Extremely itchy, contagious, small bumps

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I am absolutely DESPERATE to get some insight to this problem.

About a month ago, my boyfriend started to get this intense itching on his legs. There was no visible rash, just some redness and actual bruising from scratching so hard. He was worried it was jock itch and started treating it with an OTC anti-fungal cream for about a week. I made him take benadryl at night to help him sleep and thinking that if it were an allergic reaction, it would help to calm the itching. He decided to also try taking Zyrtec for the same reason. When he did not get any relief, and noticed that it was spreading to his hands, he went to a doctor that told him it was eczema. We switched all of the soaps and laundry detergents that we used- we washed everything we own in free and clear detergent, and I bought him baby soap, unscented lotion, and an eczema cream to use. The doctor prescribed a hydrocortisone cream, which provided some relief. However, the itching did not stop completely, and began to spread even more. He would get small bumps that would itch on other parts of his legs, hands, torso, and buttocks. The itching was so extreme that it would wake him up at night and he could barely sleep. He said the itching was not as bad during the day when he felt distracted with school and/or work. He made another appointment with his PCP this time, who stated it was most likely a fungal infection. He was prescribed an oral medication to take before working out that would be released in his sweat through his pores, and he was to let the sweat sit for a couple of hours after exercising before showering. He took two doses, separated by a week, and STILL got no relief. His doctor referred him to a dermatologist, and he has that appointment upcoming in four days.

At first, I was not exhibiting any symptoms, until a couple of days ago. I started scratching my foot mindlessly one night, and then realized I had started to bleed. I had completely scratched the skin off one area on the top of my foot. Since then, I have gotten two of these pimple-like bumps on my leg, one on my ankle, two on my torso, two under my butt, one on my knee, two on my arm, and two on my hand. They are very itchy, small, and flesh colored until they are scratched. When scratched, they seem to open up, getting even itchier, and swollen around the initial bump area. The pimples seem to come out of nowhere, and sometimes release a clear liquid or a miniscule amount of white pus, very much like an actual zit or clogged pore typically would. They scab over after a couple of days of itching but first burn like crazy when exposed to water.

I have checked for bedbugs, literally ripping open a portion of the mattress to make sure. I am rewashing all of the clothes, sheets, and towels again to be on the safe side. Given all of the things with which he has already been treated, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a bacterial infection that may be the cause, something that I could have caught from him, which could be treated with an antibiotic.

I've done my internet research, and found a number of other forums in which people have expressed similar problems, and none of which have any identified causes (like this one: http://www.*************.com/skin-care/c/question/390361/76275 ). I do not think this is an allergic reaction, eczema, bedbugs, scabies, lice, chicken pox, poison ivy (I know I'm not allergic), fleas (we have no pets), stress, or psoriasis. I am worried that his trip to the dermatologist will result in another missed diagnosis leading to more sleepless nights and feeling crazier. I don't have health insurance right now, so I'm not at liberty to get checked out directly.

Please respond if you think you have ANY help that you can offer. I am scared and getting desperate! We just moved to the west coast from the east coast, if there are any possible environmental causes to consider. Thank you for reading!
Did you ever find out what this is and how to treat it??? Me and some of my partners have the same thing and have had the same ordeal. 10 docs, 2 derms, 1 allergist - NO ANSWERS!

I have what sounds like something similar but it is on my hands. I have suffered from mild eczema on and off throughout my life but nothing like this.  It starts of as little blisters, is intensely itch then once itched becomes scaly and I am constantly shedding skin. I have to moisturize every hour or so.  It started as a small patch that has slowly spread

I have been to doctors and dermatologists, had patch testing for contact dermatitis, fungal tests, tried every strength steroid cream for eczema and I am now undergoing UV Treatment with no improvement.  My Fiancee has exactly the same condition.  I have been suffering for a few years and my partner started getting it about 6 weeks after we started living together.  The doctors and dermatologist think it is a strange coincidence (even though he has never had any form of eczema) but now my cleaner has a patch. (my hands are so sore I find it difficult to do anything like clean the house).

Although I live in New Zealand I started getting it not long after I had a friend from Vancouver staying for a few month - but that could be purely coincidental. It was just that you have said it's been since you moved to the West Coast.

I anyone has any ideas please le me know - I'm getting desperate
Did u find out what this was? My son (11 months old) has this exact thing. And it has spread to me and now his dad also. I know its not environmental because his dad doesn't live with us. I'm sick and tired of this itch and seeing my son like this. Help!
We live on the West Coast and my son started out having red itchy bumps on his wrist and in-between fingers that has spread to his chest, stomach, back, butt and now my daughter, husband, mom and myself have been getting the same thing. We have taken my son and daughter to the doctor multiple times and have ruled out scabies. They were given anti fungal cream but that doesn't help. We have an appointment with a dermatologist in two weeks. If I had to guess where this started from, I would say that when I was gardening and received a large amount of soil, my son was helping and got a lot of dirt on his hands. Perhaps there was something in the dirt.
Scabies! My original post was finally diagnosed as scabies. A dermatologist (a second one, anyway) quickly recognized these symptoms as being a result of scabies, and a swab from the skin examined under a microscope confirmed. We were given a special cream to apply twice, one week apart, to the entire body and my boyfriend (as the one with the original symptoms) took an oral medication as well. After about a week the symptoms were finally gone.

The worst part is that I think of scabies as being along the lines of an STD... Since my boyfriend and I had been together for sometime and were faithful, this was concerning, but the doctor said we likely picked the nasty buggers up from a not-super-clean hotel while we were traveling. Ick!

Good luck to anyone suffering, I hope you, too, have found your answer!!!
I started to get the red bumps about 6 weeks ago and the itching is so bad and about 4 weeks ago my son got the same thing we have been to the doctors several times and went through the scabies and bed bug scare and nothing. We are being treated with oral steroids and creams and they are not helping. I wonder how long it will take for someone to recognize that this is contagious and disabling. If you have found anything that helps or a good doctor that will take the time to try to figure out what this might be please let us know. Thanks and God Bless