Firm red bumps on arm.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Firm red bumps on arm.

I have a small bump on my shoulder, slightly smaller than a pea. It is red and firm and has been there for years. It has never changed size or colour and has never hurt. Now it seems a second one is forming on my elbow of the same arm. I went to a dermatologist last summer who identified it for me with ease. Unfortunately I don't remember what she said it was. I do remember that they are harmless, common and the reason they form is unknown. She said that the removal of them is considered cosmetic (not covered by my provincial health care) and leaves a scar. I'd like to get mine removed, does anyone know what I'm talking about? Thanks.
Does a "ganglion cyst" ring a bell?
Nope, definitely not that.
Cherry angioma.  
No that's not it either. I think it had fibre in the name somewhere, but the name was jargon so I'm not sure.
Sounds like it is a dermatofibroma.

Fibroma Durum is a hard fibroma that consists of many fibres and few cells. If seen on the skin it is known as a dermatofibroma and a special form is the keloid.

dermatofibroma look like a round, brownish to purple growth commonly found on the legs and arms. Dermatofibromas contain scar tissue and feel like hard lumps in the skin.

It is unknown why people grow dermatofibromas. Some may be caused by insect bites or other disruptions of the skin.

Dermatofibromas are best ignored if possible, they are deep and if removed will leave a scar.

Another type of skin fibroma is the Soft Fibroma called Fibroma Molle.  This is the soft fibroma or fibroma with a shaft that is also called acrochordon, skin tag, and fibroma pendulans.  It consists of many loosely connected cells and less fibroid tissue then the hard dermatofibroma. These usually appear at the neck, armpits or groins but can be elsewhere like the eyelid.

Fibroma Molle looks like a skin tag that is a small, brown or flesh-colored flap of skin that is usually narrow at its base.

.
Mmm Cherry angioma. I never heard of that before, but I have looked into it and have learned that is what I have.  So thanks for that, I was able to learn something new and find out what my little red blobs are called.

I have had one on the top of one of my eye lids ever since I remember from a very young age, could have been born with it, I don't know.

As I have grown older, more of them have appeared on my neck and I have two on one of my breasts that have been there for years.

Best wishes.
The message about dermofibromas was intended to be sent marked for you.  But I accidentally pressed the wrong button before I pasted your name and it was sent without who it was for.

Anyway does that ring a bell?  It certainly sounds like that's what it is.

Best wishes

That's it! I'd love to ignore it but I loathe the thing. It feels like an invasion, not to mention it's embarrassing. Thanks for your help.
I'm glad we have managed to find out what they are.  Fibroma popped into my head, but I wasn't too sure and had to check it out.

I presume they are the hard ones.  You would have to speak with your dermatologist about having them removed with regard to scarring and whether they would return after a few years.  If they are the deep ones, they usually return after a fews.  I believe the procedure is to burn them off. I had a mole on the back of my neck burnt off.  Once you know all about removing them and the scarring, it will be your decision whether you still want it doing.

If they are the skin tags, they are much easier to get rid of.  I tied a piece of cotton thread to one of my husband's and it did hurt him.  Eventually it went black and dropped off.  He has lots of skin tags, but won't let me touch them - I wonder why! LOL :)  As we age we get them, and occastionally I get one growing and pull if off.  It is sore for a while.

I have some moles on my face and the doctor wouldn't remove them at the surgery when he got rid of the one on the back of my neck (I used to catch it when I brushed and combed my hair and it would be sore).  He said I would have to be referred to hospital for that and removing them would leave a scar.  Your'e left with a white mark where it was.  There have been bad reports about the hospital in my town so I thought it was too risky to get them removed, plus the fact that my husband says they are a part of me.  So I stil have them on my face.

Best wishes