Dermatology Expert Forum
Facial hair not re-growing after shaving beard

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

I am an adult male and grew a beard for the first time only a few months ago.  It looked pretty nice, the hair came in fine, etc.  I only wore it for about a month and then I decided to shave.  After shaving for about a week, I decided to grow it back, but now the hair is not filling back in the way it used to.  It is coming in very thin and you can hardly see it at all.  But the main concern is a series of patchy, white circles along my chin and goatee area.  These areas are not filling back in at all - from the way it looks, you would think hair never grew in these places before.  Even when I am freshly shaved, you can still see these white, patchy circles standing out.  It has been like this for several weeks now.  Is this possibly an infection of some kind?  Did the month or so I stopped shaving for have something to do with this?  I can't think of anything else that has happened recently to coincide with this event.  If there is any advice you can give me, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks!
William:

It sounds like you are describing alopecia areata of the beard.  This is a common condition in which the body fights itself--leaving round, smooth, bald patches.  It happens on the scalp and other body parts too.  Cause is unknown, but generally is not associated woth internal problems.  In most cases, the hair grows back in by itself after a few months, though it may recur.  Treatments are not too helpful.  The association with shaving is, I believe, a coincidence.

I suggest you see a doctor to confirm this diagnosis.  Meantime, shave as close as you can so you look normal.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, Facial hair was started.