Dermatology Expert Forum
Facial rash
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Facial rash

Recently I have had an acne-like rash on my face which was completely cleared up with Doxycycline. I have never had anything like this before and was wondering what could be causing it.

Now, the whole long story: In June, just when getting over a cold, I came down with extreme fatigue, aches and night fevers and sweats. I went to my doctor who checked me for mononucueosis and found nothing. Not satisfied, I treid another doctor. This doctor told me I had bronchitis and gave me an antibiotic that began with a Z (can't remember the name)(5 days worth). She also noticed that my heart beats too fast and gave me propanolol (10mg twice a day) to slow it down. After a couple of weeks, I developed a head to toe rash of small slightly raised bumps which did not itch. The rash went away after a few days and the doctor said it was from the antibiotic. Then, about a month later, I gradually developed a rash on my face and neck which resembled acne, except that it itched somewhat. I kept it for about a month with no improvement. When I went back to the doctor, she said it was folliculitis and gave me Doxycycline (100mg twice a day) and retin-A cream. The Retin-A made my face red but the rash cleared up in just a few days. I was very happy although my face continued to be red from the cream. Then, about a week or so after I ran out of Doxyclycine, the rash came back even worse. I called and got some more Doxycycline and in 2 or 3 days the rash had cleared up. In the mean time, I had read that propanolol can cause an acne-like rash so I stopped taking it.

What do you think could be causing it? I never really got over my teen acne (I'm 37). I usually have anywhere from 0 to 2 pimples (usually small) on my face and neck at any one time, and several more on my chest and shoulders, but nothing anywhere near like this was.

Oh, I should also mention that the recurrence of the facial rash coincided with a case of extremely bad scrotal itching (with no visiable rash).

Sorry for being so lengthy.