Extremely itchy skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Extremely itchy skin

For the last 3-4 months I have been extremely itchy all over my body. At the beginning there was no sign of a rash and only a very few tiny almost insignificant bumps that were not red until I scratched them. I went to a dermatologist first and although she did not think it was scabies I was treated for it anyway. It did not help. Then I went to an allergist and was all the results came back negative. I am not allergic to anything. The allergist and also my primary care doctor issued a series of blood work testing for anemia, liver/thyroid irregularities, HDL/LDL. Cholesterol, Triglycerides, Glucose.. all of which came back negative. Now, only recently has a mild rash started on my thighs but it only really appears at night, however it is also extremely itchy. I have to clip my nails so as not to break the skin but I am leaving bruised on my legs from my fingertips constantly trying to create relief. It is unbearable sometimes. I've tried regular benedryl, aveeno lotions and body washes and nothing really helps. I've been on steroids (Prednisone) twice now which offer some relief but I know I can't be on them for long periods of time. Any ideas on what else could be a possibility?

This could be allergic reactions to unknown substances, skin hypersensitivity, eczema, dermatitis or insect/bug bites.

What is your age? Could you describe the rash a little?

Do you notice the lesions trigerred in response to a specific stimulus like sun exposure, some substance related to your work place?

You should try to keep the area dry and clean. Try some powder to absorb the sweat.

Apply calamine lotion at the site and take some oral antihistamine medications like loratadine or cetrizine for your complaints. You should wash all your linen and bed clothing once in an antibacterial solution and sun dry it.

If the symptoms are still persistent, consult your dermatologist and get a proper clinical evaluation done.

Let us know if you have any doubts and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Good luck.

I'm 21. The rash will be little pink bumps on my inner thigh (somewhat similar to that of a piece of raw chicken) that comes and goes. There are also different bumps that look more like insect bites but I never see any type of insect on me. The marks seem to be very sensitive because the skin breaks easily over them and I have lots of little red nicks and cuts where the bumps originally were.

I do not notice any specific stimulus. It just happens randomly. Sometimes it happens at work and sometimes it doesn't.

As for keeping the area dry and clean, I shower daily and am never in an environment warm enough to make me sweat. And the "area" is my entire body. My arms, chest, legs, back, even a little on my buttocks. And sometimes there aren't even bumps that are visible in a spot that is itching.

I wash my sheets, pillow cases and comforter about 3 times a week in hypoallergenic laundry detergent but that hasn't seemed to have any effect.

I've also seen my dermatologist already and out of the three doctors, seemed to be the least bit helpful. I've had blood work done and still no answers.
I have the same problem, I have had it since July the doctors dont seem to know what it is either. My wife seemed to have the same itching but scabies treatment seemed to have sorted it for her.
I have had four scabies treatment and still have the same problem. the scabies cream seemed to reduce the itching after a few weeks but it still keeps returning.
I live in the UK and I am not alergic (allergic) to anything either.
(It also gets really itchy when I remove clothing and air gets to my skin it the temp change seems to set it off )
have you had any luck in solving problem yet?
I have been experiencing the same things as these ladies.  Exactly, small red bumps mostly on my shins but I itch all over my legs.  I have bruises all over me from all the itching and sometimes, red more prominent bumps appear.  My arms used to itch but now it's mostly on my legs and a little itching on my chest.  I have tried body scrubs, body salts, body oils, mutliple moisturizers.  I thought for the longest time that it was because of the dry, winter weather.  This has been going on now for 3 weeks.  I start itching at various times during the day.  I take sometimes a double dosage of vitamin E, and gallons of benadryl, lotion and pills.  I don't know what else to do.  It seems that a dermatologist and/or doctor won't have the solution.  Please help.

Martha Trevino
Hi my name is Liz I suffer from extremely itchy skin It's mostly itchy on my legs And I am not allergic to anything too I scratch my legs so hard I leave bruises on them Even my tongue and my fingertips and my lips are itchy I went to the doctor and they don't know what it is either