Dermatology Expert Forum
Extremely Oily Scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Extremely Oily Scalp

A few years ago, I tried to blow-dry my hair after shampooing it when i noticed the scalp,(particularly around the crown area) was thick with a weird type of scalp oil..I tried re-washing it, only to see that NOTHING makes this type of oil coming from my scalp dissolve and wash clean. It's like it "sticks" to my hair for days.It happens every so often, but now it's almost weekly..I've tried to track a pattern, like maybe it's hormonal and comes during my monthly cycle..but it's completely random..I used to have beautiful staright hair..and now it looks as if I've overloaded myself with gel on my scalp in the morning. What could possibly be causing this? I've asked around, yet nobody seems to have heard of anything like it, not even my hair dressers!
Shawn:

Well, you got me there.  I don't know of any medical condition which makes the scalp suddenly much oilier than before.  I don't know that anyone has ever asked me this question either.  It also impresses me that your hair dresses are unfamiliar with it, because people are more likely to bring this kind of concern to the attention of a hare Dressler then a dermatologist.

My advice to you is to use any shampooing nor conditioning regimen which a person with oily scalp can use to help the hair look better.  There is no medical or systemic approach which I can think of to recommend.

Best.

Dr. R
Have you tried any oil-reducing shampoos?  Dandruff or anti-dandruff with salicylic acid or that blue stuff (hehe I can't remember the name)?
Dear Shawn,
Tea Tree Oil is a very good topical aid in all types of dermatological problems.  Many companies manufacture shampoos containing this oil.  If you can't find one, you can make one yourself by adding Tea Tree Oil to a low residue shampoo.  Another thing you could try is rinsing your hair with Apple Cider Vinegar diluted in water.  This helps with PH normalization and inflammatory scalp conditions.  And if these fail, one last thing you could try is rinsing your hair and scalp with Listerine after shampooing.  This used to be advertised (by Listerine) as beneficial for scalp conditions.  I've used all three methods and they have helped me.
Sincerely,
Ginny
My problems is that my scalp is being very oily lately.  I am a person with sensitive scalp and when I was young I use to suffer from dandruff.  I shampoo my hair twice a week, now I have to opt to shampoo my hair 3 times a week because it's exceeding more subum and I don't know a remedy for this problem.  As far as I'm concerned I tried everything, to suit this problem I use tepid water and rinse the conditioner with cool water in order to close the pores.  I try minimum message to lessen from pruducing more sebum and normally I use 2 shampoos (scalp cleansing) for a flaky scalp and (Deep Cleansing) it has the tea tree oil to combat the oily scalp.  However, I was wondering to buy a lotion for oily scalp to suit this problem, cause I reckon that the vast majority of shampoos don't heal.  Thus I need a treatment for dealing with seborrhoea which acts like blotting paper to soak up excess sebum and have an astringent effect on the glands with regular and continous use, will gradually cause them to shrink and produce less sebum.  If you know any other particular remedies, please tell me.  I am loosing alot of hair because of the condition of my scalp.  And If u know a good treatment shampoo, please state one, I am willing to buy it, whatever it takes!  Thanks in advance for your help.

Yours Sincerely

Bjorn Mayo
My husband has extremely oily scalp and I believe, consequently, was severely balding by the time he was 25. Now my son is experiencing a similar situation and he is not yet 20. I have looked for answers on the Internet. It surprises me that the related articles I have read are all about hair care treatments  and no one is asking: How is nutrition related to excessively oily scalp? If we find that answer, I believe we can prevent the oiliness and consequent baldness (my theory). The answers must be out there. Can someone help?
A related discussion, Oily Scalp was started.
A related discussion, Suddenly oily scalp!! was started.