Dermatology Expert Forum
Finger Rash/Infection

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Finger Rash/Infection
I have a 2 x 4 cm red, itchy rash in my ring finger.  I believe it started by dirt and moisture getting trapped under my wedding ring.  it has spread to its current size over about 3 months.  I have been trying tinactin creams which dry it out a bit, but have not slowed or reduced it. Any thouhgts or advice?
Mark:

Yup.  Get a prescription for a strong cortisone cream (tinactin is for fungus).  Apply it twice a day for 10 days.  Leave the ring off when possible.  Once the skin heals, you can wear it all the time again.  Doesn't sound like a metal allergy.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Thanks so much!  after 1 application of over-the-counter hydrocortisone, the rash is responding very well!

Thanks again!