Extreme itching on limbs... Very severe

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Extreme itching on limbs... Very severe

Since last week I have been experiencing severe itching that started on the palms of my hands, then moved to my feet, then my legs (but only below the knee), then my entire legs.  Now it's back to my feet again but last night it was my back.  At first I was attributing it to dry skin and stared smothering myself in lotion... no help.  Then I thought maybe it was just when I went from being outside in the cold to inside where it's warm...the temperature change.  That seems to trigger it most of the time, but there are also times when it happens for no reason.  There is no rash that I can see, just redness from me scratching it.  It is completely impossible to ignore it and not scratch it.  It's so severe that it literally makes me flinch sometimes.  What in the world could it be?  I haven't changed my soap, my shampoo, or my laundry detergent.  I haven't taken any new medicine, except for a pain killer prescribed by my dentist for some major fillings done the week before last.  I haven't taken one since early last week though.  Other than that I can't imagine what it is, but it's driving me crazy... somebody please help!
Avatar n tn
I've been having extremely itchy skin as well and I've been getting these weird pale bumps on my legs, many on my knees.  The itching has become so bad that I can't go out in public, I'll be scratching too much, and I was just wondering if you'd tried anything that helped to stop this.
Avatar n tn
Well, for a few days I thought it was my over-consumption of Diet Coke because I stopped drinking it and my itching went away.  Well, I still haven't had any but had another attack today.  I'm going crazy.
Avatar n tn
I have been suffering from the same kind of symptoms for over two years now, mainly after I shower or on a hot night, my arms and lower parts of my legs are extremly itchy. I have seen my doc and she told me to cut out using soap, so now I use qv bar, qv body wash for very sensitve skin and I have pinetar skin lotion and qv skin lotion. These seem to have helped although it hasnt wiped my problem away completley, if all else fails I have taken Loratdine tablets for hayfevers and things like that. I have also changed my washing powders to the sensitive types for babies. So hopefully you maybe can give some of these ideas a go because they do provide some relief although its not a cure it seems better than scratching your skin off in frustration. So I hope you can get some relief soon because I know how annoying it is.
Good luck!!