Dermatology Expert Forum
Extremely Itchy Rashes on Legs and Arms

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Extremely Itchy Rashes on Legs and Arms

My problem started a week after taking in 2 stray kittens for fostering, which was about a month ago with very small red bumps on my arms and legs that itched and spread when I scratched. I went to an outpatient clinic and they prescribed me an oral steroid b/c they thought it was just an allergic rash. It helped significantly with the itching and it looked like it was going away but after the 5-day dose ran out, I could feel it coming back. My PA also diagnosed it as an allergic reaction and gave me a steroid shot and allergy meds. Then, almost 2 weeks ago, my sister said that when she had ringworm, it looked similar to my rashes, so I bought some Lotrimin and it seemed to work a little bit, but what has worked the best is tea tree oil. So after this, I assumed it was ringworm and got both kittens tested for it. Today, after 11 days, the test came back negative. I thought for sure that it was ringworm but now I'm not sure. Tea tree oil has brought the rashes down significantly but it has spread a little bit to my stomach, around my belly button with tiny scabs, and near my armpits. I also had a small, circular scab in the inside of my elbow but after treating with tea tree oil, it is healing nicely. It feels like something is moving or growing and is always itchy. The kittens never had any signs of mites, like hair loss and they've already been treated for fleas and ticks, so I don't think it's mites, fleas, scabies, or chiggers.
I'm not sure.  You can get fungus (ringworm) from cats, in which case it's very hard to get rid of.  Sometimes it requires oral antifungal antibiotics.  I'm also not sure which test on the cats came back negative--fungal cultures, the definitive test, takes a month before it's considered negative.  If this is a fungus, cortisone creams and shots are likely to make you worse.  I think you need to see a dermatologist, who can examine you and perform the needed tests to tell you for sure what you have and to clear you up.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
About 8 weeks ago, I developed a strange rash on my left flank area.  They were tiny, flesh colored bumps that itched so bad.  It began to spread to my chest, perineum, legs, arms, armpits, wrists, and back.  Then, about 2 weeks later, I noticed two small flesh-colored bumps on each of the palms of my hands.  To the sides of these bumps were tiny black specks.  These bumps itched severly.  I dug the "black specks" out with a needle and the itching on my palms stopped.  Then after a few days, I noticed more flesh-colored bumps with tiny "black specks" to the sides of the bumps, in between my fingers and on other parts of my hands.  Sometimes it feels like the black specks are biting me.  I still have the rash all over my body that itches intensely.  I went to my internest after about 4 weeks of this and he diagnosed it as allergic dermatitis.  He prescribed a hydrocortisone cream and an antihistamine.  That didn't work.  Four weeks later, I went to our family practitioner who diagnosed it as impetigo.  He prescribed an antibiotic and prednisone for swelling.  That hasn't worked either.  I'm going insane with the itching and and the "black specks" on my hands are getting worse.  What on earth is this?
A doctor should have zeroed right in on scabies. Read up on it, and I bet you'll find yourself agreeing!
A related discussion, red itchy rashes was started.
A related discussion, swollen itchy rash was started.
A related discussion, spotty itchy rash was started.
A related discussion, rash was started.
A related discussion, Skin Rash was started.
A related discussion, burning,itching hive like rash was started.