Fast growing fatty tumor

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Fast growing fatty tumor

I noticed a lump on my back about 2 months ago.  My Dr. diagnosed it as a fatty tumor messuring 3 in about a month ago and is nothing to worry about.  Since then it has gotten much larger and is now causing pain.  I have no insurance and little money.  Is it possible it could be something else?    
It could be a large cyst. I get these all the time. If one presses on a nerve it could cause pain, even though there is no infectious process. These have a well-defined shape, usually sort of oval or spherical. Why not just have it removed?
How did your problem turn out?  I am just at the start of mine..I was standing in front of a mirror in the bathroom when my hubby pointed out a bump on the back of my right shoulder above my collarbone about the size of an Egg.  I had noticed some tightness in my back and shoulder on that side and had been prescribed flexoril to help me with muscle spasms.  My hubby snapped a few photos with my ipad and i emailed them to my dr.  Who sent my for an xray and a ultrasound and finally took a look at it first hand and said it is the size of a lemon 8-11-2012 and when he measured the thing and told me it is a lipoma and referred me to surgery who did not see me until yesterday and they told me it is 10 centimeters and my husband agreed with me that is is probably the size of a cheeseburger now.  In my appointment with the surgery clinic they explained that due to the size they would refer me to an actual surgeon but that typically what is done, is that a slit is made and the think pops right out, practically on it's own unless it gets tangled with any surrounding tissue, muscle etc.  So now I am scheduled for my surgery to have this thing removed and that isn't until October 8th.  That seems like a long ways away if this thing is still growing because it is getting pretty tender around my rotator cuff as well as the right side of my neck :(  I just want it out of there,  They probably would have biopsied it by now.  They even asked me if I want to be away for the surgery or put out... I don't think I want to remember this story later..