hairdryer will relieve them temporarily.

I finally made this connection.  I take testosterone injections.  And the hiving gets worse about 7 days after the injection.  I inject 2.5 ml every 6 weeks.  I accidentally missed an appointment for my injection month before last and the hives were just suddenly gone.  

I have had a partial hysterectomy but still have my ovaries intact.  I am a 43 year old female with no real allergy or asthma issues. Healthy otherwise.   I think the hives are somehow related to estrogen overload.  I was told the body converts excess testosterone into estrogen.  I am not a doctor, but I cannot be convinced that my hives aren't hormone related.  Maybe there are other people like me.
My itching started about 2 months ago.  I don't do artificial sweetners, haven't in over 20 years.  They give me migranes (migraines).  My itching starts out normal, but when I scratch it it gets worse, like the nerve endings are irritated.  It lasts about 10 minutes and switches spots all the time.  It is not so bad if there is pressure on my skin, like wearing long sleeves or pants, but when I take off my sweater or socks etc... the recently exposed skin is even more itchy.  This is driving me crazy!
Your symptoms sound a great deal like the illnesses clustered together by various names: Myalitic Encephalomylitis (UK), NK-Cell Syndome (Japan), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Fibromyalgia (US).  There is a Facebook group where suffers share ideas, complaints, understanding, advice, etc.  It is called "Hunter Hopkins Center's ME/CFS/FM Private Chat Room."  While most patients seem to be women, tens of thousands  of men are also dealing with it.  It has been a help to me.
I have had all the same systems, itch all over, showering would ignite itch so bad I thought I would go crazy. So I was diagnosed with Idiopathic aquagenic pruritus...so I was put on many antihistamines, the help was awesome...the itch finely would rise its head past the level of medication, needed to increase antihistamines(with drs direction..Then it got bad again, would wake me up out of  a  dead sleep, up going out of my mind, finely I ask the doc to put me on Lyrica 75mg twice per day..I saw the commercial on fibermalga (sp), I don't have that but my nerve endings are fireing just like.....all over my body....since starting to take Lyrica and a combonation of antihistamines I finely can live a better life...its still there but I can live with a few pings, some  day's I might need to take one more doxepin 25mg...I also changed laundry soap and softner to All Free and Clear, it made a HUGE Difference...if I go anywhere I take my own towel, wash cloths, sheet and pillow cases, Aveno Baby Wash and lotion...I don't touch ANY fabic at all...chairs, sofas, ANY fabic....all of the above has made my life 99.99% better....hope this help someone....Best of Luck Debbie

I am also a sufferer of itchy skin that drives me crazy. There is no rash of any kind and my skin is not dry. Doctors have no idea what is causing it. Mine started after the birth of my son 17 years ago. It comes and goes. I am convinced it has to do with body heat and cold skin. It gets much worse when I am hot particularly in humid heat and my skin is cold and damp. It seems that my body temperature has to be in harmony with my skin temperature and if it is there is very little itching. If it isn't all hell breaks loose. I haven't had a shower for years as the damp skin with cold legs and arms drive me crazy. I have to take baths to warm up my skin. I wonder if it is to do with our hormones and maybe a hormonal imbalance? Any thoughts?
I feel your pain. I am bi-polar and have been for 40 years. when this itching started I talked to my doctor. not only did she take me off one medication she put me on visaril. this is an antihistamine which also handles stress and anxiety. after one week it is working. I take 20 mg twice a day and the itching and anxiety is gone. so I think anxiety and stress is the key element here to the itching problem for so many people. I was just lucky enough to have a doctor who recognized it. good luck.
Ask your doctor about a prescription for Carbinoxamin" 4 mg (at bedtime) and "Levocetirizine DHCL" 5 mg (in the morning), for diagnosis of "Dermatographism" ... it gave me relief from my itching the very next day!

P.S. Gold Bond "Rapid Relief" works very well for itchy blotches!
Oh dear. You are so young. Tell your parents. If they won't listen, do research and keep asking questions on forums. But it will be up to you and you alone to see this through. I know it ***** but diet,  water and probiotics are so important. And make sure to mention any and all other symptoms, even if they don't seem related. Yeast or candida overgrowth seems a common theme here. Sounds strange but food grade Diatomaceous Earth and Benzonite clay every day for a month or so helps kill off fungus (candida) and tears up any parasites but is not dangerous to humans. And the clay absorbs and eliminates trash including heavy metals. Kind of like an assassin and a cleaner. It cost me $15 for both online and they provide instruction. And so much food is literally poison. You have to educate yourself, like 15 minutes a day take the time to learn. I'm so sorry you're dealing with thus but I'd bet my life your body is overloaded and screaming at you. I won't go into detail but I speak from experience.
Viewing 601-721 comments: