Fingernail fungus? Black dot/strip - needs help pls

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I have been noticing a black dot/strip has been growing underneath my nail near the bedding.   Also on my toenails there are longer black strips that resemble what I have on my hand.  Is this fungus and what do I need to do?   My wife has noticed it very recently on her thumb and we are all freaked out.

Please help.

booseattle
Avatar_dr_f_tn

How are you? As we age, nails thicken and become more susceptible to nail conditions and infections. Circulatory problems and use of medications also increase the risk of developing a nail condition.

Fungal infection or onychomycosis tends to run in families because of an inherited tendency, but not everyone is susceptible. While some fungal nail infections may respond to topical antifungal creams, lotions, and gels, most infections of the nail plate require oral medications prescribed by your doctor.  On the other hand, splinter hemorrhages appear as a red to reddish-brown fine, vertical line that resembles a splinter beneath the nail, this disorder occurs when blood vessels in the nail bed are damaged or from a nail injury.  If a dark spot or streak appears on any nail, and is not the result of an injury, it must be examined by a dermatologist to rule out melanoma.

I would recommend that you have this evaluated further by your doctor or be referred to a dermatologist for proper diagnosis and management. Take care and regards.
I was okay trying to control(possibly) the fungus on my toes and my thumb and index fingernails.  Now it needs like what my wife is having(black dot on her thumb) now resembles what I had once upon a time.  I don't want her to fight with fungus.    

I did see a dermatolgist yesterday and she said my toes are likely fungus-related but she had I didn't have enough nail for samples.  Prescribed me Penlac(sp?) and asked me to go back when the toenails grow out...

I am so confused now.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

It is good that you were able to see your dermatologist. Continue the medication prescribed  and do return for the nail sampling. Definitive diagnosis of a fungal infection is through samples evaluated under the microscope for fungus. She is in the best position since she can evaluate the lesion in your nails personally. Try not to be confused with the differentials I presented.  Have your wife seen also for proper management. Take care and keep us posted.
should my wife go see a dermatologist now?  She only has maybe a tiny tiny  black dot underneath her right thumb?