Filiform wart on hand?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Filiform wart on hand?

I'm a twenty year old male. I've developed a small wart on my left hand. It's been growing somewhat quickly these past few days, so I intend to use over the counter salicylic acid on it. However, I went online, and comparing my wart to pictures on the internet, it looks like I have a filiform wart - but websites say that this wart is most commonly seen on the face.

I had warts on my hand once before - flat warts, a lot of them, but they cleared up after a year or so without me having to do anything. This one looks a lot different. So...

1. Is it very unusual to have this type of wart on my hand?
2. Can I treat this type of wart with standard salicylic acid?
3. Should I be concerned that this wart will spread to my face?
  • help (1 replies):
    i have a wart on my testicle, it just one wart i've had ...[more]
  • give me wart treatment (1 replies):
    i have a white wart on my lower lip.there is no pain in ...[more]
  • Lip Warts Suck! (2 replies):
    Does anyone know how to get rid of warts on the outside ...[more]
  • genital warts (2 replies):
    i just found out that i have genital wart my doctor said...[more]
  • warts (1 replies):
    I have wasrts onjust about everyone of my fingers. i hav...[more]
Filliform warts are mostly located on the eyelids, face, neck, or lips and rarely found on hands. However rarely they may be found on other body parts. As for their treatment options, several medications (like podophyllum resin, Podofilox (Condylox), Trichloroacetic and bichloroacetic acids, Imiquimod 5% cream and interferons) are available, which can be applied directly to the surface of the warts. Other treatment options include electrical cautery, surgical removal, Carbon dioxide laser treatment and electrodesiccation.

Regarding their spread, it is advisable to avoid touching other body parts after touching them as the HPV virus may spread.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.