Dermatology Expert Forum
Flaking, peeling skin on fingers

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Flaking, peeling skin on fingers
Recently, the skin on the fingers of both of my hands has been flaking and peeling.  It starts with my fingertips and is especially bad on the sides of my index fingers.  It has been going on for several months.  I have always had VERY dry skin on my hands and feet but never problems like this.  My feet are peeling as well.  Moisturizers help but do not alleviate the problem no matter how much or how often I apply.  I haven't begun using any new products lately for skin care, cleaning or anything else that my hands come into contact with.  I live in AZ, so the weather is constantly very dry, but I don't think there has been anything unusaul lately.  Could it be an allergic reaction to something?  Help!  It doesn't hurt, but is so irritating and ugly!
It sounds like dyshidrotic eczema, a common and unimportant skin condition which produces little blisters on the fingers, hands, and sometimes feet.  Cause is unknown-it's not an allergy.  Treatment is not absolutely necessary, but if you are very troubled by it, a doctor can prescribe a cortisone-based cream, which usually helps.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
If it's on the palm of your hands and bottom of your feet might be a fungus use clotrimazole.
I have the same thing or something very similar too.  I ALSO live in Arizona.  I dont think what I have has anything to do with blisters.  Really been bugging me to figure out what it is though.  sillydino: let me know if you are able to resolve it or find out what it is.

I'M NOT SURE THIS IS HELPFUL BUT 2 YEARS AGO I HAD BLISTERS FORM ON MY FINGERS AND HANDS WITH SKIN PEELING AND LOOKED PURPLISH, BUT ONLY SLIGHT ITCHING.  THEY STARTED TO APPEAR RANDOMLY OVER MY BODY.  THE DR PUT ME ON PREDNISONE BECAUSE HE THOUGHT I HAD A REACTION TO SULFER MEDS I WAS TAKING FOR A BLADDER INFECTION. AS SOON AS I STOPPED TAKING THE PREDNISONE, THEY CAME BACK.  I DID MY OWN RESEARCH AND DISCOVERED IT WAS ERYTHEMA MULTI FORM.  I WAS IN A JACUZZI AT A HOTEL 1-2 WEEKS BEFORE THEY APPEARED.  I WAS ON THE STERIODS FOR 3 MONTHS AND THEY FINALLY WENT AWAY.  NEVER HAD THEM AGAIN BUT WAS GLAD THEY WEREN'T MYSTERY......
I have the same thing you describe for over a yr. now.  i have been to over 10 dermatologists.  Have been diagnosed with psoriasis,irritant dermatitis, and dishydrotic excema. I had been working around a lot of chemicals in which they all were quick to determine was the cause.   I was forced to leave my job and I am still having outbreaks.  I have never had any allergies or skin problems in the past.  Steroids make all signs go away but within days of the last dose bumps reappear. There has to be an answer to what we are dealing with.  Please let me know.
I have been trying clotrimazole and it seems to be working.  I don't think it had anything to do with blisters, either, it just looks like my skin is so dry that it starts to peel.  I used Kenalog for a while, which helped a little, but not a lot, as well as a prescription moisturizer called Carmol, which worked fine for my feet, but left my hands feeling gross.
A related discussion, can you help me? was started.
A related discussion, hand skin peeling badly on fingers was started.
A related discussion, Itchy sore in between fingers was started.
A related discussion, only the tips of my fingers are peeling bad was started.
A related discussion, Dry, cracking fingertips was started.
A related discussion, Scar was started.
A related discussion, sever dry peeling skin on hands was started.
Very informative article thx. My problem was hydration. I found after sports activity within a few hours my finger skin just above my nails would peel in strips. At first I thought I had lost certain nutrients through sweating. I took multiple-vitamins and supplements with no help. Simply drinking water more than you think is enough had a repeatable effect. I tested this theory a number of times and the abundant water in take had an almost immediate positive effect. You'll be surprised how much water your body really needs. In some way the peeling skin was a alerting condition for my body's own condition. Listen to your body it has it's own way of telling you it needs something.
A related discussion, What do I have? was started.