Face Breakout

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Face Breakout

I do not know if I have an skin infection or not. Whenever the weather changes from cold to warm or warm to cold, I experience breakout around my lower jaw area and around my mouth. It does not look like acne but it appears as red spots. I have gone throught this condition the majority of my life. Is their some control are not. I do not think at this stage of my life that their is a cure.

Please let me know what you think.

This discussion is related to SWEAT GLAND INFECTION ???.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Have you had a consult done with a dermatologist with regards to this?

Would you be able to give me a clear picture of these breakouts?

Here are a few questions to guide you:

Are these red spots flat or elevated?

Do they appear singly or do they appear as multiple spots?

Do they cluster together?

Is there any flaking or scaling involved?

Are they itchy, painful?

Any other similar lesions in other parts of the body?

Thr redness is flat and appears singly in typically in areas around my lower jaw area only. Over the years I have gone to various dermatologist and they kept telling me that I might have a bacterial skin infection and have recommended peniclllin like Cephalexin. The antibiotic seems to work within one week's time but I need to know why this keeps coming back and forth during the course of the year. It there something that I am doing wrong. I use good hygiene such as daily washing my face twice a day with mild soap (Ivory) and cleanser (Clean & Clear).

Maybe you can recommend a different approach.

Thanks, Dennis
Avatar_dr_f_tn

In your case ,one may consider bacterial folliculitis ( which I think was the condition you have been treated for ) and tinea barbae of the pustular type.The second one is caused by a fungal infection and may present similarly to  bacterial folliculitis. A fungal infection may be recurrent and chronic.It may also be aggravated by extreme changes in temperatures.

I suggest you get a second opinion on this.A potassium hydroxide examination may be confirmatory and help ascertain that this is a fungal infection.

For the meantime, refrain from repeatedly shaving the area ( do you do this? )as this may allow the infection to spread. Continue washing with mild soap and keep your face clean always. Avoid sharing towels.You may use a mild cream to moisturize the area.

Keep us posted regarding your physician's advice.
Hi Vanessa,

It appears that I might have a condition called Seborrheic Dermatitis.The mild redness appears on the face, scalp, eyebrows especially. However, I do not show any itchy or flaky of the skin. As stated before, my face is greasy and very oily. I wash before bedtime with mild soap and cleanser. When I wake up in the morning, my face is extremely oily. All my life it has been like this. The change in temperatures and oily skin are the common symptoms. Maybe this has cause my bacterial infection?

For starters, maybe I should start using a coal tar hair shampoo along with a mild face soap. Also pat dry my face during the day with cold water.

I know there is no cure for what I might have, but only controlling it. In the past, this condition has lower my self esteem and caused embarrassment.

Any direction I should take?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

With seborrheic dermatitis, the primary form of controlling the condition is frequent washing.In the scalp,frequent shampooing may be necesary to remove the excess oil present. In mild cases ,shampoo containing selenium sulfide may help.The shampoo may be left for a few minutes on the head prior to washing it off. Tar shampoos are usually used for more severe presentation as suggested by severe plaque formation.

I suggest you start with shampoos containing selenium sulfde or zinc.For the itching a topical corticosteroid may help.

Have you had this assessed by a physician?