Finger fungus?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Finger fungus?

I've had this,what appears to be, fungus on the middle finger of my right hand at the fingernail. It's actually affected the growth of the nail on one side. It ges better and it gets worse. At it's worst, around the cuticle is sore,red and the nail appears to want to come away. I've tried over the counter nail fungus creme but to no lasting effect. In the past there has been pus that I've 'forced out'. I've had it for about a year now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
                                                    Jim
It can be due to paronychia and not fungal infection. It results from a breakdown of the protective barrier between the nail and the nail fold.

Treatment includes warm water soaks of the affected finger 3-4 times per day,oral antibiotics, topical antifungals and surgical intervention in more severe cases. My sincere advice would be to consult a dermatologist.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep us posted on how you are doing. Kind regards.