Dermatology Community
Fingertip Pain!
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Fingertip Pain!

I have had recurring pain in my fingertips for over 2 years. My doctor said they were not able to notice anything unusual, and had no idea. She recommended I come in when I have something visible on my finger.
HOWEVER, there is nothing visible while I am in pain!
Every few months, my fingertips start to hurt, and it feels like I have been playing in fiberglass insulation or something! It feels like a splinter, because there are specific locations, the size of pinpricks, that hurt. Nothing is visible, my fingers look completely normal! They are painful enough that I can't pick anything up, and my hands are all but useless! Then, after a couple of days, the pain is gone, and in the place where the pain was, there is an open blister. It looks as if there were a blister there, that has "popped", but I never see a blister! The blister spot is gone within 1-2 days.
When this first started, I got very sick with flu-like symptoms, and has this occuring on both my hands and feet. I was unable to get out of bed, because walking was so painful. After the cold went away, my hands and feet were just covered with empty blister spots, and the pain was gone. I thought that because it had gone, it must have just been some strange virus!  (We jokingly referred to it as "Banana Fever"!)
However, it was not as funny when the pain returned, and continued to return for the last few years. It has only returned on my hands though, and mostly on my fingertips.
I know that my blood sugar is normal, so I don't think it's anything diabetes-related, and I don't have any numbness or tingling, so I don't know that it's anything nerve-related?
Please let me know if anyone know what this is, because I am miserable!