Facial Cyst

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Facial Cyst

I had a small cyst on my chin, which I would periodically squeeze and clean of the sebaceous build up. Some ten days ago it got infected by some very aggressive bug so that the lymph nodes down to my armpit were enlarged. From a hard bump roughly 4mm in diameter and hardly distinguishable from the surface it grew to a cavity the size of a dime when it was inflamed, producing an enormous swelling. I had my doctor lance it as in my teens and early twenties I had bad experience with cystic acne and most of my present scars are a result of reinfections at particular spots. (I wear a beard now and I haven't shaved it for over ten years.) There turned out to be an ingrown hair, which I removed. It healed quite slowly and the end results is that I have a rather large bump with a visible scar from the incision. I am really afraid of a new infection. The cyst is large, on a visible place that cannot be concealed and given what I experienced so far I am considering having it removed.
Does anybody have experience with such a problem? What are the options?
I am concerned about the scar produced by such a procedure. Shall I let a dermatologist do it or shall I search for a plastic surgeon?
Thank you in advance.