Dermatology Expert Forum
Facial Rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Facial Rash

I developed what I think is a rash on my face, under my nose in the creases of my laugh lines. The skin is red and sometimes is bumpy and flakey. I have had it there for about 3-4 months and just recently it has spread to around the left side of my mouth and on each side of my chin. Also I think it is on my forehead above my left eyebrow. It isn't red on all of those places, only on my laugh lines. The other places are just red bumps that appear oily like acne, but they are itchy. The skin around the bumps isn't red. I went to my PCP and she prescribe DesOwen cream, I've used it for 2 weeks and it hasn't helped at all. I've on my own tried, neosporin, cortaid, cortison and Slesun Blue (I heard that kills fungal type conditions). I've also tried using Cetaphil soap which is suppose to be a very mild soap. I am on Alese which is a birth control and am wondering if it could be a reaction to that. I think the rash started about a month or so after I started that birth control. I haven't changed any makeup product or soaps that I am aware of. I even stopped wearing make up for 2 weeks to see if my face would clear up and it didn't. I have never had problems with my complextion in my life. Can you tell me what I should do? or what it might be.
Your rash sounds like eczema, but DesOwen should have helped at least a little.  It doesn't sound like an allergic reaction, certainly not to the pill.  I think you'll want to see a skin doctor for definitive diagnosis and treatment.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
A related discussion, Similar problem was started.