Dermatology Expert Forum
Feet itching badly.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Feet itching badly.

My wife and I went to the community hot tub at our apartment complex two days ago, and yesterday she developed a horrible itching on both of her feet. The itching is so bad she can't sleep at night, and we've tried athletes foot creams, "Lanacane" (active ingredients: Benzocaine 20% and Benzethonium Chloride .2%) "Itch-X" (Benzyl Alcohol 10% and pramoxine HCI 1%), "Gold Bond", and "Cortizone 10" all with no success at releiving the itching. There is no visible rash or peeling, the feet look perfectly normal. We're not suyre what to do next.

Is there a possibility that she got some sort of fungus or parasite from walking barefooted in the common pool area??

Thanks for your time,

-David
I don't think fungus is at all likely.  First, fungus is visible--you can see scaling of the soles, between the toes, and so forth.  Second, fungus is slow to develop--it doesn't just pop up overnight.  Third, the old idea that you get fungus from pools and locker rooms is largely not true.  Most people who have fungus do not pick it up in such locations.

On the other hand, thinking you have something unpleasant like fungus can make you plenty itchy.  There certainly aren't many conditions which make people itchy without a rash other than stress and anxiety.

My advice is to go to the drugstore and pick up some Sarna lotion (over the counter.)  Have your wife apply it liberally and often, every time she feels itch.

If that doesn't break the cycle of itching and scratching in 3-4 days, she should see a doctor.  But I doubt she will find that she is infected or infested.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Hi Dr.,

Can you please help me.

I really messed up and now Im really scared.

I didnt have sex with a girl but fooled around with her pretty extensively (there was some penis to vagina contact but no intercourse).

Subsequently, about 3 weeks after,..I developed a really bad rash on my penis which lasted for around 3 weeks.  The rash itched alot and when I masturbated I would break skin (I stopped masturbating the majority of time during those 3 weeks).

The rash went away for a month.  Now, I noticed a reoccurence of the rash about a month after the first episode.  It is not even close to as bad as before (no itching at all)but has formed what I think are ulcers.  The ulcers have scabbed (about 2 pin point size scabs)and now fallen off.  Currently, I have a fissure (more like a 2 millimeter groove) that is red.

Right now, it looks like it is clearing up,..but this whole second episode has taken 10 days.

Do I have herpes ?...

Please respond cause I have no health insurance and Im petrified.
Try soaking your feet in vinegar for about a minute or so.
I developed this small rash/outbreak right above my navel overnight. A very small patch of pimple like bumps formed which contained puss. They don't itch and there is mild to no pain. I do have allergies and was curious could it be something I ingested? I went to a university doc and she said just watch it and if it gets worse to contact her. It seems to be clearing up after 2 days but what would have caused it? There are no other outbreaks anywhaere on my body. I am a male and I do have safe sex with other men. Is it a form of STD?
A related discussion, Severe itching on feet and palms was started.