Eyelashes Falling out

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Eyelashes Falling out

Wow! I just read about people having their eyelases falling out. I have the same problem, only it is one eye. I do not rub or touch them either. I look like a real strange person when I have no make up on my eyes. At one time they grew back, then after about a few months they fell out . I have wondered could a certain vitimin be helpful? This is so strange, one eye looks great the other bald.
    Thanks Marie

This discussion is related to eyelashes falling out.
im having the same problem with both eyes...someone told me to boil a potato in water..and use the potato water and dab it on ur lashes everynight..with in 1 to 2 wks ur lashes will grow..i havent tried it yet..but tonight im going to start this..ill keep u posted ,..if it works or not...
ive also heard it could be caused by a thyroid disorder,,..that im not sure yet..but ill keep u posted..
Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it too.
I do take Thyroid medication, sometimes I have thought it was the reason for losing my lashes ,
I haven't had a Dr. commit it is a cause as of yet.
  Thanks again anything safe is worth a try.

Marie48

My eye-lashes fall out only on the top, in the middle of both eyes.  They have grown back in the past but the last time they fell out - (4-5 months ago) they have not grown back.  They look like they will grow back but every couple weeks I check and they have not.  I have high-stress and have been told that this may be a form of herpes - pretty scary and I take vitamins, I do not rub my eyes, I am very frustrated but would love to hear from the people trying the potato water - if it works or not.....
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi.

Loss of eyelashes may suggest an underlying eyelid condition called blepharitis which is an " inflammation of the eyelids. It is characterized by inflammation of the eyelid margins. Blepharitis usually causes redness of the eyes and itching and irritation of the eyelids in both eyes."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blepharitis

I suggest that you have this assessed by an ophthalmologist. A slit lamp examination to determine any scaling, redness and swelling of the eyelid margins may help. Other causes of eyelash loss will be the more uncommon ones like alopecia areata and a psychiatric condition called trichotillomania wherein one plucks the eyelashes. I do not think this is applicable in your case.
I also have the same problem and it is just in my right eye and it is always at a little spot closer to my nose. It started in 2006 a couple years ago and shortly after that I noticed a small bald spot on the back center of my head. I have had my thyroid tested several times but it has always came back normal. Then I was diagnosed with alopecia, the spot grew back within about 9 months but the whole situation terrified me at first. I haven't had any problems with it ever since. But recently my eyelashes have been doing the same thing again, they will usually grow back within a couple of weeks but will fall out again, in the same spot. I am 24 and was 22 when I started experiencing these problems. It was very scary at first but I just have to put my trust in God that he will take care of it all!
I am 61 yrs. old.  I had my thyroid removed a few years ago and take synthroid now.  My lashes, top and bottom, fall out in clumps, but in no particular area.  As this has been occuring over and over, less come back and many of the lashes are irregular in length, and growing out sideways or crooked.  They no longer curl up when I apply mascara.  I am frustrated as you are.  I have mentioned this to my endocrinoligist, but he doesn't know why.  Then I mentioned it to my ophthamologist yesterday and he doesn't know what could cause it either.  He suggested asking a ophthamologist/cosmetic surgeon if he knows.  I noticed some individuals suggested seeing a dermotoligist.  That will be my next step.  Someone medically must know more about this frustrating problem and have a solution.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers