Finger tip splitting

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Finger tip splitting

I am a 21 year old female with no prior skin ailments with the exception of some mild teenage acne. approximately one month ago i noticed the skin on my left index finger appreared very dry so i began treating it with cuticle oil and heavy moisturizures. After a week of no noticible improvement, a friend suggested the possibility of fungal nail infection, although my nail was clear and growing normally. I used Dr. G's Clear Nail Antimicrobial Solution as directed (7 days, twice daily). Agian, no luck. My finger was no longer just dry, but peeling and scaley. Becoming desperate I've even tried Lamisil's creme for athletes foot. Granted I'm not in serious pain, this is a very annoying condition that has now split revieling bright red skin. Its even start to curve down the side of my nail. Please help!!
Thanks!
Various possibilities for peeling fingertips are contact dermatitis and contact with harsh detergents, soaps and lotions. Sometimes cold, dry air can cause  peeling and dermatitis or fungal infections can also cause peeling.

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used, whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid.

Symptoms can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin. During the day, hydrate and protect hands with a protective and moisturizing cream. At night, repair them with creams formulated from glycolic acid—a must for improving skin texture and tone. If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist. Fungal infections and eczema have to be ruled out then.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hi - I use a product called Rock-Tips to deal with pain and dryness in my fingertips. It's sold to musicians for building their calluses, but it also works great in sealing up cracked and dried out skin and protecting the skin from the elements. It's totally transparent and lasts for several days per application. Non-toxic too.