Flaking, red bumps around outside of mouth

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Over the past several months, I've developed a series of small red bumps around the outside of my mouth (chin, corner of lip). The bumps have led to some flaking.
For a while, I ignored the bumps thinking it was a mild case of eczema and the problem would resolve itself with time and extra moisture.
However, the bumps have spread farther along my chin and have gotten more pronounced (more flaking and redness).
I have had trouble with herpes simplex in the past on different corners of my mouth, but this is different than anything I've seen so far.
It's getting to be very annoying and I'd like to find a way to resolve the problem.

Thanks!
It sounds like perioral dermatitis. Perioral dermatitis like acne is a chronic papulopustular and eczematous facial dermatitis. It mostly effects women and appear around the nose, mouth and eyes. Treatment consists of oral antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs. A mild soap or soap substitute, such as Dove or Cetaphil should be used for washing. Scrubbing should be avoided.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you for your help! I am going to try using milder soaps on my face and applying some form of topical ointment.
I will keep you updated.
Thanks again!
Hello:

I have recently been getting alot of pimples on my face mostly on my cheeks and in the pimples are coming in the same area....now it is flaking I don't know if that a good sign?  Also what can I do to eliminate this problem?  
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers